Sign in to follow this  
Boganlicious

What changed?

Like many others I have struggled to lose weight on my own. For those who struggled and then lost weight through WLS what was it that made it different to other failed attempts? I hope that question isn't offensive to anyone I would really like to know because I'm seeing the surgeon in the first week of February and will be applying to access my super so I can book in a date. 

Just for me to get a bit of background info:

• Which surgeon did you decide upon?
  • And which sort of WLS would you prefer to have? 
  • And why?

Me:  I did a LOT of research first. A huge amount.  I had two friends who I thought would be super supportive of me having WLS, and every negative they came up with, I had to come up with some info *sigh*.  Anyway, my research determined that that WLS was the best option for me*, and also that "the sleeve" was, for me, a better choice than having an adjustable lap band ("the band").  *Please read my blog for links to all the research (also includes research into various other interventions for weight loss, and what is impressive is the results of having WLS vs not).

I had already decided on having "the sleeve" prior to going to an information evening December last year run by my surgeon (Stephen Watson).  What I gained out of that evening, is that the sleeve effectively removes the fundus of the stomach, which is the area that produces grelin - the hormone that makes you hungry. That just clinched it for me!

So for me, two things in particular that pre-op I really was looking forward to:

• reduced hunger; and
  • reduced capacity.

So, now, nearly 12 months down the track (2nd Feb), I have NO regrets!

Yes (so, benefits!):

• reduced hunger; and
  • reduced capacity

This means ALSO:

• limited ability to binge on refined carbs (you know how I bang on about those lol!), and getting out of the hideous carb cycle (crave-eat-crave-eat etc).
  • weird, but true.  I've basically lost the hankering/craving for (well, for me!) normal, healthy eating "deal breakers".  Them sneaky lil' liquorish allsorts in the bulk bins at "Spud Shed", and pink (had to be pink) iced doughnuts (six to a pack) at Coles (not at my local, thankfully!).  I can walk past them - in the case of the liquorish allsorts, they don't call out to me at all; pink iced doughnuts  - I am tempted, do a bit of rationalisation - "Is this 'head" hunger, or real? Would I go home and eat whatever healthy food I have, already cooked?" - if the answer is "No", then I know that it is "head" hunger.  DON'T go shopping on an empty stomach, no matter whether or not you have had WLS!  Yes, I have given in, about three times total in 12 months! Lost any hankering/chocolate craving.  Find protein bars now, such as "Quest", too sweet.
  • The reduced capacity means also that I can't eat as much of the "healthy" food as I used to.  Obviously, I just used to eat too much of it in the past for me to get back into the obese category!

I am happy with my new body. I feel confident in that I no longer feel fat, and judged as so.  I have had skin reduction surgery, and gained a body that never before have I had! Wooo-hooo! (Going for the Audrey Hepburn look, not the Kardashian...)

I am very happy with the way I look in the mirror!

My BP has decreased, and my blood work is perfect.

All the best, and I hope that this has helped,

:)

• Like 2

My surgeon is Dr Basson through the BMI clinic and he does lapbands as well as sleeves. I believe they also do bypass too but that's not something I've considered. 

I'm leaning towards a band because the thought of a sleeve really scares me. I know all WLS has risks but the thought of the staples leaking terrifies me. I like that the sleeve removes grelin but I like that the Lapband is adjustable. 

I like what you read about head hunger and how you determine if you're actually hungry. 

• Like 1

The difference for me is physical restriction with my band. Before my band...I could eat whatever, whenever! I didn't think about it, if it tasted good, I ate it. My biggest thing was carbs. I loved pizza, burgers, pasta, snitzels etc. so I knew the band was right for me. Because now I physically have a barrier between me and food, I don't even bother trying to eat things I know are bad because they can and will get stuck, so what's the point in shoving your face full of food when it's just going to come back up anyway? For me, that is the biggest plus of the band. My mind has to always be on the ball. Will this fit? Is it worth it? Do I need to eat this? And if I answer yes to all then PB, I know my limits for that type of food. I'm still learning about what I can and can't have. Somedays I just want to rip the bloody thing out but most days are a lot easier and nothing goes wrong. No regrets though, it was worth every hard earned cent. Good luck!

• Like 2

Just to clarify - the loss of hunger through the hormone, grehlin disappearing with the sleeve surgery does not always mean one has no hunger in the early days post surgery. Also, it's very important to know that real hunger is highly likely to come back after the initial 6-18 months, post-surgery, "honeymoon stage" of the sleeve surgery.

it is also highly common to be able to eat more at one sitting after the honeymoon stage with the sleeve surgery. In fact my surgeon, Mr Aly, told me that there is now a fairly high percentage of sleevers a few years down the track who's sleeved stomach expands back to the original, pre-surgery stomach size. (Mr Aly is a highly respected bariatric surgeon in Australia). 

it is highly important to realise that WLS is only a tool and it's hard work and diligence to stop the bad eating habits to creep back in and put on all your weight plus some - this outcome is very common in the WLS community. If not all the weight regain at least some weight regain is more than likely to occur.

i have done a lot of research over the past 4-6 years. 

However, it's also possible to have "successful" weight loss with WLS, regain a bit and then maintain for the rest of your life. Research, research, research. Plus finding ways to understand why you reach for food when not hungry, ie why you got fat in the first place, all that stuff in ones head that had us eat too much to begin with does not go away with physical WLS surgery. 

I know I sound preachy which is what I've done here but it alarms me to keep seeing misleading information that potentially can lead one to not be prepared for the tough journey of weight loss through WLS. 

Edited by Arna
  • Like 1

I never felt full prior to my band being inserted, now I know when I've had enough to eat and still surprise myself at how little your body needs to function compared to what I used to eat.