Band2Sleeve2019

Band2Sleeve

So i am looking at going from Band to Sleeve. After having my baby a few years back i feel it has never resettled as it once was. I dont want to feel vomity with it either. I'm  sure people have done this so looking at if you regret doing it? Time frame? Costs? Also i have heard that your bowel system can become upset is this true? 

Thanks in advance. 

I would recommend that you go talk to a surgeon who does both sleeves and bypass operations. This was my regret....my surgeon doesn't do bypasses and I just wanted it done.

I now have chronic constipation but I've now worked out how to keep regular so I've overcome that.

I am booked in to see Dr Mosses next month. Im definitely going to talk it all through. 

Kazbo do you regret going band to sleeve? Do most people who get sleeve have constipation issues.? I thought it was diarrhea like. 

Do the right things and you won't get constipated, like Metamucil daily.

I am booked in to see Dr Mosses next month. Im definitely going to talk it all through. 

Kazbo do you regret going band to sleeve? Do most people who get sleeve have constipation issues.? I thought it was diarrhea like. 

Some people develop sensitivities to certain foods, like dairy. Some people experience 'dumping' with the sleeve (I don't except with a small number of foods which I avoid). Dumping can cause diarrhoea.

For me, it's not a case of 'doing the right things' to avoid constipation - it's a gastrointestinal issue that I see a gastroenterologist for and need to monitor and keep on top of.

I don't regret going from band to sleeve, I regret not getting that third opinion...I had seen Dr Jorgensen in Sydney (he does sleeves, bypass ops and band revisions). I then saw my own surgeon here in Canberra (Siva) who doesn't do bypass ops because they don't in Canberra (they refer bypass patients to Dr Jorgensen). I was also booked in to see Dr Harrison in Wagga - he does loads of band sleeve/bypass but cancelled that appointment because Siva offered to remove my band for no gap then sleeve me for half price.

I would recommend that you get a couple of different opinions and recommendations before making a decision.

I would not have enjoyed the freedom that I have now and the weightloss (and weightloss maintenance) if I'd continued to put up with the torture of the band. From that perspective, having the sleeve was the best damned thing I have ever done for myself.

I have only just gone band to sleeve and I don't regret it for one second, not at all. I have found a little bit of dumping if I have too much dairy but mostly I seem to be ok, yet it is still early days for me...

Like you Kazbo I wanted to go the bypass, I have had lots of people say no it's too extreme blah, blah, blah but I think it is a good option. However, my surgeon doesn't do bypass because he thinks it is too extreme, and he did my band removal and sleeve at no excess, I only had to pay the anesthetist which is amazing. I figure if I feel it necessary down the track I can enquire about the bypass somewhere else and I am already half way there.

Regardless I don't regret getting the sleeve, I found the band to be a pain in the ass, I had problems eating and couldn't get the right spot despite a lot of adjustments and I was so restricted in food. At 29 I have a long time left to live so I want something that not only works, but still lets me enjoy food. And I was miserable with the band. I would recommend the sleeve over the band 100% I know some people love their band but if it isn't working for you, and you still feel you need weight loss surgery then a sleeve is  the way to go for sure. My only regret is that I didn't go the sleeve in the first place, and I let other peoples opinions sway me in that regard, which I wont do again.

Good luck with your decision :)

• Like 2

isn't the difference in life and eating so vast between the band and sleeve??!! I was amazed at just how restricted my food choices had become with the lap band...and feeling fear/anxiety leading up to meal times was insidious but great...I only really appreciated just how much the band had messed up my head WRT meal times until after it was gone and I was bracing myself for the chest pains, saliva and regurgitation.

I love that I can actually have breakfast without wondering if it is going to reappear or not...I love that my restaurant choices do not centre around whether they have a toilet handy and whether they make creamy/saucy meals, etc. etc. etc.

• Like 2