Jamestp

13 months post op gained 15 kgs

Well here is my story. Back in 2010 I weighed 130 kgs and had lap band surgery. Over the following years I got down to around 75 kgs at one stage. Then in 2014 went to Thailand with my wife so had some fill taken out. When i got back I had a few fills but had no restriction. Found out I had a hole in my port so had surgery to replace it.

Ended up with staph infection so had the whole band removed. My awesome surgeon said he would do gastric sleeve surgery for free and even managed to get me into Monash in less than 2 months wait on public health. That was April 23rd last year and at the time I was around 100 kgs.

I managed to get down to about 85 kgs after the operation but then my weight slowly started to climb. I then quit smoking in January this year and in that time have increased  my weight to 101 kgs. It just doesn't seem to work If I eat too much I end up bringing it up but then a short time later Im hungry again.

I know my diet is shocking but the problem is if it worked I wouldn't be hungry and would eat healthier/ I just find that if I eat healthy stuff Im not satisfied.

Here is an example of my daily food intake. I know this is all junk but the problem is Im always hungry.

Brekky: Coffee or Dare iced coffee and a bacon and egg roll.

Morning Tea: another coffee and a pie.

Lunch: Roast pork and gravy in a  container. or chicken snitzel cheese avo and mayo sandwich.

Dinner: curry and rice, or frozen fish fillet with chips and squid rings or pork belly and roast potatoes.

I also drink 2-3 beers a night and will snack on potato chips. i eat them until Im full and have to regurgitate them then eat some more.

I find I go to bed and get shocking reflux where I gag and choke on it as it nearly enters my lungs. Ive been on sumac since even before my surgery and take a lot of gaviscon.

And I bring up food almost every single time I eat. But I find Im still hungry and don't feel full so i bring it up then have some more and repeat.

So Im assuming I've stretched my sleeve as well which is why I am gaining so much weight.

Any ideas on what I can do here because Im worried at this rate I will end up being back to my original weight and no chance of getting more surgery?

How large are your mouthfuls when you eat?  I find I've only wanted to bring things up if I eat too quickly or don't chew well.  Basically chew exactly as you would for the band to prevent anything becoming stuck.  Also, it still takes 10 - 20 minutes for your stomach to signal your brain that you've had enough food so you should never eat until you feel full and bloated, as by then you've already had way more than than your tummy can take, which may also explain the spewing.

For me personally, it has taken a lot more mindful eating to realise that I'm not hungry, just bored, lonely, angry etc and completely separating meals from other distractions (like tv, computer etc) is the only way I stop before I feel uncomfortable.  It did take months of will power to ignore the belief I was hungry just because I was watching tv, but once I broke that link in my head, every evening became a lot easier to stop eating after meals.  The sleeve reduces how much you can eat at one time, but it will not stop you believing you are hungry, as that is a habit that has been formed over a life time.

I think the best thing you could do to start is simply cut all your meals in half.  You could still eat the same amount in your day, but over 6/7 meals instead of three.  With the vomiting you are describing, I think your portions are far too large for your stomach.  You also shouldn't be drinking anything at the same time as you eat.  Perhaps try half your bacon roll, wait half an hour for your coffee and then the other half an hour after that? That would mean you'll be eating more frequently, which may help with the hunger, and also not putting pressure on your tummy by trying to put more in that fits. 

Other than that, I know protein keeps you feeling full longer than carbs, alcohol is empty calories that also make it harder to make good food decisions and if you don't bring chips into the house, they aren't there to tempt you.

Good luck.

• Like 2

I agree with nejifer,

I am a carb addict. I can not allow myself to indulge because then i crave more. You could replace your dare milk for coffee optifast, add more instsnt coffee to it if its not strong enough. I use a straw which makes it last longer. Im not saying im a goody two shoes. I have wine nearly every night as a reward for not going overboard, i have roasted almonds sometimes, these would be better than chips. I freeze portions in ziplock bags and this keeps them fresh.

The most important thing is not to give up. Ive lost many kilos over the years and, yes, regained, but if i gave up and never tried id be hugemongus by now. Good luck. Cheers.

• Like 2

hey James, honestly I don't think you're going to hear anything you want to hear. Just remember its a life long battle and we all have our dark times - glad you are reaching out here. Advice like nejnifer has given is valid as a general rule for people who are struggling but generally headed in the right direction. In your case, you know your diet is terrible, and your behaviours are directly responsible for it. It's not that you can't be satisfied by healthy food it's a mental battle that we all share. I love sugar, I love carbs but there is no excusing our lack of willpower when we over indulge. You can see you have almost no vegetable content and have a diet high in fat and carbs. If this is your standard diet at the moment rather than an exception where maybe you have a bad day and binged, you have your answer as to your problem.

The only real recommendation for fixing this mate is get yourself to a psychologist to address the issues behind your eating, and work extremely closely with a dietician to help you manage your diet and add that component of feeling 'accountable' knowing you will see them week on week. This is a fight, one that you can win. Don't be afraid to get that help, we all need help from time to time.

I really wish you all the best and I know you can do it. You just need the help. Don't be afraid to reach out to your doctor and get psychology sessions and dietician referrals. You can make it happen and feel good about yourself again.

• Like 6

Okay I'm going to put this as nicely as I can, not only is what your eating going to make you put on weight but how you are eating is going to hurt you in the long run. Your meal size should be about 5 mouth fulls or half a cup, your not ment to eat and drink at the same time so have a drink wait at lest half an hour then have something to eat. You should be sticking to 3 meals a day and only have something small in between like a few nuts or some carrots sticks. I was 130kg also and have the sleeve. You shouldn't drink beer as the bubbles stretch your stomach. Here's how my day gos 

I have a hot coffee first thing in the morning then 45 min latter have one piece of toast with bakebeans I find they keep me full till lunch. Lunch I have a crusket with peanut butter sometimes 2 or I have some cooked chicken. Then tea is meat and veg with rice or pasta. For snacks I have one piece of chocolate or some mixed salted nuts. I'm not a fan of health food so I still eat bad stuff but just very small amounts, I don't eat till I feel full I just stick to the 5 mouth falls and chew chew chew. 

The band/sleeve are a tool you use to help you, not to do the work for you. Getting over the mental side of it is hard. Took me a long time to work out I wasn't really hungry just bored and didn't know what to do with myself at the times when I would normally be eating even harder when your an x smoker I use to smoke too. 

I would really try to cut out the ice coffee they are so full of sugar and the more you drink the more your body will crave it. Sugar is a hard addiction to break. I drink a lot of hot coffees with fake sugar, I drink a hot drink in those time I'm bored and thinking about food but know its not time to eat. If your not a hot drink person you can make your own ice coffee? 

Eating till your sick and then eating more is so very bad for you! Plz stop doing that! Your body doesn't need much food to work we have just been so use to big portion its hard to look at plate of food the size of a toddlers plate and think it enough. 

I wish you all the best on your journey and hope things get better. Feel free to mess me if you have any questions. What the other ppl have said is ture.

• Like 2

I actually think it might be good for you if you sought out some help.  I really think you MUST be eating past the signals to tell you you've had enough, and you've probably stretched out your stomach a bit. That's the issue.

The types of foods you're eating, yeah, they're bad but at the end of the day for weight loss (not health in general) its portion size that matters.  Its overeating on such a big scale that you really need help with.  I like quite a few healthy foods but to be honest, I will never give up things like biscuits and muffins. Never. I don't want to and I'm bloody not going to.  Thankfully I don't also love Maccas, soft drinks and pies.  But I will continue to sometimes eat nothing but biscuits for lunch. 

Early on in the peace I decided this.  It was portion size that I was going to work with and I also banned chocolate - I can eat a family block STILL because its such a slider. But I can only eat one muffin break muffin and then I cant finish my cappuccino.  I lost weight very successfully and have kept it off by and large.  I struggle with a few kgs from time to time.  I've had other issues - like terribly low iron levels and such because my diet is not ideal. I take a multivitamin, omegas and iron and the days that it feels good to eat healthy, I do it.  Dinner is always a healthy  meal. 

I cant and wont face a life without my favourite foods.  Its not ideal but in the world we live in these foods bombard us from every direction and I think its just too hard to try to ban them.  Eat a pie but not a huge one - have two party pies instead.  Eat a hotdog but chuck half the bun away.  Eat hot chips but don't finish the bucket. Try and give up one or two of those worst vices - the iced coffee and the soft drink because those are sliders that don't touch the sides.  Have two beers instead of three. It will all add up to make a big difference. 

But the main thing is the portions.  If you go on as you are, you could cause untold damage to your body. And you need to be honest about hunger.  Are you trying to satisfy your stomach or your head?

I'm also not sure whether you'd consider going on to a full gastric bypass?  You might need the element of malabsorption too to help you out. 

Edited by jachut

Thanks everyone for the advice and sorry it's taken me awhile to respond.  I know I certainly have some issues I need to try and fix. But I just can't see how a psychologist or a Dietician is going to make me not feel hungry.  I know what I should  be eating. I just find that it doesn't fill me up.

There is is no way half a cup of food is going to satisfy me.  Often I've had a bowl of muesli at 7am and then at 10am brought a coffee and a pie from the coffee van and ate all of that.  I'm gaining weight at a rate of 1kg a week and am up to 103.5 kgs now.

As an example today I had an egg and bacon roll for breakfast and a coffee.  At 10am had a pie and a coffee. For lunch had a pork belly sandwich a dim sim and a potato cake. After this I felt really full.  Then for dinner had 2 pork spare ribs and some chips.  I feel really full after eating this and just brought some food up because I'm having a beer with it. But in about an hour I will end up eating some potato chips.  I just can't see how I would go eating only half a cup of food.  I would be starving 5 minutes later.

i really wish I could eat just that.  I think I just have to go hungry all my life and fight the will to want to eat all the time.

Is the problem that I've just stretched my pouch too much? How much can you stretch it especially if I've gone just over a year of constantly over eating a bringing it back up?

i would consider a re sleeve or gastric bypass but I self funded my band using my super and my surgeon did my sleeve operation no charge and got me into Monash on public health. So I can't afford the operation and have no insurance.

Even today when I brought the pork belly sandwich I also brought a potato cake and dim sim to eat when driving back to work from the shop as I was starving. Even though after eating all of that I was very full. Then tonight after eating the pork spare ribs and chips I continued to drink a beer so ended up bringing food back up 4 or 5 times.

Then 15 minutes later I was hungry again and right now feel like eating some chips.  Although I must admit as I type this I haven't bothered getting up from the couch and the hunger seems to have s8bsided a bit. I noticed this happen 0n the weekend too. I asked my gf if she wanted some lunch but she wasn't hungry. I was but wanted to wait until she wanted lunch. An hour later I had forgotten all about it.

i just really wish 1/2 a cup of food did fill me up. But I think Ive stretched my sleeve too much.

You have to be honest with yourself James. You're basically saying half a cup of the right foods won't fill you up, so you feel you have to go and eat junk. You are actively choosing high fat, high sugar, high carb foods. You could eat a lot of "good food" and fill the hunger, just at a greater volume than half a cup. If you acknowledge you are eating what you eat because you *want* to, that will help you see why you need the psychologist and dietician. The biggest part of weight loss is the mental game. It's where we all struggle the most. You need the help to stop yourself making the bad choices, and to void the excuses. You can eat however much you need to eat at whatever regularity you need to - if it's the right foods. You can do it, and you can master the hunger, but you have to address the underlying issues which make you choose to eat crap and want to vomit it up to eat more. You cannot be reading what I just wrote and in any way think that is normal and healthy. I really hope you take the step mate, get the help because I think you really want to fix this, you wouldn't be here if you didn't. You can do it, just don't be afraid to get the help.

• Like 6

Hi David. I'm reading your post and I know that you are 100% dead right. It's just trying to take the steps towards fixing this.  I think a lot of It is just head hunger. The reason why is because during the week I eat chips before and after dinner almost every night.  once I go to bed I end up going to the toilet and bringing them up at least 3-4 times before finally going to sleep.  Then often I wake up in the middle of the night gagging on my stomach acid as it refluxes or with heart burn and needing gaviscon.  (I'm  also on somac tablets) 

But on the weekend I stay at my partners house or she stays at mine. She would crack it at me if I ate chips after dinner so I don't. And I'm not even hungry. I can have dinner and that's it until bedtime and I'm fine. So a lot of it must be head hunger.  

I found this link called pouch rules for dummies which has some really good ideas  and I'm going to try and follow the rules.

http://www.amylhwilliams.com/pouchrulesfordummies.html

Also my surgeon retired last year but he gave another surgeon that I can see. So I'm off to Tassie for a holiday at the end off this week for two weeks but when I get back I'm going to go and see the surgeon and their dietician.  

Thanks for your advice and help.  

• Like 1

One thing I forgot is do you think I've stretched my pouch too much? In the pouch rules for dummy's it mentions the cottage cheese test where you see how much you can eat and this gives you an idea of how big your pouch is. I'm going to try it tomorrow morning and will let you know how I go.

Good luck James. Honestly I'd forget about whether you have stretched it or not. Even if you have, you need to fix the head hunger issues and be able to commit to a healthy lifestyle before you would want to consider doing something about it. Hope you have a good holiday. Even though it's a holiday try to master your hunger and every time you reach for junk, try to make it a healthy option instead, and beyond anything, do not even think about regurgitating food to be able to eat more or eating until you know that's going to be the result. That right there is the definition of an eating disorder mate - love yourself, be kind to yourself.

• Like 3

Try to substutute the chips etc with protein. I think some weight gain is inevitable.

I  went from 135kg to 85kg and my hunger has returned 12 months post-op but I try to snack  on yogurt and Titan protein bars and I excercise. I have resigned to putting on some weight again, but at 90kg I would still be in a healthy weight range.

Agree with what David said.

Try not to drink beer when eating. It increases hunger and makes the food slide through the digestive system very quickly, leaving you hungry quickly. Nothing wrong with a few beers, just not every day. Once or twice week.

Start walking. Just try to get out there. It can be hard I know.

Most of all, what David said, be kind to yourself.

• Like 3

That's good advice.  There is really no way you're ready yet to re-do a weight loss surgery. They ALL require behaviour modification and that's really difficult.  I've found the hardest thing over the past 11 years is distinguishing wanting to eat from true hunger and I have to relearn this over and over.  Its like when people say they need more restriction and keep really tight bands - it simply doesnt work that way.  Like all weight loss surgeries it is meant to be a quiet presence and you do most of the work.  Hard stops, with all of the surgeries, are not what you're aiming at.

• Like 3

Thanks once again for all the advice. I did try the cottage cheese test just to see how big my pouch actually is. I ate half of a 500gram container before feeling very sick. That stuff is horrible and way too salty eating it in such large quantities. I felt full but I think I could have fit a bit more in before my pouch was full so I'm guessing my sleeve is around 300mls. I know I shouldn't worry about the size but one thing this exercise has done is made me realise  that my sleeve hasn't stretched that much and it still should be a tool that will help me, I'm just not using it properly.

I've decided to cut out drinking weeknights and only drink on weekends. And when we go to Tassie we will be doing a lot of walking and trying to order healthy meals whenever possible. I actually enjoy walking and have time at night when i get home from work to do so, but I got into this rut of coming home and pouring a beer and sitting on the couch watching TV whilst surfing the net on my Ipad. So I will have to get out of that habit.

Thanks once again everyone.

• Like 2

Awesome!  I'm going to Europe in 4 weeks and my plan is the same - lots of walking and being busy so not sitting around wanting to eat.  And sitting round surfing the net/watching TV is deadly for me -  get the munchies big time.

• Like 2

Thanks once again for all the advice. I did try the cottage cheese test just to see how big my pouch actually is. I ate half of a 500gram container before feeling very sick. That stuff is horrible and way too salty eating it in such large quantities. I felt full but I think I could have fit a bit more in before my pouch was full so I'm guessing my sleeve is around 300mls. I know I shouldn't worry about the size but one thing this exercise has done is made me realise  that my sleeve hasn't stretched that much and it still should be a tool that will help me, I'm just not using it properly.

I've decided to cut out drinking weeknights and only drink on weekends. And when we go to Tassie we will be doing a lot of walking and trying to order healthy meals whenever possible. I actually enjoy walking and have time at night when i get home from work to do so, but I got into this rut of coming home and pouring a beer and sitting on the couch watching TV whilst surfing the net on my Ipad. So I will have to get out of that habit.

Thanks once again everyone.

I spent two weeks in Texas not long ago. Clocked up 15,000 steps per day just by walking. Also did a lot of running and I was doing 25,000 steps per day. Drank at least 6 beers every night, and ate burgers and quesadillas pretty much every day (could only eat half of those portions though) and I came back having lost 100 grams. haha!

You can do it. Pre-sleeve, your routine was pretty much mine. Get home, pour beer or wine, eat and surf the net while watching TV. It's a rut and a habit and it's hard to break. But it can be done.

• Like 3