jdiaz1707

Homemade pasta sauce recipe for pre-op Opti stage?

Hi everyone!

im almost a week in to my optifast stage pre op and am trying to add some variety.. I bought one of those machines to make zucchini pasta but was wondering if anyone had any good recipes to make a home made pasta type sauce to go with it? 

Ive tried on my own and although it wasn't terrible - I'm no chef! 

Thanks in advance and hope everyone is doing well!

Jo xx

hey Jo,

My standard recipe for napoletana pasta sauce (nothing specific to do with weight loss - this is a base pasta sauce to build on or enjoy on its own):

Ingredients

1 x red or brown onion, diced

2 cloves off garlic, finely diced

Italian herbs (find them in the spices section of your supermarket)

1 x can diced or crushed tomatoes

1 x bottle Passatta

Salt & Pepper

Fresh basil

1 x bayleaf

1 carton vegetable stock

Red wine

Method:

Fry onion and garlic on medium heat until softened, add tomatoes and cook for a minute or two. Add a good splash of red wine and allow that to cook off for a minute or so. Add a good amount of herbs (say between a tsp and a tablespoon depending how much you like) and a good pinch of salt and some pepper. Cook for a couple of minutes. Add passatta, cook for a couple of minutes, add a cup or so of vegetable stock, throw in a handful of basil (whole on the stems) and a bayleaf. Bring it to the boil, reduce and simmer with the lid on. Let it cook, stirring regularly. The longer you cook a pasta sauce the better, but you should keep adding water if needed to ensure it stays at the consistency you want. For a plain sauce if I'm in a hurry I will only need to give it 15-20 mins, if I'm in no rush, I like to cook it for about an hour or so. The amount of sauce it makes at this volume is great, and you can freeze it in portions.

• Like 2