enoughisenough71

Surgeon in Melbourne for BMI under 35

Hi All, 

First post here, I have been looking into getting a sleeve for a few months now.

I have a lowish BMI though (33) but have struggled with my weight since having a partial thyroidectomy 10 years ago. I was a normal weight of 60kg then but have put on nearly 30 kilos over the last 10 years despite trying every diet under the sun and being on thyroid replacement and going to the gym 3-4 times per week. I think this is the reason I am actually not bigger than I am as I am so strict.  It's got to the stage though where I just can't cope with it anymore and need a solution that is not just eat less and move more while still seeing my weight go up.

Has anyone on here had a sleeve with a low BMI in Melbourne? Did you find a surgeon who was sympathetic to you? I have chronic back pain that I'm sure is not helped by being overweight, and I have a family history of obesity. Both my parents died young and I don't want to join them just yet! My mother was just 56 which is only 11 years away for me, so I am pretty worried I may end up with the same fate if I don't do something soon. 

Would love to hear from anyone who was in a similar situation and was successful in getting a GP referral and a surgeon willing to operate.

I know this is not the information you want to hear, but even with the sleeve, the only real solution is to eat less and move more. 

Highly unlikely with a low BMI but if you have comorbidities, you might be lucky, but best speak with a surgeon.

Where in Melbourne are you?

I'm not sleeved but banded - I was banded in 2005 by Gary Crosthwaite at the Centre for Bariatric Surgery at a BMI of 31.  They certainly treated my weight problem seriously and took the view that I would continue to get heavier.  They have also been more than supportive of me determining my goal weight at wanting to be at a BMI closer to 20 than 25.

Thanks for the replies, I have spoken to a couple of places this morning and both were happy for me to come in for a consultation. One was particularly helpful and encouraging which was a great first impression. 

I have just got back from my GP with a referral (thought I would have to battle for it but she was more than happy to give me one) so I am feeling positive. From my research on here and another forum I get the impression I may have to go the band route at my BMI, so that's what I will do if I can't have the sleeve.

Thanks again :)

That's great.I agree, you'll probably be steered towards banding rather than a sleeve at a lower BMI. When I had my surgery the lapband was all that was available.