Jewel2B

Banded 4 yrs and heavier now.

I was banded in June 2012 and by June 2013 had lost 26kgs.  Life was great!!!

I got the flu or some illness from memory and I couldn't keep any solids or liquids down at all so had some fill taken out. 

Since then I have been able to eat either.... huge amounts of food and never feel full, or I cant eat anything and vomit it up.  Ive had fill, unfill cycling since then.

I have never regained the feeling I had when the band was working well in the first 12 months.

I have had a barium swallow and allegedly the band is fine, according to the fill docs, it is me....

So now I weigh more than when I was originally banded and am starving or vomiting. 

Any idea's what could be wrong?  I don't know what to do from here as I'm being told there is nothing wrong with the band.

• Like 2

Hi jewel, I could have written this myself. Almost the same story.  Was banded April 2012. Managed to lose 53 kgs buy March 2014. Since then I have slowly regained about 10-12 kgs and just don't know where I'm going wrong either. I also have the not full or vomit thing too.  Don't know the answer, just wanted you to know you weren't alone.  :D

• Like 1

OMG I could cry knowing I'm not the only one out there, although I am sorry you are going through this too.

I feel like getting it out and trying to do it on my own now.  I'm too scared to have the sleeve incase it fails but I do want to be 74kgs again!

• Like 2

Yep, sometimes it is a bit easier to know you're not the only one.  A sleeve just isn't an option for me financially, and I'm also scared how much weight I'll put in between getting the band it and the sleeve done.   I don't know about you, but the truth for me is I couldn't do it on my own. 

I don't think I could do it on my own either to be honest, but I do wonder if I'm extra heavy now due to the band stuffing around my eating. 

I really just want to know what is going on with the band.  If it can be fixed or if I should just get it taken out.  I don't have private health insurance anymore either which is a worry....

same here, banded nov 2012, lost 30 including 12 before banding, but have regained about 13 kilo and having similar issues, public paitent  and unsure if the doc will change it to a sleeve anyway. Biggest issue is being so far from my doctor, going back to see him soon but feeling like a failure right now

Well I went back to Doc the other day and we had a good talk.  I am one of those people who is sensitive to the band, however, my own eating patterns are also contributing to my issues eating.

From now on I am concentrating on chewing longer, eating only small bites, resting between each bite etc.

I had .5ml fill and I am going to try really hard to follow the rules correctly now I have had a refresher.  If I am still having issues with eating I am going to have the band removed.

It has been 2 days since I had the fill and I'm still struggling to keep liquids down.  Very frustrating.

Hey jewel I became the queen of vomiting at xmas time.  Didn't matter what I tried nothing stayed down but at night I could eat sorta a smallish meal 1/2 cup or less without throwing up.  I was stuck there for about 3 weeks same thing day after day.  Eventually when I couldn't take it anymore I went back to my doctors and saw the nurse practitioner there.  Her suggestion was to go back strictly to fluids like at the beginning because the stomach around the band was very swollen from all the throwing up.  I did that for 3 days and then went to mushies then back to solids and it worked for me.  Now I still have stuck times when I have no chewed enough and I cant eat in the morning but I have found my place with the band.  If I feel things don't feel quite "right" going down I just switch to fluids for the rest of the day and that normally sorts me back out.  I haven't lost the weight I hoped for but I am still 25kg lighter than when I had the band.  With my history I would have put on 20 by now so I am happy with where I am.  Its a tool still that you have to use correctly so food choices are still a big part of the equation.

So my suggestion to anyone in the sorta same boat is go back totally to fluids.

• Like 2

Hi Jewel, you are me. Try not eating until after 11am or so, I found if I got stuck at breakfast, it set up a cycle for the day. Also, measure strictly half a cup and no more.

• Like 2

Know exactly how you feel! I made it about 2/3 of the way in the first 18 months, losing around 26kg same as you, but has only been up and down since then and four years later, still struggling :( despite trying other things in recent years inc programs, pills, and regular exercise, I feel like my appetite and cravings are too strong to handle. I think perhaps I made the mistake of having the band too tight for most of the time I've had it (around 6.7mls in there for a few years), I got a little out earlier this year and have gained 5kg since then. I worry about experiencing issues with the band requiring surgery like other people have had. A lot of the time I worry I will never be able to reach my ideal weight. I envy those who lose weight with relative ease. I don't intend to give up, but God it is hard.

Me toooooo! I've never been heavier after 7 years banded:o....fill unfill over and over... now I've got nothing in the band but still experiencing Pb-ing...yukko and hungry all the time! What the...???:blink:

100% in the same boat, I knew it wasn't going to be an easy road but it is so hard to get back on track again.

• Like 1

Hi All,

I have just read your posts and wanted to say that I am in the same situation. I would like to share my experiences and would also appreciate any/all feedback & support.

I was banded in Feb 2014 and successfully lost 30kgs over the following 18 months, I even exceeded my goal weight....I was on cloud 9!!

Unfortunately, it did not last.  The combination of not following the rules, bad food choices & lack of motivation meant the weight increased and I was back to the beginning. Although I do suffer from debilitating depression, which doesn't help, I take full responsibility for the bad food choices which led to the weight regain. 

I reached out to the clinic where I had the surgery who pretty much told me that there was nothing more they could do for me. My band was in the 'sweet spot' so having a top-up was not an option. They said that it was up to me and that I had to 'flick the switch' that would get me back on track.  

With a new year came a fresh commitment to myself to lead a healthier & happier life. Its only been a short while but I am back on track now. I realise that its one day at a time and I set realistic goals for myself.  I have started again on the 2 week pre-op VLCD and am replacing 2 meals a day with shakes. I also find accessing this site & reading comments from other members in a similar situation keeps me motivated.

Good luck to you all & me

Band

• Like 1

What a good honest post @Band. !

I have started a thread called "Accountability" in the Sleeve section - you are most welcome to post your post as above, and ongoing progress.  Also there is a thread called "Weigh in Wednesday"  I am posting my progress in that one as well.

Wishing you all the best!

:)

Thanks Denzel...I would be pleased to post my comments in "Accountability"..if only I knew how!!!

So an update from the original post.  Last yr, maybe Oct?  I had all of my fill removed.  I could no longer live starving from not being able to eat to the next day being able to eat a huge meal and still be hungry. 

The docs and I discussed removing all of the fill to try to reset my body as it is super sensitive to the band.

Now I'm 8kgs heavier than when I was banded originally in 2012. The heaviest I have ever been.

I have my first fill scheduled for Monday.  I shouldn't have waited so long but it is what it is.  I'm hoping I can be successful again this time around.

Hey Jewel2B.

Just wondering how you're travelling.

Did you have the full yesterday?

Band

Yes I had 2ml put in and I go back tomorrow for another little fill.  So far no restriction at all but that's ok and to be expected with a very small fill.  I am however eating small portions and practising chewing, putting fork down, slowing my eating down.

How are you going Band?

Edited by Jewel2B

Hi All

I have suffered with band overfill for last 12 or so months. Could hardly eat anything that wasn't mush. Fill removed two weeks ago and slowly building up again now. I didn't loose any weight in over fill time. Actually started to gain weight towards the end because I would drink my calories.

Hoping to get my mojo back