after pulling my hair out over low calorie lifestyle and getting nowhere I decided to give reduction of carbs a go especially as at the moment I'm on steroids and last time I took them I gained a significant amount of weight. so I'm eating about the same calories, actually sometimes more yet more protein, trying to cut the sugar and carbs, amazingly I feel pretty good, have had no stuck moments with my band and the scale is moving down. I was always told cut calories not carbs and go low fat. the only low fat stuff I have now is natural yogurt and hi low milk (discovered skim milk has more sugar) Ive also returned to butter and I'm eating nuts although not too many.  I think i can deal with this lifestyle better than the other option and so far no cravings for carb food, i do have the occasional carb like pasta but thats maybe once a week. Interested on peoples thoughts on this

• Like 2

I think everything in moderation.

My (adult) children made the choice for us all to ditch "low fat" and return to full fat dairy products and butter, and we can really notice the difference in taste and no one has increased their weight as a result. 

Good luck with your new eating habits.

• Like 2

It doesn't make a lot of difference for me. I can drop weight quickly short term but it never lasts and I get a lot of digestive issues from the richer food - I've had rectal cancer but I also get a lot of reflux on a low carb diet. 

A word of warning. I dropped the low fat stuff too over previous years.  A year later, my previously healthy cholesterol levels have tipped over the upper limits.  Its not a free for all, fat is fat is fat.  You still have to keep fat levels down for other health reasons besides weight loss.  So if you prefer full fat yogurt (as I do, by far) you cant eat much of it, or often. 

For me, longer term a higher carb diet makes me feel the best.  My natural inclination if I didn't have a family of teenage boys would be to be vegetarian/vegan, its just what I like. So I do like my wholegrains, legumes and lots of fruit and veg.  But each to their own, we're all different and respond differently for different diets.

• Like 1

@jachut

Can I ask.... do you know what blood type you are?

I have never been able to stick to a diet but last year I thought I'd get a head start during my PHI waiting period, and I lost 25kg in six months. I was only able to do this because I went high protein, low carb, and controlled calories (I didn't care about fat content). I didn't feel hungry or deprived, or crave carby stuff, like I used to when I only monitored calories and fat. So, as much as I hate to jump on health bandwagons, low carb definitely works for me.

• Like 3

I would not say I'm going super low carb, just eating a lot less of them and upping my protein. as for high fat, not really, still keeping the calories lowish, but have noticed more satisfied with higher protein meals and cravings have gone for sugar which I have cut drastically

• Like 2

Definitely - when I add up or calorie count and look at my macros - it would be rare that I'd eat over 100g of carbs in a day (in a normal day's eating, not the shockers I sometimes have)- and that's without restricting carb foods - that's technically low carb - "normal" people can eat 200 - 300 grams in a day quite easily.  

I also wouldnt eat a huge stodgy carby meal either - whenever we have spag bol I would always have zucchini noodles instead for example.  And I do really enjoy the couple of Paleo cookbooks I have although I'd never call myself a paleo advocate.  

The bandwagon I've jumped on is the HIIT and strength training - I'm not a gym bunny and have always loved running - long, slow cardio, the kind that's getting bashed at the moment. But lately I've really noticed that if I do 15 minutes of sprints on my treadmill (like ALL OUT balls to the wall sprints) and 10 minutes of tough push ups and squats (tough at my level, which is 45 degrees on the kitchen bench lol,) it absolutely turns off my appetite for the day. The beauty of this is I think its the intensity - and if you're really unfit, you can achieve that my heart is going to explode and I'm going to puke intensity in 5 minutes just doing some squats.