Sign in to follow this  
Natasha7000

Condemned for a piece of fruit

Yesterday I got a fill, I had been at 4ml for 4 months because I went overseas, I got a fill up to 7ml. Its a huge jump but I had 9ml before. Swedish band.

Since yesterday I haven't felt much difference. I stayed on fluids all night and then just now I ate a mandarin because the hunger was strong. I know i am supposed to be on fluids but I was feeling nothing! My Dr said to make an appointment with her next week if that was the case. So I called up the office.

I said to reception that I would like to make another appointment because I wasn't feeling restriction. I told her I had been on fluids and eaten 1 mandarin a moment ago. Her reply was "I don't know why YOU PEOPLE do this".

I said excuse me? She busted her nut at me for eating 1 mandarin! She ASSUMED to know what my doctor has recommended! I was so angry I hung up on her.

I called again after I had calmed down a bit and she was being the biggest B! She was treating me like I had gone and eaten a big mac after a fill! I told her she had no right to say that to me and that the Dr had said to make another appointment. She replied saying "I dont want to go round a round in circles with you, do you want an appointment or not". To which I replied YES, but I want to speak to someone else.

When I spoke to the other girl she was so nice, I broke down over the phone. I couldn't help it. The horrible woman is the manager so there is nothing I can do apart from contact the main doctor directly. I dont want to make it weird if I go there again though.

But they way this woman had said YOU PEOPLE, what? does she mean FAT people? Why does she even WORK at a WLS clinic!

Does anyone have advice on how to handle this? Right now I feel like ripping out this fricken band from my body and throwing it in that Bs face!

Yup, see my post on the extraordinary conversation I had at Jenny Craig - its disgusting.  

By the way, I have never been told to do fluids after a fill - just to be careful, so its not as if eating a mandarin is a crime!

What an absolute cow....I would have done my nut!!

I would certainly give it to her next time I went in and also tell her boss what a bitch she is and that you almost gave up on it all because of her.

Hope you get better reception next time....good luck

That's is very poor practice, what a B...H!!

I am sorry to hear you have had to go through this, it's just not right. You have the band as a tool to tackle your weight problem, you are not sitting on your bum, eating everything in sight complaining about your weight and doing nothing about it!

Like you said, it's a mandarin NOT a big mac. Screw her!!

That person needs to find another job. I'd lodgea complaint with the doctor. 

It's a mandarin FFS....it's not radioactive! !!!

"People like HER" really give me the shits! 

Complain to the Dr. That's not ok at all, she's meant to be professional, not a judgemental bitch. If all else fails, go to a different clinic. Or at least threaten to!

Don't let her remarks get you down, its her problem being such a negative person but I would forward an official complaint.

That's interesting that you say we aren't allowed to eat after a fill, its just that of all my 10 fills one of the tests before being allowed to travel home is to show that I can eat normally. 

My surgeon has always said after each fill its back to hard foods straight away. I've always eaten the hard foods afterwards and have never had any issues.

Edited by Specialized29er
Spelling

If it was I me I would have told the B...that people like me can do something about our weight but she has to live with her b*****yness her whole life!

Do not let this woman take away your power!!! She has her own crap going on...don't be drawn into her negativity. You are doing nothing wrong.

OK .... maybe this "bitch" could have been more polite but the fact of the matter is, after a fill you're supposed to have fluids for as long as your surgeon tells you to. It wasn't that you ate fruit, it was that you ate solid food, very fibrous solid food, before you were instructed to. Now, if you want someone to hold your hand and tell you it's fine if you break the rules, and that works for you, fine. But if you have a fill, and eat solid food, and it gets stuck, and you're vomiting and in pain, and need to go back to your surgeon's office for an unfill ... don't whinge. The "bitch" at your surgeon's office is likely sick to death of people getting fills and then eating solid foods before they're supposed to and then ending up straight back to see the surgeon for an unfill ... and sooking about it. Put yourself in her shoes and see how long you could stay patient with people who do this. She likely deals with this on at least a daily basis. What do you want her to say? "Oh, you poor thing. You broke the rules? Nawww .... poor baby. You come on in here and waste our time because you couldn't follow the rules for 2 days." If you're hungry, drink something high in protein.

Don't follow the rules if you don't want to but don't go whinging if people call you on it.

I agree with Tish that you follow the rules but as I read Natasha's post -the mandarin didn't get stuck or cause a problem-the problem was not enough fill, she was still hungry, so she booked in for more fill as per Dr's advice.  Maybe the receptionist had a bad day and had a string of whiney people and this was the last straw.  Have a word to the doctor at  your next appt. and ask what the big deal was .

Personally, I've only had to drink the cup of water after a fill and if it went down OK then what I put in my mouth was up to me.  I did usually stick to fluids that first day but back to normal (cautious) eating next day.  

• Like 1

OK .... maybe this "bitch" could have been more polite but the fact of the matter is, after a fill you're supposed to have fluids for as long as your surgeon tells you to. It wasn't that you ate fruit, it was that you ate solid food, very fibrous solid food, before you were instructed to. Now, if you want someone to hold your hand and tell you it's fine if you break the rules, and that works for you, fine. But if you have a fill, and eat solid food, and it gets stuck, and you're vomiting and in pain, and need to go back to your surgeon's office for an unfill ... don't whinge. The "bitch" at your surgeon's office is likely sick to death of people getting fills and then eating solid foods before they're supposed to and then ending up straight back to see the surgeon for an unfill ... and sooking about it. Put yourself in her shoes and see how long you could stay patient with people who do this. She likely deals with this on at least a daily basis. What do you want her to say? "Oh, you poor thing. You broke the rules? Nawww .... poor baby. You come on in here and waste our time because you couldn't follow the rules for 2 days." If you're hungry, drink something high in protein.

Don't follow the rules if you don't want to but don't go whinging if people call you on it.

I'm not whinging that she called me up on it. I was upset about it because of how rude she was. She was angry at someone else that day and took it out on me. That's unfair and unprofessional. I would never do that in my job so neither should she.

I ate a mandarin after over 24 hours on fluids and I was having bad hunger pains. Hey if I ate a whole bloody meal THEN I would take it. I would GET it. 

I went into the clinic today to get another fill. The Doctor knew about what happened and before I said anything she apologised to me about it. I told her about how I ate a piece of fruit and she saw nothing wrong with that. She knows me and my past experiences with the band, she knows how hard I have worked to lose weight and my history. She knows that I am good and do NOT fall into the category of bandit which the receptionist put me in. 

I dont have to put myself in her shoes TishTish because I already am. At my work I have a similar role however I would never take my anger out on someone who I am supposed to help. This being in the medical industry makes that so much more important. 

Anyway, If someone hasn't followed the rules then its the Doctor who should speak to them about it. I was told to make another appointment if I didn't feel restriction and that's what I did. I now have 9 mils in my band and YES TishTish I am on bloody fluids.

If she's the receptionist/office manager, it shouldn't make a difference to her day why patients are coming in for fills - it's a band adjustment and she wouldn't know if it's a top up or an unfill unless someone tells her. I'm not sure why she would be sick of it TishTish - at least she has a job booking appointments and isn't bored sitting behind her desk. Keeping the surgeon's wallet full keeps her in a job, so frankly she can get stuffed if she thinks she has any right to make comments like that. Make a formal complaint if you feel you need to, but hopefully her boss is your doctor and the apology you received is enough for you.

• Like 1

I'm glad the doctor found out about it, and I hope she dealt with it. I live by the saying 'be kind, everyone is fighting a battle you know nothing about' - for some people, comments like hers may mean they don't return to the clinic and/or continue their WLS journey, or they do but dread visiting the clinic. 

• Like 1

I have NEVER been told to go fluids after a fill!

me either....on the basis that you should always be able to eat normally, otherwise it is usually too tight.