Jan3152

New and Looking for Advice.

Hi everyone, 

My name is Jan and I am from Melbourne South East. I am 32 years of age and a single parent of very active twin boys. I was always a healthy weight, until I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 21. It was all down hill from there. I had to go down the 5year  fertility pathway to have my twins. I have tried every diet under the sun. I am currently 164kgs and 168cms tall. I have been reading up about Lap Band and felt that it would be the right choice for me as its reversible if any complications happen. Then I found this forum and have been reading that Banding is not as great as I first thought. 

I don't have private health insurance, I am happy to get it and wait the 12 months. Can anyone please recommend a good health fund? And a doctor who I can speak with? 

GP recommended someone in Frankston but I read reviews on the doctor and 85% of people were not happy. 

Really looking forward to hearing from you as I need to do this,  so I can be around for my children. 

Thank you in advance, 

Jan

Hi Jan,

Welcome to the forum.  I live in Melbourne's SE and used Mr Kostas Syrrakos.  He consults primarily from Dandy Valley Private Hospital and operates from there as well as Knox Private Hospital and Peninsula Private Hospital in Frankston and is getting great results!  He's very thorough and quite fussy.  Think long and hard before you decide on your WLS pathway as there really is no easy answer and it will really only be successful if you can commit to your choice.  Everything has it's pro's and cons. 

I had no private health insurance and was lucky enough to be able to fund the op via early Super Payout.  I have been one of the lucky ones with banding.  I followed all the surgeon and dieticians advice to the letter, and have managed to loose most of my excess weight (7kg more and I'll be at goal weight).  I think for me it has been a success as I am dedicated to working with the band and strictly monitor my food intake.  So far I have only had stuck moments if I eat when stressed or forget to chew something.  The dietician I saw was fantastic too - she's located in Berwick, Chadstone and a few other places - so it can take awhile to get an appointment with her.

There is heaps of information on this site and everyone has a different experience to offer.  Don't get daunted and take whatever you feel is appropriate from each one but most of all be honest with yourself and make the best choice for you.  Good luck on your journey and let us know how you get on!

• Like 2

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I live close to Knox Private so this can be my starting point. I am glad you have had great sucess with Banding. I will. Leave it to the doctor to advise on what's the best option. 

• Like 1

Welcome! After 2 slipped lap bands I would suggest a sleeve. Whilst I lost 50kg with my band, having it slip out of place twice and all the complications that go with that I would consider looking into the sleeve instead.

• Like 2

Hi everyone, 

My name is Jan and I am from Melbourne South East. I am 32 years of age and a single parent of very active twin boys. I was always a healthy weight, until I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 21. It was all down hill from there. I had to go down the 5year  fertility pathway to have my twins. I have tried every diet under the sun. I am currently 164kgs and 168cms tall. I have been reading up about Lap Band and felt that it would be the right choice for me as its reversible if any complications happen. Then I found this forum and have been reading that Banding is not as great as I first thought. 

I don't have private health insurance, I am happy to get it and wait the 12 months. Can anyone please recommend a good health fund? And a doctor who I can speak with? 

GP recommended someone in Frankston but I read reviews on the doctor and 85% of people were not happy. 

Really looking forward to hearing from you as I need to do this,  so I can be around for my children. 

Thank you in advance, 

Jan

My advice? sleeve - no mucking about with fills, not having to worry about the possibility of slips, erosion, leaks, flipped ports and not having food get stuck because you forget to chew a billion times before swallowing/you sneezed an hour beforehand/you're stressed/not stressed/ you forgot to gob up the jellyfish, etc, etc, etc. No going back and forth trying to get the right amount of fill and having slower weight loss results, which are not necessarily as successful over the long term.

You might also want to research/consider gastric bypass as it is becoming more and more common in Australia.

There are a few great doctors in Melbourne area - Prof O'Brien is one of the pioneers of WLS in Australia. here are a few others whose names I cannot recall so maybe ask in the VIC section?

• Like 2