kg_precious

What were you eating 7 weeks in?

So I'm i have now been sleeved 7 weeks and despite the leak and pneumonia I'm feeling pretty good.  I am starting to try new foods and can be successful or not depening on the day.  I'd really like to see what others were consuming as i feel like I'm really struggling some days. I have heard you need to keep trying more solid foods to get the stomach working hard again as the soft food doesn't require much work and that's why it's easier to digest. I still get the thick phlegm coming up and that's sometimes just after a couple of spoonfuls of food.

Food will be trial and error.  Reintroduce food slowly.  If eg a steak doesn't go, leave it for a few weeks then try again.  Vary between soft and solid until you can tolerate food better.

Im only 8 days pre op, and have NO intention of trying solid foods yet, but, Im eating absolutely everything in puree form (very small amounts, obviously), including steak with zero issues (touch wood). 

What do you mean you  'still get the thick phlegm'..? I haven't experienced that at all... is this something I should expect?

Did you go straight from soft food to trying steak? It might have to do with how you're cooking the food - grilled or BBQ steak, for example, is harder to digest for NORMAL people, let alone sleevers. Maybe try a slow cooker, or braised steak?  It will be less of a transition.

I used to have a band and there's no way I would have tried regular steak straight out at 7 weeks, let alone with a sleeve, unless it was like pulled pork, all shredded.

For breakfast, usually weetbix energize with skim milk or half a muffin with a scrambled egg and ham, or sultana bran with skim milk or this ancient grain fruit bread that I get from an organic store (don't particularly care about organic stuff, just freaking love this bread). With coffee, of course.

Lunch is sometimes a wrap or sandwich with lean meat (chicken, ham, tinned salmon/tuna, rare roast beef). Mostly if I'm working I take a salad.

Dinner is whatever we're having - last night we had steak, egg and chips (my husband's favourite meal of all time). Lean steak, 70g, with a fried egg (no oil) and homemade oven chips made with minimal oil. Night before last it was salmon steaks with salad. Yum.

I like to have snacks during the day (even though some dietitians advise against it), I find if I don't I absolutely tank at the gym and have no energy to do anything. Favourite snacks are those small packets of air popped popcorn, yoghurt, small packs of nuts (25g), vitaweats with promite and low fat cheese or a boiled egg. Mostly I have afternoon tea but if I'm at work I like to have something at morning tea as well, otherwise I get too hungry. I used to have dessert religiously pre-op but now I usually don't want it. Amazing, lol.

You really should be eating solid food at every meal. Relying on fluid or soft foods isn't ideal because they don't satisfy as well as solids. Also, I've read that most issues with intolerance are to do with your eating style - slow down, eat mindfully and CHEW!

Hi Froody,

Is this what you were eating 7 weeks post op? I don't think there is any chance I could fit that in right now.  I may need to have the balloon put into my tummy as i think i have very limited space, more so than the most sleeves,  however I'm seeing my doc tomorrow and hopefully he'll be able to advise if given my complications I'm eating enough. 

Hi, yep, pretty much. Probably not as much meat, say 50g per serve. Now at almost 3 months out I can eat about 60-70g. My sandwiches are 1 slice of bread, not 2. Most of the time I leave something on my plate, or give it to my husband.

Given your complications it's not surprising you have problems with intake. Hope your appointment goes well tomorrow and you don't have to have any more procedures!

Hi Froody,

Is this what you were eating 7 weeks post op? I don't think there is any chance I could fit that in right now.  I may need to have the balloon put into my tummy as i think i have very limited space, more so than the most sleeves,  however I'm seeing my doc tomorrow and hopefully he'll be able to advise if given my complications I'm eating enough. 

I'm 12 weeks out and I couldn't eat this much, either (which isn't necessarily a good thing, as it also means I have trouble getting anywhere near a decent amount of protein in).