t_elle

Back to Basics!

Well I've had a bit of a bad time with my band in the last year, reflux and excessive PBing you name it.  To top it off I also stopped losing weight and have actually gained weight.

I now seem to have my band in the zone I occasionally get stuck moments but the band is doing it's thing.

About now I've realised the only factor not doing it's thing is me!  So time to get back to basics.

Having been overweight most of my life I know what works for me without the band to get back on track so I'm going to use some of these basics to help get my mind back in the game as well as my body.  I think the mind game is probably about 80% of the battle for me.

First of all I've worked out my BMI, I'm not huge on the BMI scale but to see something tell you that you're back in the Obese zone not just overweight any more seems to give you a kick in the butt.  So I've done this, at the heaviest I've weight in over 2 years - 88kgs I am now obese.  My favourite clothes I absolutely loved wearing no longer fit and I feel unhealthy, tired and pretty much crappy all round.

The kitchen scales and measuring cups have been brought out and there is a total chocolate ban!  Chocolate is my Achilles heel, I have no limit to how much I can eat.... No more giving in to the temptation (watch out world this may not be pretty for a few days!)

But, I need some help!  What other tip can you give me to kick my butt into shape?  I am going to be regularly updating this post because I need to be accountable for my weight, I have to own up to you all and tell you how I'm going.

If anyone wants to join me feel free!

• Like 2

Feel free to kick my butt also

Well if you haven't worked it out already here is a link to a BMI Calculator, http://www.healthdirect.gov.au/bmi-calculator you'll may be like me and hate the answer you get but use that as motivation.

Have a play with it and see what weight number you need to get to decrease your status.  I know people say the BMI Calculator is bad and blah blah but if it's what you can use for motivation then I say go for it.  As we know the tools are limited and the motivation can be somewhat lacking.

Another thing I've done is tried on a dress that I love and can't wear at the moment, as I lose weight I'll keep trying it on and see the progress in real time via this dress.  We could do before and afters in the dresses we choose maybe.

• Like 1

I am back to basics as well and I am focusing on portion size.  I'm only on mushies atm due to a fill but when I can eat solids I am planning on 1/2-1 cup per meal depending on what food it is.

• Like 1

Sounds exactly like my story - I have managed to put on 3 kilos and am getting very very depressed - I need to start getting my butt into gear again - I was floating on air before now I feel like a "lump".  I'm due to go back and hopefully have a fill next week - I feel like I have absolutely NO RESTRICTION at all.

• Like 1

I am back to basics as well - after 2 slipped bands I was sleeved last Wednesday. Thankfully I didn't put all the weight back on but enough to make be in the same boat as you t-Elle clothes aren't fitting etc. So given I am on post op I'm on liquids currently so im going right back to basics really!

on a side note I am obsessed currently with looking at recipes and things. I've just whipped up some slim cookies for my partner for his arvo tea when he gets home and I'm looking forward to cooking him a good meal tonight. I can't tell if im just bored or I am missing food but I'm substituting wanting to eat with feeding him!

Edited by MissA
  • Like 1

Sounds exactly like my story - I have managed to put on 3 kilos and am getting very very depressed - I need to start getting my butt into gear again - I was floating on air before now I feel like a "lump".  I'm due to go back and hopefully have a fill next week - I feel like I have absolutely NO RESTRICTION at all.

Head up, make plans to attack this gain and move forward!  There's a crowd of us forming now so you're not alone!

• Like 1

I am back to basics as well - after 2 slipped bands I was sleeved last Wednesday. Thankfully I didn't put all the weight back on but enough to make be in the same boat as you t-Elle clothes aren't fitting etc. So given I am on post op I'm on liquids currently so im going right back to basics really!

on a side note I am obsessed currently with looking at recipes and things. I've just whipped up some slim cookies for my partner for his arvo tea when he gets home and I'm looking forward to cooking him a good meal tonight. I can't tell if im just bored or I am missing food but I'm substituting wanting to eat with feeding him!

I seemed to get right into cooking when I couldn't eat post surgery.  My son still talks about it!

I need to join the chocolate ban, I haven't put on weight but I sure as hell haven't lost it either. I was doing really well then got really sick and thought, why the hell am I doing this ban if I just get sick (my excuse to eat chocolate again) so I need to join you! 

Tracking my food is the only way I stay on track, my fitness pal is my friend when I am being good. Happy to add anyone as a friend on there so that we can keep each other accountable. 

• Like 1

I hear you also-my jeans that I nearly chucked out because they were too loose are now too tight! Partly trouble with my band but also bad choices when the scales move up.  I'm hoping I get my port fixed soon and get back into green zone.  ATM I can still eat pretty much anything at all and despite the 1ml fill yesterday was still able to eat my dinner with no problems.

• Like 1

My trick to getting back on track is meal prepping and putting everything into these small cup size containers from Kmart for portion control http://www.kmart.com.au/product/pack-of-4-small-plastic-food-storage-containers---250ml/159805 

At $2.25 for 4, my freezer is full of them with soup, casserole, etc. 

• Like 2

I am jumping in too. Although I haven't gained I'm not eating healthy and I don't feel well. I am also going to ban chocolate, I could eat it all day. I'll also be back on fitnesspal soon and I'm going to up my exercise

• Like 1

Ok I was sneaky and jumped on the scales this morning, I felt pretty confident that I'd been doing the right things.  It's amazing how fast my appetite has decreased and no more than a cupful of food is all I can manage now.  Anyway, I've lost a kilo!!  I started at 88.6 on Sunday and am down to 87.6 I know it won't keep falling off this fast but it definitely gave me the boost to keep going.

• Like 6

How is it going everyone?  I just did my one week weigh in and I'm 1.6kgs down.

I've added walking to my calendar and that has really kicked things off.

Portion control is the biggest thing I'm constantly checking how much I'm eating and self control too I caved in to chocolate but have to make the block last as long as possible it's a little challenge for myself.  So far it's lasted nearly a week and only just half gone.

• Like 5

I've lost 3kg in the week I've been home from hospital but I'm still on post op liquids so kinda doesn't count!

hanging for the mushy stage to start Tuesday... Bring on scrambled egg!!! 

• Like 4

i'm finally going down again also-800g since i last weighed myself about 10 days ago.  i have also been walking every day and the last fill has brought me closer to my sweet spot-but not quite.  I'm leaving it (more fills) until I have my port fixed the 5th August and everything is settled again.  Chocolate consumption is taking a hit also! After weighing myself for the last few months and always seeing a gain I would have a piece of choc to console me:P then I would have guilt feelings and think why did I do that?:angry:

• Like 4

I do the same ozchick, chocolate is my weakness. Going to.make some.bliss balls today to have there as a healthy alternative. I had to have 1ml out last week as I was too tight, now I have very little restriction so my weight is like a yo yo at the moment! 3kgs away from my goal and won't budge!!

• Like 1

Stick with us Jo we're with you for moral support to budge those last 3!!

Maybe we can have a walking goal, I once did a team challenge at a workplace to climb Mt Kosciuszko we had to climb the stairs in the fire stairwell until we had essentially climbed the mountain.  We could do something similar with our combined walks, any suggestions of where we can walk to?  Perhaps we can start a new thread and get a few others to join us.

• Like 2

I have a Pebble time which links to Qantas Assure app on iPhone  (also an Android version).  I loaded the app with the promise of free qantas points BUT-(there's always a but!!- you can earn the points but they are locked until you take out a PHI with Qantas.  (Costs about $100 more than my current PHI so thats not happening!) The app still works with daily steps etc and tells you how far you have walked with virtual trophies.  Since I started, I have (apparently) walked the distance from Paris to London over the past few months and I started my step goal 25k steps/week to begin with,  it's now at 50k steps/week but I usually try and do more.  

• Like 2

I would be keen for a steps group. Try and hit a goal for steps within a week. I would also oleopen to a.private Facebook group for those interested in this thread, keep each other motivated and kn track. Share ideas/meal, goals etc, anyone keen

• Like 1

The app on my iphone measures steps but doesn't tell me distance.  My have to download My Fitness Pal I think that did both and I can track what I eat then as well.

Actually just looked again and it does have distance :)

Edited by t_elle
  • Like 2

I find I cant do the "healthy alternative" thing. Anything snacky/sweet I will binge on. I just feel this compulsion to eat it until its gone. So for me, getting back to basics means NO snacks EVER.  Just none.  Even if I allow crackers, I'll overeat those.  I will allow a cappuccino if I'm out and if I'm really going all out, lol, I"ll have two sugars in it. I don't generally sweeten coffee but I do like sugar in a cappuccino.

• Like 1

Confession-I had a fabulous week in Townsville/Magnetic Island and that glass of wine with dinner went down really well.  (Normally never drink at home) A balmy 25 deg each day was so relaxing.  So same weight this week but I did do 75K steps in the week I was away.  Back to the grindstone this week and port repair Friday.

• Like 2

Fixed flipped port today so no more excuses!  He did say I can't access the port for six weeks so I'll just have to be careful about what I put in my mouth and use will power-or is that won't power? 

• Like 3

I found that I got through about five weeks unfilled with no gain - I was able to follow my normal portions/foods with a LOT of willpower but I did it. Like you I then went on holidays and well, with that extra stomach capacity (and appetite, which steadily grew over the time) I too indulged a little in a glass of wine a night and although I tried to be very careful, eating out every single night really does make it hard.  I only had one really big indulgent dinner - but I got down three courses and wine no trouble at all. That was scary.  But I walked and walked and got back only a kg heavier.  And then over the past few weeks another kilo crept on.  Soooo glad to have some fill back. But short term it is definitely possible to keep the weight away.

• Like 4