Jo

Gallbladder removal/recovery

Hi guys,

I haven't been on here for a while but wanted to know if any of you have had your gallbladder removed post lap and? 

I had mine out last night after a week in hospital with excruciating pain!

Questions:

Did you need to change your diet?

How long before you were exercising again?

Did you put on weight, I have read a fair bit of info saying people gain weight afterwards?

Any general tips advice that you can share?

Thanks in advance

I had mine out pre lap banding but mine was open surgery so the recovery was  much more difficult than a regular keyhole procedure.

I haven't had to change my diet at all, but fatty/spicy/dairy foods never flared up my gall bladder even when I still had one.

I didn't regularly exercise when I had my gall bladder out, but I'd say it would have take me a good 6 weeks minimum before I would have been able to exercise again. But as I said, I had major open surgery.

I was very very sick after having my surgery so actually lost about 10kg .... but put it all back on, with interest, over time.

Thanks for your response tish, I am up and eating, feeling fairly good at the moment. I was going so well with my exercise, thinking I still might go back in a couple of weeks and do some gentle recovery exercises, if I'm up to it! Thanks again and hope you are recovering well from your surgery xx

• Like 1

Had mine done pre banding also.  Was six weeks before I was able to lift again, but I'm pretty sure I was allowed to walk gently before then.  Best check with your surgeon.  I too had open surgery so a longer recovery.  Wishing you a quick recovery!

• Like 1

Hi jo,

Had mine out 4 weeks ago, just returned to the gym this last tuesday, but went easy on myself. Had sporadic pain for 3 weeks, but nothing too bad. I seem to be more squeemish with fried foods, no other problems. I had sleeve done end of october. I haven't put on weight, but my weight loss has definitely stalled, hoping now im back at the gym will rectify that. Good luck, everyday gets better and better. Cheers.

• Like 1

Thanks for your responses everyone! Soul sister, I was also banded in October, my surgeon said many wls surgery patients have gallbladder problemfrom the weight loss. I got quite a shock when I hopped on the scales, I had gained four kilos in a week and that was not eating and being on a drip, hoping it's all fluid. The doc in emergency also removed a ml from my band to see if that was the problem, it wasn't and won't hurt to be able to eat a little more after the op.

Surgeon has said after two weeks, light exercise and four weeks back to full workout. 

Not as sore as I thought I would be, was worse after lapban but I am also 30kgs lighter a d much healthier!!

Well done jo,

My surgeon also said its not uncommon to need the gallbladder out after wls. Be kind to yourself at this time. Its just a blip in the journey.

I know i'm much happier and healthier and i have a definite spring in my step. Its easy to forget how hard everything was before. Just walking, stairs, getting out of my chair, etc. Im sure even the gallbladder op was easier with less weight on, for the surgery and the recovery.

Good luck, cheers.

• Like 1

Fear not soul sister, its the drip. They fill you SO full of fluids in hospital.  It makes me really cranky.  Unfortunately I have had six surgeries in the last five years and each adn every time I got so bloody cranky with that drip. I get to the point where I'm so full of fluid, I cant bend my fingers and I cant see any bones or tendons in my feet! And still they insist on leaving it in. I'm always four or five kg heavier for a week or more when I get home.

• Like 2

Thanks for all your feedback, hoping to shed this fluid soon and get back on track