Sign in to follow this  
MelbourneGirl72012

Has anyone considered or gotten resleeved?

Hi

Im 15months post sleeve op and I've lost about 53kgs. I have not lost weight since about aug last year and only been maintaining even put back on a couple of kgs....i had a standard size bougie for my surgery but i had wanted to have a smaller size to help me lose more but my surgeon was not open to this and i did not push for it which i am regretting now although not sure if would of made things allot riskier....? I desperately want to lose another 15 to 25kgs and considering getting re sleeved....i asked my surgeon at last appointment and he said can get resleeved but usually not as affective as first time. ..he said there is no need for me to get it again. ...but i really feel i want it as i found i lost 53kg less than 9 months and it was so affective. ...i really wish i had pushed for a smaller bougie size but have to deal with what I've got now and moving forward. ...anyone with similar thoughts or I m experience or resleeved would appreciate to hear from you! 

Resleeve is more to do with regaining weight, not stalling.

How tall are you and what is your current weight?

At my 2 year post op review, I asked if he could order scopes to see if stretched but he said no, that unless I've gained weight, he wouldn't do anything.

Thanks for responding nesa

Im 5 foot 8 /172 cms. Started at 157kg got down to 103kgs now put on 1 to 2 kgs so sitting at about 105kgs.

Want to weigh no less than 80kgs so that's another about 25kgs. Or even would be glad to get to 90kgs and see how i go.  So another 15 to 25 to lose. .I'm not getting anywhere though i know I'm not doing as well since aug sept last year.  80kgs was my original weight before i put on all my weight which happened when i was 17

Yes, bougie size is directly related to sleeve complications, especially leaks, but also serious reflux / GERD etc.  

As mentioned above, resleeving is usually for weight maintenance, after years when the stomach as stretched back out a little. I'd be surprised if you would find a surgeon who would resleeve you so soon.

Its totally up to you, but personally its not something Id risk this soon - only after Id had the appropriate scopes and tests to see if it was an issue directly related to my stomach size, or speaking to a dietician to se if it was more diet / exercise related. If you have a smaller pounch, that doesn't necessarily mean more weight loss if you're eating around it.

Im not saying that's what youre doing, but theres plenty of things that need to be addressed before anyone should considered another major operation that comes with a higher complication rate, including your family (I lost my mother to WLS complications).

Make sure it really is the very last option. Everyone here is doing so great, and when we have WLS after a week its like we could do it ten times without an issue... truth is, its not a walk in the park. There are serious risks.

• Like 1

Im banded, not sleeved but i can comment in terms of what its like years after bariatric surgery. Put simple, its no miracle. You say you lost weight really fast and effortlessly, fabulous! But sorry to say, in all liklihood, youve had your free run. Your body wont do that again even if you are resleeved. This next 25 is goung to be hard work. I lost weight very well despite being a low bmi patient and was down fro 110 to 79 in two years (im 5 ft 10). To get to 72 (was shooting for 70) took me two whole years. Ineed way more fluid to maintain there than i ever did to lose but ive stayed here (apart from dropping to 60 during cancer treatment) for six years. But its bloody hard work. The body is smart, i eat SO much less than other people I should be skeletal, the caliries in/out equation says so. I run regularly, and go to the gym. However, some signs of malnutrition set in from time to time, i have trouble with iron but am religious with a multi. I dont get hungry but my body still knows its being deprived and inhave developed real problems with binging on sugary foods. Ive gotten on top of tgat by removing fluid so that i can eat better and the craving/binging has abated but its a huge effort not to gain. Its all a fine balancing act and even still my surgeon tells me my success is remarkable as most peopke remain at a bmi over 25 after surgery.

In short, youve had mammoth success so far but your body has wised up and the next bit is really up to you, theres a limit of what weight loss surgery can achieve as our bodies are too smart! You can do it but it will take a restricted but careful diet and some very intense exercise. And if you fail to get the balance right or push it with too much fill or too small a sleeve as i have at times you end up depressed, overtrained, chronically fatigues and binging to get in the calories as well as problems like reflux that will seriously erode yoyr health at times. Not to mention ive flirted with seriously anorexic behaviour to maintain an unnaturally low weight (i looked like a model at 60kg and 5ft 10!) Please please pat yourself on the back for what youve achieved and tread carefully from here!

Edited by jachut
  • Like 5

Ha ha Jachut you sound exactly like me. Banded 2009 and first 15 months went so easy. The hard part was after but its nice to see that in the scheme of things we are quire normal. Sorry MelbourneGirl2012 to get completely off topic

Ha ha Jachut you sound exactly like me. Banded 2009 and first 15 months went so easy. The hard part was after but its nice to see that in the scheme of things we are quire normal. Sorry MelbourneGirl2012 to get completely off topic

sorry to get off subject as well but this whole discussion all makes me wonder where I went wrong with my band, the first year (its three years now)I lost 12.5 before banding then 17 after, regained 12 over this last year and have again lost two. Wondering what happened to my honeymoon period. Id be so happy to have got 53 kilos easy loss out of my band. That said I now wonder also if the band is going to get me down another 50 kilo, Id be happy to be 99 kilo. I also wonder if going to a sleeve from a band is a solution as well as its probably not going to make it much different, I get quite frustrated with the whole thing but I keep on trying as there is no other choice really and at least I'm 20 kilo lighter than my heaviest

• Like 1

I'm 10 months post-sleeve and I have stopped losing weight, which is fine, because I am in the healthy weight range now.

But I can eat soooooo much more now. I can eat pretty much a full meal. I excercise a lot and realise for me, that is the key to maintaining, but I live in fear of regaining.

Happy days & stay positive! you have achieved great things! melbournegirl, 53kg down is massive, regardless of whatever your starting weight was. congratulations on such a big success :) i know it's frustrating having plateaud out but i'm sure you are looking pretty fantastic! the scales can mess with our heads so much. i keep telling myself that a loss is a loss and as long it is going to improve my quality of life then it was all worth it! clavicles and cheekbones are an added bonus!