Em85

Private health cover and excess skin removal

hey everyone. I have lost 70 kg in the past 3 years and as a result I have a lot of excess skin.  I currently have a lower level of private health which covers the band but I'm thinking of upgrading my cover to include the reconstructive/cosmetic surgery needed for the excess skin removal. 

Do do I need both top hospital and top extras or is just top hospital enough ? 

Also so recommendations for surgeons in Sydney would be great. I need full body lift ( tummy, back, buttocks and thighs) arms and breasts. 

• Like 1

You'll find that unless the loss skin is giving you health problems and unless you have a letter from a surgeon stating that you need the surgery because of this condition then being able to claim won't be possible, I know WTF :o. Just after the changes to the Medicare number last year I enquired about the tucks with my health insurance provider and was told they no longer support everyday tucks and nor do Medicare. There is a Medicare number for the tucks but like I said only if the tuck is for a medical condition. Except for the floppiness when cycling and for it hanging out from under my shirt I don't have any medical conditions so mine will be paid in full from my savings. The surgeon who fitted my band is now doing the tucks to so maybe, just maybe you never know.

My excess skin isn't causing me any physical medical problems except for a rash from my apron in summer when it's really hot and I get sweaty.  I just get really down and hate the way I look  I only like the look of certain parts of my body, the rest I can't stand to look at even though my husband tells me I look fine. 

My band Dr does tummy tucks too at a discounted rate for his band patients but I feel I need a full body lift not just a tummy tuck. I am yet to speak to anyone as I want to get my health fund sorted out first. :)

Em, best to see the surgeon first and see if you're eligible to even use your health insurance. I'm like you except for the rash during summer my loose skin causes me no issues but hey you have me thinking, they say a health condition well how about a mental health condition I'm sure I could swing that condition :wacko: when the time comes.

I had a tummy tuck two years ago and a bilateral breast reduction last week, both on standard level of cover with Medibank Private.  TT was classed as "reconstructive post excessive weight loss".  With the Medicare rule changes for TT, you'll need to meet the criteria.  I got mine before things changed.

Amira Sanki is the go-to surgeon in Sydney.

Edited by Nessa1977
  • Like 1

Thanks. I definitely meet the bmi requirement. I have gone from a bmi of 55 down to 30 so all sorted there. 

Thanks for the dr recommendation , I will look them up