Sign in to follow this  
Specialized29er

CPR and Defibrillators

This morning at work I'm doing my yearly CPR First Aid training and its got me thinking has anyone had CPR done on them and how did you Band Port handle the strain.

Latter while going over the correct use of the Defibrillator we spoke about the effects the Defibrillator can have on the metal implantable devices but I'm thinking the shock and charge wouldn't have any harmful effect on the port since the pads are laid at the top right and the lower left.

Does anyone have their port located as per the lower pad, its something I've never thought about and if so we were told the lower pad needs to be repositioned at least 8cms from the port location.

Defibrillation Electrode Position.jpg

I had never considered this re my gastric sleeve (three rows of stapes), and incisional hernia repair (10cm patch Goretex tacked on to the abdo muscles with titanium tacks!)!

Just hope that I never need a defibrillator...

• Like 1

Lower pad looks about the same position as my port site.  Good thing there is no history of heart disease in my family. Hmmm, wonder why there is no mention of this at any stage?

• Like 1

I'm hoping with having lost half my body weight that I've significantly reduced my risk of ever needing defibrillation.

• Like 5

I've had CPR but not since having my band put in.

I did have a Tonic Clonic seizure about 10 weeks ago, the first since my band was put in. It did affect my band by making it very tight. I had planned an adjustment two weeks after it (booked before seizure) but have not had an adjustment since as it is still tight. I have had more fill in my band than this and yet not felt it this tight. I had expected it to settle but it has not.

My health is better too Trish and I had hoped not to need it, however with my Epilepsy I have had my husband perform CPR on me post seizure before and it saved my life.

• Like 2

I can absolutely guarantee you that should you need defibrillation, your port or band is the least of your worries.

• Like 5

Who cares?

No one is going to say... "wait, lets not save her life with CPR / Defib, it might hurt her band/ port", or, "I don't know where her port is to be able to place the pad 8cm away from it!  we cant use the defib! She'll have to die!"

Regardless, the second pad is placed just below the nipple to the left on the ribcage. Your port is not located on your ribcage. However, they will do whatever is required to save your life - if that means destroying your port, so be it (it doesn't, but for example). A melted port / burns is better than being dead.

Defibrilation can (not always) affect implants that have certain types of magnetic and electrical fields, like pace makers and implantable cardioverter- defibrillators etc etc, and occasionally, implants that are closer to the skin, like staples to close a wound on the skin - they get minor burns, sometimes (not always). It DOESNT affect stomach staples. Even if it did, a minor burn on your stomach isn't going to kill you - your heart stopping and not getting defib will.

As above, if you're having defibrillation, minor burns are the least of your problems.

Sleevers and bandits can also have MRI's etc, with no issue (though they like to be told the staples / band are there). A TASER wont even hurt us.

The port isn't metal so shouldn't be a problem? In fact I don't think any part of a lap band is metal?