Sign in to follow this  
Peachi43

The good, the bad & the ugly

Hi 

I'm new here so I'll give a quick rundown of my situation; Chase, 26, female, 120kg, always been a bigger girl but since early 2014 I had a traumatic event that left me with anxiety, depression and my weight has spiralled out of control since. All attempts to lose weight since have failed or left me heavier. I have been through a number of antidepressants but most of them make me really sweaty and also gain weight, this was humiliating and I gave up on AD's over 1 month ago because I can't handle putting on any more weight. 

I'm looking to have sleeve surgery, I live in Sydney. I do not have health insurance that will cover the surgery. I would like to hear some real feed back about good or bad surgeon's, are there places that are more/less expensive (most places have the cost if you do have insurance) and there places with long wait lists or quick service. And any other information you guys have for me. 

Chase 

Welcome Chase,

I was sleeved 11 weeks ago tomorrow by Dr John Jorgensen at St George Private, Kogarah.  I would highly recommend him to anyone!  His fee was $5000 plus $1650 for anesthetist - got back $937 from Medicare. Also had 2 consults before surgery totaling $300 ($110 back from Medicare) so all up cost was about $5900.  His fee includes all visits following surgery.  You also get 5 consults with the dietitian which are bulk billed so no cost.  I upgraded my PHI cover and waited the 12 months so didn't have to pay for the hospital but have heard from others that it's around $14,000.

So far, I'm thrilled with the change it has made to my life - I'm down 16kg since surgery and over 26kg from my heaviest last July.  My first consult was in July 2015 and I was scheduled for surgery on 14 October 2015 -  don't think the wait is usually that long but my PHI waiting period didn't end til 9 October.  I had to postpone surgery when my husband became ill - waited about 5 weeks from second consult til surgery date.

Hope this info helps.  Good Luck!

Chell   :)

Welcome Chase,

I was sleeved 11 weeks ago tomorrow by Dr John Jorgensen at St George Private, Kogarah.  I would highly recommend him to anyone!  His fee was $5000 plus $1650 for anesthetist - got back $937 from Medicare. Also had 2 consults before surgery totaling $300 ($110 back from Medicare) so all up cost was about $5900.  His fee includes all visits following surgery.  You also get 5 consults with the dietitian which are bulk billed so no cost.  I upgraded my PHI cover and waited the 12 months so didn't have to pay for the hospital but have heard from others that it's around $14,000.

So far, I'm thrilled with the change it has made to my life - I'm down 16kg since surgery and over 26kg from my heaviest last July.  My first consult was in July 2015 and I was scheduled for surgery on 14 October 2015 -  don't think the wait is usually that long but my PHI waiting period didn't end til 9 October.  I had to postpone surgery when my husband became ill - waited about 5 weeks from second consult til surgery date.

Hope this info helps.  Good Luck!

Chell   :)

jorgensen trains other surgeons to do WLS. he is highly skilled and experienced. 

Dr Talbot s ananother fantastic Sydney surgeon and is apparently lovely to boot.

• Like 1

I am 27 had the sleeve done mid feb. I self funded, was around 21k. I went with Dr Craig Taylor from the O'clinic. 

Started around 100kg, I have lost about 15kg. It really is just a tool. I can eat anything, but in smaller portions. I can graze all day, and can easily eat over 2000 if I don't monitor myself. 

I would really recommend seeing a psychologist to deal with the trauma and beliefs about eating. 

Its not a miracle, if you have messed up eating patterns before the op, you will have to messed up patterns afterwards. You have to do the work, and if your eating is related to trauma, unfortunately you need to deal with that. 

I should mention I am a provisional psychologist, so I pretty much recommend everyone see a psych!

• Like 1

I can also recommend highly giving Sam-e a try for depression.  I have had my issues with it over the past five years, not for ages now touch wood, I think for me, its a menopausal thing and also post cancer.  I was put on prozac and put on 10kg in 3 months - holy mother of god, I was freaking OUT.  I quit it cold turkey which I would NOT recommend, it took me five months to detox from the stuff - brain zaps and random cramping and headaches and the lot.

However I find Sam-e remarkably effective.  It is very energising and you may not like it if you're feeling anxiety symptoms but it won't hurt you to try it and you don't need to taper on and off.  I have put myself on it for short periods of time and within days I feel remarkably better, but I can't just stop it with no ill effects.