I was sleeved 23 months ago (i.e. nearly two years ago).
Admittedly, I was very sick last year with a gut infection (Campylobacter), and dropped down to a BMI of 18.5, and 18% body fat.

O.K; so here I am going to be honest and accountable. 

Since that gut infection has been treated, my weight has gradually increased ... particularly in the last couple of months...
Yes.  Alcohol.  
Low-carb beer ...
Gin and diet tonic (so helpful for getting me through doing housework!!).

I, probably like most folk, have had some carb-binges over the last month.
A couple of days of eating nothing but "Grainwave" chips ...
And an outstanding 2.25 kg of (Chinese) dumplings in the last two days.
I have had horrendous health/energy problems last year, and haven't been active (chronic ME/CFIDS + Fibromyalgia etc. and I had really deteriorated health-wise) 
But this last week there has been an improvement.

Today I "sucked it up" and weighed myself (after going to the loo, on an empty stomach etc).
I have managed (!) to put on 3.13 kg in less than four weeks.
Body fat increase of 3.6% ... 
And I can feel it.
My arms feel like sausages bursting out of their skins, and my thighs are rubbing.
My boobs are bursting out of my bra.

I have jumped up a couple of clothing sizes.
I had got down to a size 4/6 (I am only 5" tall - about 153 cm), and am now busting out of size 8.

So.
This is it.
I have started this new thread, called "Accountability".
1.  I am going to be more diligent to weigh myself more frequently.
2.  Bye-bye low carb beer.
3.  Move more.
4.  Update my details and progress.
5.  Get to see dentist to have sensitive teeth treated ...  this has been preventing me from "20, 20, 20".

Numerologically, for me this is a "power year".
So it is up to me to make the most of it.

• Like 6

Well done you for recognizing this and putting the brakes on early.... I wish I had been as in control.

2016 was a tough year for me emotionally and I have regained all my weight, so I too need to be accountable, and like you have done here make a list of what has led me off track. Thanks for posting :D

• Like 4

Well done you for recognizing this and putting the brakes on early.... I wish I had been as in control.

2016 was a tough year for me emotionally and I have regained all my weight, so I too need to be accountable, and like you have done here make a list of what has led me off track. Thanks for posting :D

Terribly disappointing and demoralising, isn't it, to put weight back on. Not to mention incredibly depressing :(

Good on you, too, @leya22, for being accountable and "sucking it up".

I have another item to add to my list:  6. No more late evening nibbling on cheese.

So many people had a crap year last year.  The only thing that I can put it down to was numerologically it was a 9 year, which is a restless/unsettled year.

I'm forming a new habit: 7.  I am also starting the day with a protein shake + psyllium + flaxseed + "Vital Greens" (the last I find hideous, hence the taste is partly disguised by the protein powder), and then having my multi-vitamin - which I hadn't been taking.

So, I am looking forward to a much improved year for me - and for everyone.

• Like 5

I got down to 85kg and was 87kg before I went on a two week holiday to the States where I drank about six pints of beer a day, not to mention the fatty food. I did excercise while I was away though.

I'm not weighing myself today (I got home today).

I'm going back on Optifast for a few days to rid myself of the fluid and then I'll hop on the scales and see what damage I have done.

truthfully, I'm Ok at 90, but would much, much prefer to be 87kg.

Looks like some hard work coming my way over the next few weeks.

For every bit of pleasure we allow ourselves there's pain attached too.

• Like 4

I gained 11 kgs in 6 months for a variety of reasons/excuses:
Taking Lyrica (I am being weaned off it at the moment and have notced that I seem to be passing the fluid that my body has been hanging on to)

Developing Hashimoto's following plastic surgery

I got into some pretty unhelpful habits such as grazing, enjoying chocolates and biscuits regularly and often, not measuring out my meals or using my portion plate - portion sizes have increased, not being vigilant about my dietary requirements (eating loads of gluten, sodium, lactose - all of which I need to avoid due to medically diagnosed gut issues), buying meals, 'carbing up' at meals (eating a higher proportion of carbs at meal times, such as spag bol, rather than just the bol - that sort of thing), eating cheese and crackers as soon as I get home from work. Not letting my sleeve empty and not allowing myself to feel that 'hungry' feeling, constantly topping my sleeve up to the brim!

I hear you on the dumplings and the grainwaves! must be the kiwi in us!

A terrible thing happened just before Christmas - I discovered that Aldi sell NZ Mallowpuffs! (they call them 'Clouds')...4 packets in 2 weeks have been consumed mainly by me.

• Like 7

I drank about six pints of beer a day.

I'm not weighing myself today (I got home today).

No 1.  "I drank about six pints of beer a day." - That is truely impressive!  (I bet you enjoyed and rejoiced in every cool, thirst quenching drop!  And so you should.  Holidays are holidays, not meant to be miserable to you and everyone else - "I can't eat this, I can't eat that".

You did it, you enjoyed it, and now you (too) have "sucked it up, and owned it. You are now "paying the price" - Optifast!

No 2:  "I'm not weighing myself today (I got home today)."  Please weigh yourself tomorrow - Thursday am.  That will then give you a new base line, and brings you into being accountable - may has well know where you are before you (restart) Optifast, hmmm?

All the best,

:) 

• Like 3

I gained 11 kgs in 6 months for a variety of reasons/excuses:
Taking Lyrica (I am being weaned off it at the moment and have notced that I seem to be passing the fluid that my body has been hanging on to)

Developing Hashimoto's following plastic surgery

I got into some pretty unhelpful habits such as grazing, enjoying chocolates and biscuits regularly and often, not measuring out my meals or using my portion plate - portion sizes have increased, not being vigilant about my dietary requirements (eating loads of gluten, sodium, lactose - all of which I need to avoid due to medically diagnosed gut issues), buying meals, 'carbing up' at meals (eating a higher proportion of carbs at meal times, such as spag bol, rather than just the bol - that sort of thing), eating cheese and crackers as soon as I get home from work. Not letting my sleeve empty and not allowing myself to feel that 'hungry' feeling, constantly topping my sleeve up to the brim!

I hear you on the dumplings and the grainwaves! must be the kiwi in us!

A terrible thing happened just before Christmas - I discovered that Aldi sell NZ Mallowpuffs! (they call them 'Clouds')...4 packets in 2 weeks have been consumed mainly by me.

Ferkin Lyrica.

I had a massive major ME/CFIDS + Fibromyalgia relapse from March last year onwards , combined with an adverse drug reaction to Lyrica and exacerbation of vestibular disease,  spent three months in bed. 

It has only been this last week that I get up in the morning, don't feel totally hideous, and don't have to lie down on bed 1 1/2 hours later with my legs elevated.

Aww, developing Hashimoto's following plastic surgery  :(  Bum.  I think that those of us with stoopid conditions such as ME/CFIDS + Fibromyalgia , along with ageing, would have a higher risk of developing (other) poxy auto-immune conditions (I am p-ANCA MPO positive - what with being so sick last year and developing things such as increasingly sore joints and night time sweats, thought that I was finally symptomatic)...

Developing sneaky nasty little habits.    OK - you know what you have done, and I am sure that you have strategies to stop those behaviours.  Write these unwanted behaviours  down!  Then come up with strategies to overcome them.  Write them down!  Own them!   :)

Nommy nom nom dumplings ... "Grainwaves"...  OK, for the first I am trying to source konjac/glucommanan flour for doing the "pastry", the second I shall not buy.  I had my treat at Christmas of "Grainwaves", and now I am happy to leave them  :)

Phew - I seem to have lost my sweet tooth (I always prefer savoury anyway) - just as well, as I have an ALDI within a good walking distance from me!  My last purchase from there were their squirty battery operated automated insect repellants and refills, some Christmas stuff e.g. curling ribbon and bows, and a packet of almonds and pistachio nuts!

So folks, once folk come on board with this, shall we do a personal  "Accountability" post every week for support and accountability??  Updating how we are going?

• Like 1

I think most of us are guilty of the holiday binges :) And you know what? It's what everyone without WLS does too. Just like them we have to get back on track and potentially work harder for a short term to get back on track. Good on you all.

Me? I jumped on the scales last week and have put on a few kg's, but I know at least 1-2 of it is fluid retention. I've just spent the last few days trying to be extra vigilant and get back into my better eating habits, and making sure I get my exercise in properly. It'll come back down. I feel confident the retention is dissipating and I'll be back to normal in no time. Will jump back on the scales in the next couple of days to make sure it's shifting.

btw - so jealous of all of you who lose your sweet tooth. Mine will be with me till sugar rots it out of my head :P

• Like 2

No 1.  "I drank about six pints of beer a day." - That is truely impressive!  (I bet you enjoyed and rejoiced in every cool, thirst quenching drop!  And so you should.  Holidays are holidays, not meant to be miserable to you and everyone else - "I can't eat this, I can't eat that".

You did it, you enjoyed it, and now you (too) have "sucked it up, and owned it. You are now "paying the price" - Optifast!

No 2:  "I'm not weighing myself today (I got home today)."  Please weigh yourself tomorrow - Thursday am.  That will then give you a new base line, and brings you into being accountable - may has well know where you are before you (restart) Optifast, hmmm?

All the best,

:) 

If I weighed myself this morning, it would destroy me. I'm fragile psychologically with all of this. 

It will be fluid, so I'd rather get a good indication of the fat I will probably have to lose after a week of being good. I expect it to only be a few kilos but if I jumped on the scales this morning, I'd be seriously screwed up until next time.

• Like 4

Wow Denzel, thanks for writing such an honest post in the spirit of being accountable, and to everyone else for sharing your challenges too!

I pretty much had a 'walk in the park' with this weight loss journey for around 18 months, but I've noticed that I've hit a stall now and I need to get focused.  I haven't hit my goal weight yet and with only 4 months to go until my 2 year surgiversary (which as we know is a common time for weight regain) I decided that I was going to take action.  Add to that that at my last appointment with my surgeon he noted that my protein levels were low (one of the 'complications' associated with gastric bypass surgery), and I am starting to feel a bit nervous about what might happen if I don't start to focus a bit more on both my weight and my health in terms of long term nutrition.

My surgeon referred me back to a dietitian, it was really the best thing he could have done as it's given me focus for the short term and the long term.  I started a ketogenic way of eating on 01.01.17 and was expecting the dietitian to tell me to up the carbs etc. but it turns out she's a low carb dietician (and actual scientist) and loves the ketogenic approach, though is a bit more moderate about fat (particularly saturated fat) than the average keto enthusiast.  She supports my goal of losing 8 kilos by May and has given me lots of tips both for the short term and to ensure my good health in the long term.  I'm feeling pretty good, but of course there's part of me that is beating myself up for wasting some of my honeymoon period and not making some of the changes I should have by now (including being more focused on protein intake), but onwards and upwards!

I've also joined the gym recently, and am trying to focus on clean eating, stopping when satiated (instead of pushing through), drinking lots of water and ensuring I'm taking all the recommended supplements (including probiotics). 

So yes, accountability, let's drink (a lovely glass of sparkling water) to that!

• Like 2

OK so I took the plunge this morning and the scales say I am pretty much the same as before I left for holidays (give or take 100gm or so).

• Like 3

well done mate! I'm still over but coming down slowly

OK so I took the plunge this morning and the scales say I am pretty much the same as before I left for holidays (give or take 100gm or so).

Good on you @ilikewinter!  Great way to start the year :) 

@Lily-Belle   Hi!  Thank you for your post :) 

Fantastic your dietitian is a low carb promoter!

My friend, 2 years post sleeve this month, also has low protein levels.  She's had a rough ride, with hideous reflux, and has undergone stretching of her sphincter a couple of times, and botox to it to no avail.  She has problems eating sufficiently, 

I have joined the Wednesday Weigh In thread.

Yes, I am still in healthy weight range, but I wanted to lose some weight to get back to my "happy weight" for me.

So, I have dropped 1.67 kg in 9 days.  Onwards and downwards!  :) 

• Like 1

well done mate! I'm still over but coming down slowly

You've earned a kilo or two mate.

6 pints a day???

I wouldn't have thought it'd fit in?

• Like 1

6 pints a day???

I wouldn't have thought it'd fit in?

Have never had trouble with fluids post-sleeve. Drink very easily. Can't skoll, but then I don't want to either. I have a bottomless pit for fluids mainly although heavily carbonated drinks, I can't gulp down.

I'm in Monday for my turn, 

I'm haven't really been concerned about the food intake side of things, my main stress over this last year has been not being able to quench my thirst, I'd currently drink 2-3lt of water a day and have been worried I was going to spend the rest of my life thirsty lol

Oh and I love a beer ;)

Are most Sleevers the same when it comes to liquids ????

I'm in Monday for my turn, 

I'm haven't really been concerned about the food intake side of things, my main stress over this last year has been not being able to quench my thirst, I'd currently drink 2-3lt of water a day and have been worried I was going to spend the rest of my life thirsty lol

Oh and I love a beer ;)

Are most Sleevers the same when it comes to liquids ????

I was drinking 3 litres of water a day easily and then some. Post sleeve, 1.5 litres is enough and I also excercise heavily. I think when we are bigger, our bodies tend to crave water. Might be type 2 diabetes or something?

I also loved a beer. Still do. Just don't need as many of them these days. One thing I have noticed post sleeve, is that I can only have two or three beers max when sitting at home whereas if I am out i can drink until the cows come home. Not sure why. it's a good thing as I was drinking heavily by myself at home a lot pre-sleeve.

You'll still be able to enjoy a beer. it just won;t be a massive priority like it is now. At least that's the way I have found it.

That sounds good,

I was hoping to still be able to enjoy a few social beers down the local footy on a Satdy arvo with the boys,

Without it turning into a 14 hour bender like it tended to do from time to time lol

How long did you wait before have a beer post surgury?

Thanks for the info & reassurance mate.

That sounds good,

I was hoping to still be able to enjoy a few social beers down the local footy on a Satdy arvo with the boys,

Without it turning into a 14 hour bender like it tended to do from time to time lol

How long did you wait before have a beer post surgury?

Thanks for the info & reassurance mate.

You'll still be able to have a beer no problems. Many report problems with carbonated drinks post-sleeve though, but I didn't with beer. It's much less carbonated than soft drink.

I had my first beer 4 months after surgery. Went to the footy in Adelaide with some mates. Was absolutely off my tits after two and then had to stop had then a few vodka and sodas after the game.

Feel free to PM me anytime if you have any questions or anything really. There aren't many men on this forum, so I may be able to help from a bloke's perspective although everyone on here is super helpful.

Edited by ilikewinter
  • Like 1

I have found it difficult to quench my thirst, water is great, just doesn't have the same hit as it once did haha.

I found the making a sunrise (without the alcohol ATM) was amazing. Orange juice and lemonade alone just added that little bit of satisfaction.

I have found it difficult to quench my thirst, water is great, just doesn't have the same hit as it once did haha.

I found the making a sunrise (without the alcohol ATM) was amazing. Orange juice and lemonade alone just added that little bit of satisfaction.

Thank you for that - sounds lovely!

Unfortunately, I prefer not to drink sugar (oj and/or lemonade) as I am a low-carb, no sugar freak lol! 

Chilled H2O works for me, along with same with added "no added sugar"/"diet" etc lemon cordial.  Or with lemon, or orange slices, in one of those fruit infuser bottles...

But I do love a diet Tonic and Gordons Gin lol!  

• Like 1

Oh yes, if it's chilled or i just have a cup of ice that helps lol.

Yes, sugar is a killer. It is a sometime treat, haha. 

I purchased this clear/flavourless protein powder and tried to mix this with a slice of Lemon and lime. It was revolting to say the least haha

How does everyone manage to get their protein in? Trying to finish an entire shake is a bit overwhelming as it goes funny if sitting around for a while.

• Like 1