ScratchCat

Liver Shrink Diet for 4 Weeks???

Hi Everyone

I am in the process of getting a surgery date from Circle of Care to have my 12 year old lap band removed followed by a sleeve a few months later. I just received an email from their staff advising that they need me to be on the liver shrink diet for at least one month prior to surgery. This sounds excessive to me compared to what I've read here and at other forums. I am in my early 30's, 185 cm tall and weight 170KG. No tests have been done on me to assess the size of my liver either.

This is a brief run down of what was sent to me:

Replace 3 meals with 3 meal replacements such as a KicStart drink or Optifast bar.

In addition, you should consume 2 cups of low carbohydrate vegetables each day (avoid potato, pumpkin, peas, corn, parsnip and legumes) . The vegetables can be steamed, micro-waved or cooked in a non-stick pan or with non-stick spray or you could have a salad.  

You have a 1 tsp oil allowance per day, other than that don’t add extra butter, oil, mayonnaise, dressing, yoghurt, cream or sour cream to your vegetables.  Do not add cheese or avocado to salads.
You can use most clear sauces and herbs and spices to add flavour, such as soy and oyster sauce, vinegar, lemon and lime juice and no oil salad dressings. 

Artificially sweetened cordials, artificial sweeteners for tea and coffee, diet soft drink, diet jelly and sugar free gum are also allowed as are stock powder and fat free fresh stock for making vegetable soup from your vegetable allowance.

If you are over 178cm, add 250ml skim or low fat milk per day for extra protein. Most people will be able to add 100ml of reduced fat milk per day for tea and coffee, without reducing rate of weight loss.

hi Scratch,

I was 167 and my surgeon wanted me to lose 15kgs for safety for the op. That was supposed to be around 2 weeks or so. I ended up saying 'screw it' and doing 5.5 weeks and dropped 20. It was gruelling around week 3, and got better again at the end of week 4 (light at the end of the tunnel), but I did make it without cheating. You can do it. Think of your health, think of the life you want. You can make 4 weeks, have faith in yourself. Plan and shop wisely, don't put yourself in positions where you will be tempted. Visualise your end date for the 4 weeks like with a calendar showing start and end dates on your fridge, and cross off each day. Good luck! Remember, 4 weeks to help get your life back on track.

• Like 4

Each case is different too - I think you have no choice but to follow instructions.  You really want surgery to be safe and to go ahead, you'd be gutted to have your band out, gain significant weight and then find that they cant do the surgery laparascopically (or at all).  Its not going to be easy, that's for sure.  I wonder if, given your height and high weight, you'd be allowed some extra protein above the milk - like a chicken breast a day?  Its really the lack of carbs that does the job, as your liver gets emptied of glycogen to fuel your body and then of course, it shrinks as a result.

hi Scratch,

I was 167 and my surgeon wanted me to lose 15kgs for safety for the op. That was supposed to be around 2 weeks or so. I ended up saying 'screw it' and doing 5.5 weeks and dropped 20. It was gruelling around week 3, and got better again at the end of week 4 (light at the end of the tunnel), but I did make it without cheating. You can do it. Think of your health, think of the life you want. You can make 4 weeks, have faith in yourself. Plan and shop wisely, don't put yourself in positions where you will be tempted. Visualise your end date for the 4 weeks like with a calendar showing start and end dates on your fridge, and cross off each day. Good luck! Remember, 4 weeks to help get your life back on track.

Hi David

Did you find it difficult you became lethargic with an inability to concentrate? I work in a high pace corporate environment that requires me to be on the ball and have a high attention to detail. I am concerned how such a long period on liver shrink will impact my mental alertness.

I will try and get in touch with the surgeon, but can't see why I can't have small amounts of protein such as a boiled egg, chicken etc so long as it doesn't exceed have oil etc.

hi Scratch,

I found energy levels were down for sure. I wasn't using sugar and carbs to recharge anymore. That being said, I felt great in general health from the shakes / veg - so kind of a trade off. Coffee was very much my friend (but went black for that time). If I was to do it again I would definitely consult surgeon and nutritionist to come up with a plan for dealing with that level of time. Maybe adding protein powder to the optifast or something like that? Work with your experts, explain your concerns and come up with a plan that works for you. I'm sure you'll do great

• Like 1

My starting weight was just over 100kg, and I did a week for opti. 

I really struggled, I felt very weak, light headed. Prior to opti I was going for a 30 minute lunch time work, on a few days of opti, I could walk about 5 minutes and needed to sit down. Lol I actually needed to have a cheeky nap one day at work. 

But in saying this, I have heard that it gets easier after the first week.

It was hard but you have to do it.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone

Whilst I am still surprised that the surgeon (Dr Roy Brancatisano) wants me on the liver shrink diet for 4 weeks, I am not as daunted by it thanks all your encouraging comments. I wasn't concerned about being hungry or starving, I was worried about headaches and lethargy and my ability to keep doing my job.

Circle of Care suggest OptiFast or KicStart, not sure which one to use though.

• Like 1

optifast is the main one that everyone gets put on.

they all do the same thing. Personally I used Optislim, that was simply a $$$ choice

Hi Everyone

I am now day 2 into my 4 week liver shrink diet and I am doing surprisingly well. The general consensus from various forums i've read was that the first 4 days are the worst but I really can't complain. Perhaps it's because I am so busy all day and evening and am just wrecked normally anyway? Here is what i've had the last two days and the nurse who works for my surgeon said she was happy with it. 

Breakfast 8:00 AM

• Kicstart Shake
  • Long Black with 2 Splenda Sachets
  • 2 large glasses of chilled water

Lunch 12:30PM

• 1 Cup of salad greens (Capsicum, Mushroom, Celery, Rocket) tossed with balsamic vinegar.
  • Optifast Bar
  • 1 large glass of chilled water

Afternoon Tea 15:00PM

• Cup of strong black tea with 2 splenda sachets
  • 1 large glass of chilled water

Dinner 7:00 PM

• 100gm lean fillet beef, medium rare with worcestshire sauce and cracked pepper
  • 1 cup of vegetables (Brocolli, Mushroom, Eggplant, Zuchini, Onion) stir fried with soy sauce and garlic
  • 1 Cup of diet jelly (sugarless)

Late Night treat 10:00 PM

• 1 Mug of sugarless diet hot chocolate with hot water and splenda
  • Like 1

Congratulations on your great start and your determination to change your life. The 4 weeks pre op will be over before you know it. Don't hesitate to turn to this forum for support and advice along the way - there is an absolute gold mine of experience available amongst the members on this site.

Molly

So i'm on my 5th day now and am wondering how important it is to stick to exactly one cup of vegetables or salad for portions? I would love to up my lunch time green salad intake to at least 2 cups as I am a big guy and am feeling really run down. I am 185cm tall and weigh 170kg.

So i'm on my 5th day now and am wondering how important it is to stick to exactly one cup of vegetables or salad for portions? I would love to up my lunch time green salad intake to at least 2 cups as I am a big guy and am feeling really run down. I am 185cm tall and weigh 170kg.

Best you discuss this with your dietitian.  Although I have heard some dieticians have OK'd a small amount of protein.

Plus the smaller the liver, the less complications there are to prevent it from being nicked during surgery, as it is located so close to the stomach.

Edited by Nessa1977

One week down of 3 weeks to go and am feeling fine. I've decided not to weigh myself until the day of my surgery to get a really big surprise on the amount i've lost.

• Like 1

ScratchCat I admire your willpower in regard to not weighing yourself until surgery day. You will have a very, very pleasant surprise in 3 weeks time.  From memory, I think I weighed myself two or  three times a day during the Optifast phase because I couldn't believe how quickly I was dropping the kilograms. Even now, 4 1/2 months post op, I have to put the scales in the bathroom vanity to stop myself from jumping on every time I pass them. I have no will power at all when it comes to weighing myself less than once a day.

Hi Everyone

Just got home after my band removal and had some issues that resulted in me discharging myself thanks to my displeasure with my surgeon (see this post for more info). Anyway, after 4 weeks on the liver shrink diet my weight dropped from 170.4 KG to 160.5, approx 10KG in 4 weeks. Whilst i'm happy about the weight loss I was expecting at least 15 KG and am a little disappointed.