Em85

Help needed. Stitch like pain near port for 2 weeks now

I need some advice/help. I have had a stitch like pain in my left side near my port for nearly 2 weeks now. I have been to my gp and had 2 ultrasounds and blood tests and so far everything has come up clear.  I still have to wait for 1 lot of results. It if they come back clear (as I suspect they will) my next step is to contact my band dr and see if he can give me any answers. 

I am a little worried it could be a slip or torn muscle at my port but the stitch like pain is my only symptom.

Has anyone else had this and what was the cause ? 

I have been banded for 3 yrs now and have lost 79 kg. Gone from having a bmi of 55 down to a bmi of 28

Edited by Em85
  • Like 2

Hi Em85

I had a similar pain to this a few times. Most of the time it was after i had a rather nasty vomiting  episode (gastro, band to tight). It felt like a slicing sharp pain right where my port is. Sometimes felt like the port was going to rip out of my stomach. My surgeon did say it could be a minor tear near the port. It usually cleared itself after a few weeks. 

This has happened a few times over the last few years

Only one time it was due to a stomach lining  infection, but that pain was slightly different.

My band has now slipped and i am up for revision. But it wasnt port pain that alerted me to the slip, it was constant reflux  and choking at night.

Hope everything goes well for you. 

I had that pain at the port site - it was adhesions and scarring as well as a hernia caused by the port being attached to my abdominal wall.

Sometimes a heat pack on the area helped ease the pain, sometimes I'd be doubled over in pain...(for me) the pain only ceased after I had the lap band removed and once the adhesions were severed and the hernia that had developed was repaired as part of my tummy tuck this year.

Sometimes it could be the port trying to flip or other issues, so best to follow up with your lap band clinic.

I had something very similar - only hurt when I moved. All tests negative. GP surmised it was scar tissue rubbing on the nerve, or that the nerve had 'come through' the muscle and every time the muscle was used, the nerve was firing. Could barely walk without pain! After about 8 weeks it disappeared on it's own. I saw my surgeon and port was fine, although he wanted to take my band out regardless... anyway that's another issue.

• Like 1

I occasionally wake up due to vomiting in my sleep but my surgeon has assured me that it's not a slip or reflux. 

My ultrasounds have all come back clear so have my bloods. 

I do a lot of lifting at work so I think I have just pulled a muscle that my port it attached to and that's why it hurts so much and it taking longer to go away. If it still hurts when my surgeon is in town next I will go see him and see what he says. 

Hi em85.

If you have any vomiting in your sleep id expect ur surgeon to be a little more concerned, its very dangerous. It can lead to lung infections, asphyxiation and if left to long can cause a acid burn that can turn into cancer. I know these are all unlikely and rare but please make sure ur sergeon is taking the right action to make sure your ok.

Hopefully the port pain will improve over time if it is muscle related :)

• Like 1

I have had reflux tests and a gastroscopy (last yr) and both came back negative. No slip or blockage or any problems at all. 

I will go see him when he is in town next which won't be until after Xmas.