Boganlicious

Plus size clothes

Are there any decent shops that sell plus size clothing that won't cost the earth? I'm a huge fan of a lot of the clothes both colours and styles that City Chic sell but they are just so expensive! I love a lot of the clothes at Ice Design but I can't fit into them. I've recently found out I'm a size 20 if that helps on where you recommend. Surgeon appointment tomorrow, gp appointment Wednesday. I'm ready to go through with this even though part of me is worried (as I would be of any surgery) and start working at achieving the new me. Fingers crossed I can access my super, my gp thinks there won't be a problem. 

• Like 1

Hi there,

my neice just showed me this website, the clothes are a bit young for me but some are nice in the plus range and not too pricey. 

https://www.missguidedau.com/

i generally buy very plain clothing from target, Kmart, Katie's, autograph, and jazz them up with nice scarves, good quality shoes and some nice plain jewellery. That way you could be wearing from any store and with nice accessories, my friends are none the wiser. 

Also check out ozsale, brands exclusive and asos. They often have plus sized stuff that is end of the line, again, if it's not something that was really seen as last season, you can get away with it easily and they are usually about $10 for postage. I hope that helps X 

• Like 2

Thanks Ada. I had a look and liked some of the clothing in my size. Unfortunately a new outfit for my daughter's bday party isn't in the budget until Friday and if I leave it that late it wouldn't get here in time. I will definitely keep that site in mind for any other upcoming events though. I don't have a lot of clothes because I dread shopping so when an event comes up I panic. 

Myer recently had a big sale (ie 30% off the already reduced price) on TS clothing - I love the colours!  You might want to give them a ring first to find out if they are still on sale...All the best!

• Like 2

Check out the City Chic shop at Watertown (Harbourtown) I've found some really nice things there and at really reduced prices.

• Like 3

That's a good point, I'd forgotten Watertown, I also picked up some awesome shoes there the other day and Jaqui e and sportscraft have some larger size 18/20 tops, cardi's, flowy dresses etc Blue illusion is now there too and some of their gear goes up to 3XL and can be super cheap on sale. Def go to Watertown! Let us know how you go x

• Like 3

Asos curve is my go to spot. I paid $39 for their 12month premier which means I can buy multiple sizes with express shipping and returns for free.

ive found the sizing is pretty accurate though if it's the asos curve brand, if not a little more generous.

my other go to option is something plain from Kmart, target or big w like a black dress, then dress it up with bold but cheap jewelry from lovisa or Colette and a bright lipstick. 

• Like 3

So many places seem to have constant sales lately. Myer is one of them, as is Autograph. Good deals too. City Chic is a case of right place right time I think. I just got a new gorgeous bra there...was $59.95 down to $15.

Every now and then Millers or Crossroads have something nice and feminine and they go to a size 20. Millers = cheap. Crossroads = good discount racks.

• Like 2

I think a trip to Watertown is in order. That's depending how the budget goes with the party otherwise I will just have to wear the outfit I wore to a wedding. It's nice but everyone's already seen it lol 

I'm seriously dreading being in the photos. 

• Like 2

Interestingly did you all realise Millers, Katies, Crossroads, Autograph and City Chic are owned by the same company?  Specialty Fashion Group is the parent company.

Just Jeans, Portmans, Jacqui E, Dotti and Jay Jays are also all the same company.

Sportsgirl, Suzanne Grae and Sussans are also all part of the same group.

• Like 2

...Crossroads, Autograph and City Chic are owned by the same company...

I guessed these ones were related because they have pretty much the same websites, just with different branding.  At least it makes it easier to navigate multiple sites when the format is familiar!

Agree with AB about the Crossroads discount racks - picked up several items recently for $7.50 with a second item half price!

• Like 3

Growing up in Melbourne my parents were in the rag trade, at Christmas my mum would take us to all the factories around them on their open day so to speak and I remember getting bathers that had miss shop/target/sports girl on them that were identical. I got three pairs for $10 each and they were retailing at Myer for $49.95. The only deal was they had to cut the labels off prior to selling them - I didn't care, I had 3 pairs of bathers in different colours over Christmas and felt like a Hollywood star turning up at the pool in different togs each day! 

Sadly they aren't manufactured in Australia anymore and most of those factories including my parents are now closed. So yep, the majority of stuff you can find have the same owners, manufacturers and often the exact same product just at a different price point. That's why I don't mind shopping for basic clothes in lower end stores and jazzing them up with good shoes, handbags, scarves, a quality top here and there and I always buy good bras for better shape and support. 

• Like 3

I don't know if there is one in Perth - but H&M have a plus size section with some cute stuff and it's really affordable + I think you can order online if your not near a store

• Like 2

I love all these recommendations! 

Hopefully I can start buying a piece here and there to build up my wardrobe especially since winter will be here before I know it. Depending on sizing I may even be able to go down a few sizes which means I will have more range to choose from. I've shopped at The Wardrobe and another boutique but forgotten the name and I was a 14/16 there because they were more generous than places like Best and Less. 

• Like 1

If you're into it there are a lot of facebook pages that sell/resell city chic clothing. I used to love the cut of city chic, it was always flattering on my shape (I'm bottom heavy) but struggled with how expensive it was. I've bought a lot and only had to return one item which was no problem and I had paypal protection if needed. I do this with forever new as well, its a good way to recycle clothing and get some money back as your sizes change as well

• Like 2

There is a FB closed group Taking Shape buy,swap,sell page. Could be worth a look.

I have just discovered it along with Camilla,Mimco,Metalicus,Alice McCall and Lorna Jane!!

DANGEROUS

• Like 1

Pretty sure there is a H&M up in Joondalup now, they def have good gear. I am a dork and buy a lot from Marks and Spencer (free postage over $50) and debenhams as they have a huge range. Maybe we should do a shopping trip to KL for the bandits! Ha ha ha I had to buy a second suitcase to come home last time I was there with all the shoes, clothes, bags that I bought! 

• Like 3

I don't know if there is one in Perth - but H&M have a plus size section with some cute stuff and it's really affordable + I think you can order online if your not near a store

There's definitely one in Joondalup and I think there was one planned for the city a well.  I shop on the website Birdsnest now and they also have a plus size section, some of their sale stock is heavily reduced!

• Like 1

Pretty sure there is a H&M up in Joondalup now, they def have good gear. I am a dork and buy a lot from Marks and Spencer (free postage over $50) and debenhams as they have a huge range. Maybe we should do a shopping trip to KL for the bandits! Ha ha ha I had to buy a second suitcase to come home last time I was there with all the shoes, clothes, bags that I bought! 

I love M & S! I couldn't believe that in London there is a whole floor devoted to pants! I was in there for hours and hours. Easily could've burned 1000's of bucks. Oh for a M & S in Perth.

• Like 1

Did you go to debenhams? Ohhh my even better than M&S! In KL I spent an entire morning in there, such good sales and very well fitting, tailored clothes for the price. I buy all my jumpers and nighties from M&S, but most of my t's and dresses are Debenhams. Trousers I have to try on so don't buy online, but if you know your cut seriously the free postage thing is awesome.