Sign in to follow this  

Has anyone had any luck taking Nexium?  I started getting a little bit of reflux/heartburn so started on the Nexium.  I kept finding it made things worse not better, I can't have anything dairy if I'm taking it as it curdles as soon as I eat it (cheese, yoghurt, milky coffee.)  I stopped taking it and am taking Mylanta and this is working so much better, no more waking up at midnight choking and it's almost instant relief when I take it.

Is it just me that hasn't had any luck with it?  Has anyone taken anything else that's worked better for them?

It works well for me but I try to avoid taking it - I prefer popping a few quickeze.  Nexium reduces stomach acid and long term really messes with iron absorption and your gut bacterial balances - its nasty stuff but one of those medications everyone seems to pop willingly, thinking its nothing much.

However, I have at times been utterly miserable with heartburn/stomach pain - its not really lap band related as my whole family suffers awfully with it, I think its just my lot.  When I'm like that, medication is a must, but for me it comes in bouts where I suffer for a while and then it goes away. What I find with Nexium is that if you take it like you're supposed to - daily for several months it does fix your problem but its REALLY hard to get off it, you have to taper slowly or you get really bad rebound heartburn.  I seem to be able to take it for short periods though and then stop again with no worry.

However, Zantac is way worse. If take even one zantac, I will have crippling heartburn 24 hours later on the dot!  

Personally, I think if Mylanta works for you stick with that.  I'd stay off any acid reducer if you can - but heartburn is one thing, actual waking up at night reflux is quite another and really means you need some fill out.

The reflux at night has stopped thank goodness.  I had a really bad stuck moment a couple of weeks back and didn't do the fluids and soft food for a few days so made it worse.

I stuck to optifast and soup for 4 days and it seems to have done the trick.  

With Nexium I get the same reaction as you've had to Zantac!  I think I will just avoid the Nexium and stick to the Mylanta.