Sign in to follow this  
The hallway

optiyuk

So I’m on the first day for optifast, omg it’s really unpleasant!!! ewwwww
any alternatives?

they're all pretty much the same. Fatblaster, Optislim, Optifast. You just need to find a flavour of shake you can tolerate. Just remember it needs to be the VLCD ones not LCD. 

Make sure your water is really cold, and if you have a nutribullet or something, use that to remove graininess.

Remember its a short time out of your life for major benefits so you don't need to enjoy it, just stomach it ;)

Personally I thought the soup tasted like evil incarnate so after 1 sip I just stuck to 3 shakes and 2 bowls of veg a day. It's over before you know it. 

• Like 2

I found the optislim to be really sickly sweet, bought a couple once and still have the other one left over -probably got weevils in it by now;)

Edited by Ozchick
  • Like 1

if the shakes aren't your thing, try the puddings, bars and soups (I found the soups beyond disgusting, some people like them).

You may find that the 'original recipe' choc and vanilla shakes nicer than the 'new recipe' ones. The 'original recipe' shakes are in the big packs, not the multipacks.

You can also add essences to the shakes - mint essence to the choc makes it slightly nicer. Some people blend the shakes with ice to make more of a frappe.

If you are unable to tolerate them at all, talk to your clinic as they may offer an alternative VLCD to follow - I had to follow the alternative because I am lactose intolerant.

Thanks for your reply. Does this sound standard to you guys? I’m 88.9kg 1.65cm and the dietician said three shakes a day and only green veggies. I’ve been reading on this forum, individuals heavier and shorter than me and didn’t need the optifast shakes.

Generally the surgeon will put you on optifast dependant on your blood test results and where your fat is located. I would follow his/her advice as they are looking at your whole medical well being and other people on here will have different needs to you. 

Thanks ada. Yep what you wrote sounds right..... im looking for any excuse to stop the shakes lol

So I purchased a box of optislim and frankly I would prefer optifast. Does any want a free box of vanilla optislim?

the VLCD phase is to reduce the fatty deposits on your liver to ensure the surgery is safer and easier. Definitely follow surgeon's guidelines.

This comment is not to anyone in particular and is simply a personal view I would express to anyone heading down the path of WLS: If you can't commit, and stick to, 2 weeks of a VLCD diet, don't do the surgery. Speak to a psychologist - try to get your head right before your body. WLS isn't the be all end all and will require life long commitment to changing diet and exercise. I believe the 2 weeks of VLCD is the best sign of how ready and committed an individual really is. Also quite simply, why put yourself in danger of a more complicated surgery? Value your life more than food. Reach out to friends, family, professionals, people online, anyone you need to help you on your journey. You aren't alone and you CAN do it.

• Like 7

every clinic has their own rules. there are a small number that don't ask for their patients to follow a VLCD but most do because it makes it safer for us and easier for them.

If your liver is large and fatty, it makes it difficult and dangerous for the surgeon. They have to lift it out of the way to get to the stomach. Having an enlarged, fatty liver means that it is like trying to eat jelly with chopsticks. It increases the risk of an accidental cut to the liver (you definitely don't want that) or the operation being aborted altogether - you really don't want that! I know of quite a few people who decided that they 'knew best' and didn't follow the VLCD either properly or at all and woke up with no WLS being performed. And there are no refunds.

I know a couple of other people who ended up having an 8-10 hour operating (instead of 45 mins) because their liver made it so unnecessarily difficult.

Optishit sucks, it's hard but it's better than the alternative...and it's only 2 weeks or so out of your life.

Yes, the VLCD is 3 optifasts (shakes, bars, soups or desserts) plus 2 cups of non-starchy vegetables - no potato, sweet potato, peas, corn, etc.

• Like 3

The flavours are disgusting - the best thing I found was to have it very very cold (use ice), and blend fruit in with the vanilla - stick with berries as they're low carb fruits and add virtually no calories.  You *might* also be able to use PB2 as its pretty much no fat or carb and all protein and adds a great peanut butter taste - I have optifast vanilla even now sometimes (11 years on) for breakie with a banana and PB2 blended in because I know there's plenty of protein and nutrients in it and its a better option than cereal or toast.

Oh, I also flavoured the vanilla with a strong cup of black coffee - I love coffee so that was yum!  Coco powder is extremely low in calories/carbs/fat too and is full of antioxidants.

Edited by jachut

I am just starting the pre op phase now, and am using Optislip. I tried a couple of Optifast 2 weeks ago, but had a bad reaction, as I have a mild lactose intolerance. I like adding a drop of peppermint essence, or orange essence into the choc ones, to make choc mint or jaffa shakes. 

The chocolate is nice, maybe I'm weird! Freeze some strawberries, add a couple of frozen strawberries to a nutribullet with the powder and water.

I actually don't mind optifast, I like the banana, chocolate, coffee and strawberry flavours. 

I use 250mls of water instead of 200mls and always add at least 3 ice cubes and put it in the nutribullet.  Tastes soooo much better.

Adding a sprinkle of cinammon to the banana one is fantastic, and I would pop 2 or 3 frozen berries into the strawberry one to make it more palatable.

The optifast website is really useful. I agree, cold water + blender or vigorous shaker makes it completely different!

I'm a big fan of the bars personally.