TraceyLee

March 2016 Gastric Sleeve

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and hoping to find friendship and support with others who are on and been through the same journey. I'm currently on the Optifast regime and I'm scheduled to have my gastric sleeve on 23/03/2016 (10 days) in Newcastle NSW Australia.

I guess from reading, I'm going through all the same feelings and emotions that everyone else has been through, SCARED about not knowing how I will feel immediately after the operation and how I will cope in the weeks and months to come, BUT I'm also EXCITED about the possibility of a new healthy me. I've been obese for so long and tried so many diets and always regained my weight back again, each time that little more depressed and disappointed with myself - a spiralling vicious cycle. I just can't imagine what it will feel like to be a normal weight and the possibility of actually loosing weight this time and being able to maintain the weight loss sounds like a miracle.

If anyone has any tips or encouragement to help with the next 10 days before surgery I would love to hear from you  

Hi Tracey Lee,

I am feeling and thinking the same as you at the moment.  As the date draws nearer the emotions are certainly mixed.  Excited for a new healthy me, but certainly nervous about it all (this wouldn't be normal if we weren't)!

Like yourself I am also on the Optifast regime, my Gastric Sleeve op is scheduled for the 24th  March in Brisbane. These first few days have been hard, but I have been busying myself with exercise and gardening! lol.

I have managed to find some recipes for soups and vegetable kebabs to get me through and  make the food more interesting. I do enjoy reading posts on here and take on board the tips from others!

All the best :)

Hi Trish71,

The emotions are a real roller coaster and I'm usually very level headed. My husband has been a great support, I'm not letting my friends and family know about it yet as I don't want to feel like they are judging me.

We are a day apart with our operations, it feels comforting having someone going through this at the same time.

All the best to you Trish71 

Hi March 2016 Sleevers!

Welcome!

You may find gastricsleevesupport.com very useful - basically all Australians.  There is a section called "Sleevers Monthly" where someone starts up a post for their month if no one else has, and then other folk in that month can all join in.  (I haven't explained it well, but you get my drift - my cognitive dysfunction).

I am a February 2015, same username - "denzel".

All the best!

:)

Hi Denzel,

I registered with gastricsleevesupport.com 3 - 4 days ago and they still haven't accepted my request, I'm hoping it doesn't take too much longer ^_^

• Like 1

Hi there. mrs kaje Tim Wright is my surgeon, who did you have?

Tim did my sleeve, too. He was great and everything went really well. Good luck with your op :)

• Like 1

That's good to hear mrs kaje, what hospital did you go to? how long were you in hospital? how was your recovery? hahaha so many questions, can you give me a bit of a run down on your experience from Day 1 surgery :huh:

That's good to hear mrs kaje, what hospital did you go to? how long were you in hospital? how was your recovery? hahaha so many questions, can you give me a bit of a run down on your experience from Day 1 surgery :huh:

I was in Newy Private for two nights. Slept a lot the first day due to the medication, but I stopped using the button during the first night. Was up to the bathroom on the first day. Second day was just like hanging out in bed; only had discomfort when I tried to sit up. Had a shower on the third day, I think. The rest of that day was boring, just sitting there waiting to go. Was up and about really well that day. They didn't let me leave until I was able to drink a reasonable amount of fluid within a certain period (I kept track of intake on the second day, then the morning after they said "You had a decent amount yesterday, if you can finish this cup by lunchtime, you can go home today" so it wasn't super strict or anything). No pain other than when trying to get up from lying down or sitting. Pretty much completely back to normal after 10 days. I went on holidays 18 days after the op and besides being in the puree phase, it was as though I hadn't had an operation at all. 

(Note: If you do the online admission, you still need to take the paper copy to the hospital as Tim uses it to make notes for himself).

• Like 1

Wow, you sure did well, I'm hoping for the same outcome as you mrs kaje. Thanks for the tips :D I still get nervous about the operation until I go and look in the mirror at all of my wobbly bits and then I can't wait for it to all be over and done with. Do you know if Tim does any tests to check for leaks while you're under anaesthetic or the did you have one at any stage while in hospital? 

Good luck with your journey. We are all friends here. It will be the best decision you've ever made.

• Like 2

Do you know if Tim does any tests to check for leaks while you're under anaesthetic or the did you have one at any stage while in hospital? 

Not that I know of. I didn't have any tests afterwards whilst awake, anyway.