Chantelle1606

DR Tsang - DHS approval

Hi guys, first timer here and not sure if I'm doing the right thing lol!! 

For over a year now, I have been up and down about whether or not I will be getting the gastric sleeve surgery. I have finally decided I will be getting the sleeve done and have my appointment booked in for Wednesday 10.08 in Sydney with dr tsang. 

I have confirmed that I won't be able to get the full funding from my super, because I need to leave about 5K in my super account in order to keep my account open. If I apply for my super, plus the amount I will get taxed it will equal to about 12k therefore I will need to pay for the rest. 

I I have a personal loan through the bank, and will be using this amount to pay the difference. I was wondering what documents you have to supply for the release of early super? I'm worried they're going to tell me to just increase my personal loan instead of letting me get my super, which I can't do because I got the loan to cover the difference only and consolidate other debts. I currently live out of home and have a car loan as well, so virtually I have no savings, I am relying on my super. 

I was was wondering if anyone could give me any information about this, and about the DHS as I am just worried I doing get my money. Apparently, if they give you a certain amount they will ask for proof that you can cover the difference for the surgery which I can do. Has anyone done this? 

Im so stressed already and worried :( any information would help me 

thank you so much 

Hi there Jellybelly, 

thanks for your response. 

I have got the personal loan approved, half was to pay off my credit card and half was to put away for the difference I would need for the surgery. So if they need proof of me having the funds I do have them. 

I was looking at the DHS forms, apparently you don't need to tell them what the loan was for, you just need to put down how much it was for and how much the repayments are. I've seen other threads where people could not get the full amount from their super, or lost some of the money to tax and they had to prove to the DHS they had the funds to cover the gap, in my case it will be about 4K which is what I have. 

What do you think? 

I think you'd be ok, as the amount you have isn't enough to cover the cost you'd be taking from your super. If you had additional funds that would be enough to pay for the hospital without taking from super you'd have to explain why you couldn't use that money and I believe they're pretty strict. 

If you have some extra that you're not wanting to use for the surgery, like the amount to pay off your CC I'd do all of that before the application so you only have visible funds of whats available. I had savings that was for another specific purpose so made sure not to have those available when I needed to provide my bank statements. 

Make sure you take the super forms to your appointment your surgeon can fill them out, and provide a letter of support as well. As long as you leave yourself enough time you'll be fine! 

Thanks for your reply Jellybelly! I have already paid off my credit card, so the amount sitting in my account is the gap to cover the surgery. If I show them print screens, they will be able to see no other money in there apart from my wages (which go to bills anyway) and the amount I'll be using to cover the gap. 

Ive printed out all of the forms I need so I can take them to my consultation for the surgeon to help me, once they're filled out I will get my identification sighted by a jp and pretty much send the forms off straight away. I'm looking to book in October and know it can take up to 6 weeks so I want everything to be done and organised as soon as possible :) 

im hoping it all works out, I will be devastated if I don't get approved. 

Hi, Your surgeon may give you some instructions on how to complete the application on the mygov website (Mine gave me a printed off step by step guide on how to do it)

It was pretty easy - once I had the forms completed from my GP and surgeon, I completed the early release of super application on the mygov website. 

The letter for the approval was in my mygov inbox within a week. I was not approved for the entire amount (it was the total cost, minus the amount of money I had in my savings account). I sent the form, and my certified ID to my super fund, and I had the funds within 2 weeks. 

Check with your superfund as for the rules regarding how much can be taken out. One of my co workers could not get money out, as they would not allow them to withdraw more than 70% of the total they had in the fund.