Sign in to follow this  
Specialized29er

5 years same band and port, who else?

Just wondering is there are other Bandits that are long timers with the original band and port and reaching your goal weight :D.

I was just reading some posts where folks have had nothing but a smooth journey :(. My surgeon made it sound like we'd have a straightforward life after the band but I've had to adjust to the bandit's life and sure once in awhile I wish it was gone but  I see that I have 2 choices, No actually I only have one choice. 

I'm 5 years and 4 months down the track, same band and port and not a single problem :).  How's this a year ago I did a somersault over the mountain bikes handlebar, rolled down a 40 foot embankment and landed heavily on my stomach and that didn't even dislodge me port, I only went to the doctor for the sore tailbone and cracked ribs :wacko: and nothing band related.

Am I just one of the very lucky or are there others out there?

Edited by Specialized29er
Bad speelling
  • Like 2

12 years now.  This year was a little rocky, I think I've been overfilled for a long time and I started having severe chest pain - found out I developed a stretched pouch and had to be unfilled for a while, but its all good again now.

What I will say though is that losing weight is nigh on impossible now I'm nearly 50 and maintaining it is quite difficult - despite being a regular exerciser, my body is really wanting to relax into that middle age spread.  My band IS working, but its by now means easy or automatic like it once was.  I have over the years, despite being a compliant bandster, learned to eat around it and my body has definitely adapted to strongly want high calorie, high fat foods because it knows that the intake will be small. Its just something that happens. In that way, I think the band has definitely led to a tendency towards a WORSE diet, not a better one.  I fight that constantly because I just don't fancy fruit, salad etc because I subconsciously know its hard to eat and not that pleasant. 

That said, although I'm hard on myself and very critical, people cant believe I'm 49 - I may not have Elle McPherson's body and I may think I'm still 25 and that I look disgusting, but in reality, I probably DO look great for a middle aged woman. I've got a flat stomach and decent legs, I can wear most things that I want apart from clingy tube dresses and the like, and if I don't turn heads on the beach, well, I guess I can survive that.  I've  also  gained  probably 8 or 9kg over the past decade since getting to a very low goal weight no matter how I've tried not to.  However, I'm still in the healthy weight range and in reality, probably look younger for a bit of extra fat around the face.  Its just that I'm a little disappointed I guess that the flabby bat wings and loose thighs are still happening to me - like they do to all women as they age - in my imagination a band was going to give me a perfect body forever, lol.

Edited by jachut
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hello - banded 2007 at 155 kg, currently (today went for chat with my barriatric nurse) 118.2 kg, I think the lowest I got to was about 103 kg.

It has been the best thing I've done for my health and like you I have had no major dramas.  What I find weird though is the quirkiness of the band.  One day I can eat something and next day I can't eat that same food for some reason it gets stuck?  That is my only complaint; the inconsistency of what I can eat.  Is this something you've encountered? Best feeling is fitting in an aeroplane seat; how good is that!

I know you've likely heard it before but good on you mate!  Cheers Band007

Banded June 2009. Had everything replaced due to leak in October that same year. Besides that I think ive been very lucky with my band. I have been playing a full contact, high impact sport for 6 years now and not had any injury to my band or port. Ive had broken ribs, fractured tailbone, broken ankle and leg, dislocated jaw plus numorous other minor injuries but nothing lapband related. I had kidney stones a couple years ago and when the surgeon shattered one of them to remove out my kidney, as it was huge, he knicked the tubing from band to port. I did have the tubing and port replaced 2 months later but not my band. I even had a stent inserted into my kidney due to the damage from the kidney stone. I got hit so hard playing my sport while i had the stent in that it knocked the stent out of my kidney and down into my bladder but my band and port were fine lol. I may just be lucky though ;-D

• Like 1

Hey lovely people...I've had the band in for 7 years and haven't had any problems mechanically. I have however, been through hell and back with chronic illness and marriage breakdown, consequently I have put all the weight back on and am now wondering if I can get it together to make it work again or am I better suited to the sleeve. BTW my portfolio sight has always been sore.???

Hey fellow bandits...I was banded in 2008 and as of this morning was 2.2kg heavier than my post band weight loss of 25kg. Even tho I whinge and bitch I really am luckynow that I look back at it all. I have my swings and roundabout fluctuations but overall I have to say that I am pretty happy.

I haven't had any major issues with the band itself apart from stuffing my hole too much and having PBs oh and eating too many "sliders" (damn you potato chips lol)

I also have Hashimoto's Disease so am starting a new regime tomorrow to try and make myself feel better, fingers crossed the upside will be the loss of that 2.2kg, right before my cruise next week :)