BP13

Weight limit for hospital

Hi everyone,

New here, I've had my first appointment with Dr Dolan and am going to be banded. I weighed in at a ridiculous 209kg and 185cm tall. 

He gave me the forms to fill out and sign, which I did. I then was told by the receptionist that Hollywood Hospital has a weight limit of 190kg and that it's not a big problem because I can lose weight on the optifast diet.

The dietician set me up for 4 shakes/bars a day and a small serve of protein for dinner. She said give it 3 weeks and aim for 3kg loss a week and when I come back we can book the operation. 

Well I'm on day 17, it was a struggle the first 3 days but I'm ok now. Though getting bored of it, I haven't cheated bar the 2nd day I had a tin of tuna instead of a shake. I've only lost 5kgs! The lowest I've had the scales was 203kg one morning, but it seems to stay between 204-205kg ATM. 

Im really stressing that I'll see the dietician on Wednesday and they'll tell me I can't book the surgery. I can't believe I've hardly eaten for 3 weeks on this crap and lost hardly anything!

Has anyone else had such a high start weight and gone through this or similar? 

Totally feel for you BP13.  Have you tried upping your activity?  I hit a stall and found that doing a lot of walking seemed to get things moving again.  I've been doing 45 mins in the morning before work and then every time I go to the loo at work I do a lap of the building (sounds crazy I know, but it's become a habit now and the steps do add up).  

Best of luck :)

• Like 1

Hi Nickimat, I will try doing exactly that. So frustrating when just eating better and exercising I've lost 5kg plus a week before, once even got back down to 130kg about 5 years ago. Now on this optislim struggling to lose 5kg in 3 weeks! 

Just want to get this operation so I can stop the yo yo'ing

Sorry to hear of your struggles.

I am guessing that you (hopefully!) might suddenly have a massive weight loss...

How much fluids e.g. water, herbal tea, diet soft drink/cordial  ie anything with no added sugar are you drinking/day?  Maybe you just aren't hydrated enough?

Look, I am sorry, I WASN'T in your position, but I do really feel for you.

All the best, and please keep us updated.

• Like 1

Hi Denzel,

I'm having 2-3 teas a day and at least 8 glasses of water. Drinking so much im waking up a couple times a night to go to the toilet. I'm hoping the same that'll I'll drop a few my kg by Wednesday. 

I just took the dog for a walk so hopefully that'll help aswell.

Thanks for the support 

• Like 1

Hi BP13, sorry to hear that you are having a hard time of it!  May I suggest that for some people on Optifast additional source of fibre is required to avoid retention and that if this is indeed the case once you rectify the problem the weight may slip down a bit.  If you are still concerned why not pop a quick call to the dietitian to see if there is something slipping through the cracks.  Wishing you loads of luck on your journey. 

Hey first of all, well done to you for taking control of your weight and not letting it control you any more.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things, try some more walking and maybe a bit of fibre.  Is it that time of the month?  My weight goes up no matter what I do at this time!

Even if they won't book the surgery now, you are on your way to getting there so don't be disheartened this is just a speed bump.  You're still headed in the right direction and should be so proud of yourself.

• Like 2