Deb95

Considering wls

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and have enjoyed reading your very informative posts. I am looking into getting a gastric sleeve. Does anyone have any information on surgeons on the Central Coast NSW and what the cost is if you don't have private health insurance. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also would you recommend getting private health insurance and waiting....feeling desperate 

I would highly recommend getting PHI and waiting it out as it can make a difference of up to and over $10,000. There are some surgeons who will not operate without PHI in case there is a need for extended hospital stays, which all cost more than the quote.

I don't know who is on the central coast who can help, but I have heard great things from the team at the O Clinic in Northern Sydney - they have also been very reasonably priced with fixed price options.

How exciting for you!!

• Like 2

Hi Deb. I also recommend getting PHI. For me it was more about having backup afterwards (I could maybe afford the procedure, but if something went wrong, no way could I afford to go back to a private hospital to get it fixed), and the fact that my surgeon has a long waiting list anyway, and the process took ages. The second six months went more quickly than the first - the wait wasn't so bad.

I think my surgeon estimated costs of around $20k without PHI. I know some surgeons won't even operate on patients who aren't insured.

• Like 1

Hi im not sure where central coast is but i flew tas to sydney to Dr Kuzinkovas. He is wonderful i think all up including anesthetist it cost around $6000which is all inclusive of any gollow ups over the next 12 months. I only had to pay excess private health  of $70 per day x 3 days. 

He is located in Kogarah Advancd Surgicare if that helps.

Good luck with it all

Cheers Karen

• Like 1

I haven't had my surgery done yet but I am booked with the O clinic to get my sleeve done next month. all up with private health it's $5950 not including my hospital excess (about $500 ) and without private I think it would of been $21,000 however they did provide me with a letter if I wanted to get my superannuation released early to pay for it and the clinic is located in Crows Nest (very easy to get to via public transport)  behind the Mater.

I chose them because they included accesss to a dietician and a psychologist (Dr Sonia was/ is amazing) in the cost and constant professional interactions with everyone I have spoken with from the clinic thus far.

I don't have any recommendations but I'd ask your local "coastie" GP if they have anyone they have had a good experience with