Sign in to follow this  
DavidR

The dreaded apron

I know there are a looooootttttt of posts about excess skin removal, whether its covered by PHI, Medicare etc. but it seems to be a confusing subject. Let's keep this strictly to the apron and not other loose skin. From everything I've read medicare (in some fashion) covers you for the apron if your surgeon can advise it will cause health issues.

Can anyone confirm if you can have the apron removed via the public system under medicare, or if medicare simply covers the gap if you have PHI?

If its deemed necessary by a surgeon it will have a medicare item number and becomes exactly like any other necessary surgery - medicare will cover the surgery, anaesthetic, tests and treatments in hospital and your PHI covers the cost of the bed  (plus maybe a bit of the gap if there is one).

However, a panniculectomy (which is simply the removal of the apron) is not a cosmetic procedure.  They'll whip off the skin but it includes no muscle tightening/repair and no belly button, that will be just gone and not reconstructed.  You definitely wont bet the more pleasing aesthetic of a tummy tuck.   Which might not matter so much to a male patient because you haven't had a couple of pregnancies to destroy your abdominal musculature and might not need the muscle repair anyway.

Edited by jachut

I know there are a looooootttttt of posts about excess skin removal, whether its covered by PHI, Medicare etc. but it seems to be a confusing subject. Let's keep this strictly to the apron and not other loose skin. From everything I've read medicare (in some fashion) covers you for the apron if your surgeon can advise it will cause health issues.

Can anyone confirm if you can have the apron removed via the public system under medicare, or if medicare simply covers the gap if you have PHI?

if you have lost 5 or more BMI points, maintained your weight for at least 6 months, have recorded medical issues  caused by loose skin and all other efforts to correct the problems have failed then you are eligible for an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) with or without muscle repair.

Even blokes may have muscle separation due to obesity, but it is more common in women through pregnancy.

You'll need to ensure that any rashes, ulcers or other medical issues are reported to your GP and put on your medical record.

As for public system plastic surgery - expect a LONG wait. You can get a tummy tuck privately, with or without PHI but of course PHI will make your out of pocket expenses thousands of dollars cheaper.

• Like 1