Ozchick

Barium Swallow.

My band has been giving me the irrits lately.  Since i came back from A holiday in NZ Ia few months back, I'm choking on just about anything and went to see Doctor.  She took out fill and gave me.a referral for a  Barium swallow which I had today.  The guy doing it asked if I suffered much from reflux.  Said no, never. 'Are you sure'?  he asked again.  No, same answer.  Had a gastroscopy a few months back and was told the band was lying slightly oblique which could cause problems but no sign of  reflux.  

Gotta get it sorted because I've fallen into bad habits, eating sliders and having shakes.  I go back for the results next Tuesday and I'll have to get fill put back in. I have put on a kilo since I last saw her 6 months ago so she was not too worried but I start to get worried when the scales go up!!!!  

Ack, I have a referral too. I'm putting it off because I know that the constant pain in my stomach must be reflux and I know what that'll mean.  But since I had a bit of fill out I'm having real trouble maintaining my weight and I'm NOT eating more.  It seems unfill = weight gain no matter what!  I hope the results are OK for you.

I do wonder though, what if you were a person who was always going to get reflux anyway - I mean its not unique to bandsters, its a common problem.  Can you have good fill in your band and just take reflux medication?  

• Like 1

I have the results- the band is OK in position, the results say I have reflux.  (Also i'm putting on weight again with not eating more!!!)  

What are the symptoms of reflux?   I don't get that regurgitation, or cough and unless there are symptoms I don't know about.   I do have that pain on eating and if I continue I'll just know I'll throw up!  I have felt it's more about something getting stuck.  I have gagged on cruskits, strawberries & bit of yoghurt and even with shakes there are problems.  I see the Doctor to get my fill topped up and see what she says next Tuesday.

Reflux can be a very curious disease. I'm sure that's my problem too but with a barium swallow, its only a snippet of time and if you're not having reflux right at that moment, it wont show up.

What you describe sounds more like band issues - well not issues, it sounds like how the band is supposed to work. Reminding you gently to slow down or stop with that pressure/discomfort.

What I get with the "reflux" I think I have - never ever do I have episodes at night where I cough, choke or acid shoots up my throat waking me. I've had that before and it was fixed with a slight unfill. I've also been a little tight before and needed to clear my throat constantly.  I never get what i call "heartburn" which is a stinging burning feeling in the throat.  Now I get burning, gnawing pain in my stomach at random times but most particularly when I have an empty stomach and in fact this is really affecting my weight because I'm always eating something!  I swallow food and some days it just hurts when it hits my stomach and wine or cold foods REALLY hurt.  And then I get the massive pain episodes where it feels like something boring away at my stomach and it aches through my back, up my throat into my jaw and cheeks and has once made me call an ambulance.  Those last about 5 to 20 minutes and disappear as suddenly as they start.

What I think of as reflux is suffering AFTER you eat and especially after big, rich or spicy meals, with the typical heartburn sensation that is relieved by some Mylanta or quickeze or something.  That doesnt fit me at all.  

Yet my barium swallow yesterday was totally normal! I am also FAR from tight. I can eat anything and I can eat quite a bit.

Reflux can often be fixed with an unfill and I doubt that your doc will fill you if you have known reflux.  

• Like 1

The crazy thing was that the first 3 months fill was great and then went on a holiday to NZ came back and this started to happen.  (I've been on short and long haul flights and never change the fill and had no problems) I kept waiting for it to settle down and finally made an appt to see Doctor after 10 weeks.  She did ask why I waited so long to see her and said in future if it doesn't settle in a few days to come and see her. 

Thanks for your insight and I guess I'll just wait until Tuesday and see what happens!

The first time I had any issues was after a trip to Sydney from Perth.  Apparently the air pressure in the plane can affect your band and boy did it affect me!  I went from being in a good place losing weight to not being able to keep anything down and eventually choking on reflux at night.  It generally starts with me just not being able to keep anything down (even coffee will bounce right back up) then ends up with the more full on acid reflux stage.  At it's worst I can't have anything dairy as it instantly curdles and it's really gross...

• Like 1

sounds exactly what's been happening to me.   Got to be maybe one mouthful of nearly anything (and eventually resorting to chocolate and other nice smooth slidey stuf) and putting on 1kg that made me run to get checked out! Usually have a skinny cap in the mornings and that would come straight back up.

Must admit these last 2 weeks have been nice to eat "normal" foods (and put on another 1kg:angry:

• Like 1

Bloody reflux!  Nexium makes it worse for me, I've found good old Mylanta and chewy QuickEze work the best.  I have a gulp of Mylanta in the morning before anything and then have no issues.  The few times I've forgotten my flat white curdles and I have heartburn until I remember the antacids.

It appears that I have something called Cricopharangeal dysfunction.  I had the double whammy of tight band and this muscle in my throat which makes the food feel 'stuck' before it even gets to my band.  I had 3ml (of the 5ml taken out) put back in and see how I go but the doc said it was important that the  band is never too tight.  So while I've kind of always had a sensitive band to fills it could get worse.  It's nothing to do with the band - it would be the same with a sleeve and if it gets worse I may have to have a small op to cut it.  

Looking on the bright side-I don't have reflux or a slipped band :)

That's great news.  On the other hand, I do have an enlarged pouch. The guy in the hospital who did the barium swallow said everything looked fine but my surgeon was not happy and unfilled me significantly.  I'm terrified!  But he said that its entirely likely I'll feel MORE restriction, not less as my stomach settles down. 

I must say I'm eating dinner right now and I'm getting full pretty quickly so maybe that'll be true.  My kids laugh at the mountains of food I serve them and then my tiny little plate.

its  a good reminder that its SO important to follow bandster rules. Portion size is everything!

Edited by jachut
  • Like 1

I agree! Portion is everything!  The first few days I was too scared to eat too much then I had a pretty normal size meal because I was really hungry and was a bit shocked when could eat it all.  (2 small chicken tenderloin snitzel instead of one + veggies)  I've been pulling back since and doing a bit of extra walking. It was just so easy to fall into the same bad habits that got me investing in a band in the first place!

Yes, I have made a new commitment to burning 400 calories a day on my treadmill!

• Like 1