Sign in to follow this  
Time2Change

Possible Port Leak

Hi All,

I haven't been in this forum for a very long time. But I know this is the place to come to for support and advice.

I was banded in Nov 2010. I started at over 190kg and got down to 133kg (at my lowest), anyway in 2011 and 2012 I had to have a few different unrelated procedures which meant fill needed to come out a few times; it was around then things seemed to plateau. My weight slowly crept up to nearly 150kg again. I had a baby and the day I left hospital was 143kg. Anyway for quite some time every time I've had a fill I have had restriction for a couple of days but then that's all really.

I saw my surgeon's GP last week and I told him this. He said he's put some more in and took all the fill out (he doesn't usually do it this way - he tops it up). It hurt. He showed me the syringe and it was a yellow colour; he said it was not right. He put in the same amount of new stuff. It hurt going back in. Anyway - he thinks I may have a leak.

I'm scared - I secretively know there's a problem. I have no restriction now. I know I'll need surgery. I'm back at work full time. I have a 10 month old with a husband who does pretty much nothing baby related. My next appointment isn't until April. I know I need to call next week and face this.

I'd been thinking of having the band removed to have the sleeve so maybe this is meant to be? Arrgghh!

Have you had a leak?

What were your symptoms?

How long can someone have a leak without it being treated?

Ive never had a leak but from what I understand is you may need a replacement of the tube that goes from the port to the band.  Seems like its day surgery.  You will have no restriction while you have no fluid in.  What a shame but it would explain why you have put on weight if you have no restriction.

Ive had 2 leaks since banding in 2009. First leak everything was replaced. The surgery was so much faster the second time around. Second leak i had just the port and tubing replaced and was nice and fast too. If you have a leak then it happens. Have the replacement surgery and get back on track. My first leak we have no idea why and my second leak was we think from some minor surgery for other stuff. It happens with a band as its not completely fool proof but you can do this. Get your positive mind set that you had with the original surgery and continue on your journey, you can :-D any questions ask away ;-)

• Like 2

Saw Dr again today. Definite leak. Seeing the Surgeon in April. Booked to have band out in May with the Sleeve booked in for August. All dates are tentative but it will all happen around these dates.