Sign in to follow this  

Call out to all the lovelies here who have a lapband, have had problems with a slippage AND have x rays of it.

Does it look anything like the second x ray?

The first x ray was done 2 years ago when my pain was, surprise surprise, right where that bottom loop of tubing was laying. Notice the lapband looks like a rectangular shape. (Completely normal.)

The second x ray was done a couple of weeks ago, after my revision surgery, and my pain is now, again no surprises, located right at the bottom of that lower loop of tubing. Notice the different orientation of the lapband ... you can see through the middle of it. Now, I know a slipped band will have a circular appearance on x ray but this is oval, not circular, so I'm not sure if it's slipped or not, so just want to know if anyone who's had a slipped band has seen it like this on x ray, or, if anyone has been told that this is also a completely normal band position.

For the record, after my revisional surgery to shorten my tubing it's now 6cm longer. Notice also that the connector is different, confirming that at least some of my tubing has been replaced.

I'm burning mad right now.

ps. I have an appointment to see my GP regarding the appearance of my lapband in the second x ray, and also to see what can be done regarding the way I was treated at my post op lap band revision appointment with the surgeon last week but just wanted to find out if anyone here has any first hand experience with this.

June 2014.jpg

June 2016.jpg

Hm it's hard to tell - my first thought was that it's due to the angle your stomach is sitting as you are lying down, but in my X-rays (barium swallow) I could see my stomach to some degree so it was easier to work out. Have you got any symptoms of a slip - eg sporadic tightness? 

That is terrible about the tubing - how on earth did they muck that up so badly? Are you going to have it revised again? 

Sorry Tish- looks a bit like my last Xray which was normal.  I had a barium swallow afterwards which showed Cricopharyngeal dysfunction-  so all the problems that I thought were related to slipped band, stuck moments etc. -weren't. 

I will dig through my pile of X-rays and see if I can send you a pic.  Have to go out for a while now so I'll hunt later.  

PictureShadowOuterTopLeft.png

Edited by Ozchick
wrong link

I'm having trouble posting-Just out of Hospital last night and another U/S today my brain is dead.  Hope you can make sense of it!

thumb_IMG_0891_1024.jpeg

• Like 1

Tish, do you know what your phi angle of your bands is?  I think you could be confusing the "O" sign of a slipped band >58 degrees, with yours.  Normal Phi angle for bands ranges from  4-58 degrees.  Mine as per Xray is at 38 degrees. The slipped bands that I can  see (on a quick Google) are around 120 degrees.  If you imagine your X-ray  and tip the top of the band down 90 degrees you will get an obtuse angle that indicates slip.  The angle is determined by the vertical (vertebrae) and the line of the angle that points to the shoulder at the level of the band. 

Of course The drugs they gave me in hospital could still be affecting me and I'm talking through my hat :) Love to know how you get on.

• Like 2

Tish, do you know what your phi angle of your bands is?  I think you could be confusing the "O" sign of a slipped band >58 degrees, with yours.  Normal Phi angle for bands ranges from  4-58 degrees.  Mine as per Xray is at 38 degrees. The slipped bands that I can  see (on a quick Google) are around 120 degrees.  If you imagine your X-ray  and tip the top of the band down 90 degrees you will get an obtuse angle that indicates slip.  The angle is determined by the vertical (vertebrae) and the line of the angle that points to the shoulder at the level of the band. 

Of course The drugs they gave me in hospital could still be affecting me and I'm talking through my hat :) Love to know how you get on.

I haven't been told what the phi angle is but it looks to be around 60 degrees which is close enough to 58. From my understanding, the "O" sign is different to the phi angle, I'm just not sure how much of an "O" is indicative of a slip. Either way, it's looking like I'll have to wait a few more weeks to find out. In the meantime I'm having so much trouble eating and having to vomit every day, sometimes a few times a day. Even foods like jelly and yogurt are difficult and painful to get down sometimes.

What surgery did you have done ?

Can you have a barium swallow?  Is there any fluid in your band right now? Eating for you sounds nightmare++ 

No surgery for me this time in hospital-due to unrelated Autoimmune disease. I have had a bit of surgery in the past and I'm wondering whether I have some adhesions which are causing my problems.   Part of my band fixation looks like a bit of barbed wire! I'm in the process of having my band filled again to find the "spot" -another fill next Monday. In the mean time I've put on 5 kg:angry: so not happy!

The surgeon was umming and ahhing about a barium swallow but decided against it as I had one last November. Mind you, I wasn't having problems eating then. I think he must have been a work experience student ... lol

He told me the fluid in my band is the same as pre surgery, which I think was around 4.9ml, and it was perfect for me.

I noticed part of your band looks like barbed wire. I've read that some ports are attached with hooks. It looks gruesome.

Maybe a few days on fluids until things settle down?  As an experienced bander you've probably tried all the 'normal' stuff.  Only thing i can think of is that something was stuffed up when the tubing was replaced.

• Like 1

The xray doesn't tell you a lot without a barium swallow too.  My band is a bit horizontal and I do have (or did, I hope) a  pouch dilation shown by the barium swallow.  As long as the pouch has normalised again after eight weeks unfilled, nobody cares if the band isn't sitting exactly right so what you're seeing my possibly not be a problem. But you need to know how fluid is moving through. On my swallow you could clearly see a big bulge to the left where the pouch had bulged out.

tt depends on the direction  and plane that it slips whether it looks circular/oval or not.  You really need a concurrent barium swallow to tell you the full story.