Sign in to follow this  
carly0898

Ladies that started at 150kg?

Hi There,

After reading a few things today about people not loosing weight etc, I read that people that start at 150 + kgs don't tend to get past the 100kg mark.

I had amazing weight loss with the lap band (I was about 115kg when I had the band done and got down to 73kg) now I have ballooned into a hump back whale and will be starting my new weight loss journey at 150kg and hoping to get back into the 70's (I know huge goal to start with...)

So my question is... are there any ladies here that have started at 150 and been able to get past the 100kg's?

• Like 1

Ohhhhh I'd like to know too! My figures are almost identical to yours banded at 115kg, now getting rivision but balloned to 140kg. 

• Like 1

i started at 146 and am currently at about 83 fluctuates but am still losing slowly 2 years out.

• Like 5

I started at 135kg and am comfortably sitting in the mid 80s where I would like to stay.

• Like 2

I started more than 150kg. At my lowest I got to about 59kg which was ridicolous as I looked sick. I had to put on weight so I am now around 75kg, which i am absolutely happy with. I have about 5kg of excess skin. Ive been this weight for about 2 years. I work out alot and started toning more about September last year. Even though my fat to lean muscle ratio is great i havent managed to put on any weight with the extra muscle mass. My surgeon said that I would sit comfortably around 75kg when I started my journey. I thought he was crazy but turns out he was right. Mind you I wouldn't have settled personally for just under 100kg so I was determined to get way under

• Like 3

I started more than 150kg. At my lowest I got to about 59kg which was ridicolous as I looked sick. I had to put on weight so I am now around 75kg, which i am absolutely happy with. I have about 5kg of excess skin. Ive been this weight for about 2 years. I work out alot and started toning more about September last year. Even though my fat to lean muscle ratio is great i havent managed to put on any weight with the extra muscle mass. My surgeon said that I would sit comfortably around 75kg when I started my journey. I thought he was crazy but turns out he was right. Mind you I wouldn't have settled personally for just under 100kg so I was determined to get way under

I hear ya. I got down to 72kg when my daughter was born 16 years ago and people were asking me if I had cancer or AIDS. No joke. 

It's weird how people feel it's OK to comment when you are underweight without any thought process.

• Like 2

OMG!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

Your stories have made be feel SOOOOOOOOOOOO much better, I sent off an email yesterday to my surgeon with my concerns about not being able to get to my goal weight (75kg) and only getting stuck at 100kg his response was "you will not get to your goal weight you will go from 150 to 100kg" 

It really made me feel awful - I spoke to my mum this morning about it (we have the same surgeon) and we both agreed that he just likes to give worst case scenario answers.

I fully intend on working my butt off after the surgery because I stuffed up with the band and I don't want to get back here - I used to be such a "beautiful butterfly" and now i am a recluse because I don't want anyone to see me and see that i failed 

Hi Carly,  thanks for sharing your story and good luck with your journey.  Just a little food for thought - even if you plateau at 100kg it's still 50kg healthier than your current weight.  I hope that your motivation gets you across the line though.  I truly believe that anything is possible if you go for it.

• Like 3

I think that when they the surgeons talk about projected weight loss, they are talking about having an expectation of people reaching 60-80% of their EXCESS weight, ie 60-80% of how many kgs you are over a BMI of 24.9

OK, I'll use myself as an example (I won't use my heaviest weight, as I wasn't that when I had the gastric sleeve)

I was 74 kg pre-op, my BMI was 32.03, for me to have a BMI of 24.9 my weight would be 58.6 kg.  The difference between 74 and 58.6 is 15.4kg. So the projected weight loss for me  ranged between 605 x 15.4 = 9.24 kg and 80% of 15.4 = 12.32kg, 

However, my dietitian set different goal for me.  She goes on your height in cm (me = 153.5) - 100, to give me a goal of 53 kg +/- 3 kg.

I hope that this clarifies - leaving it up to you folk to do the maths on your own personal figures!

All the best!

:) 

• Like 1

Hi Newme - yes that is true and I know I feel much better and be super happy with loosing 50kg and yes I will definitely keep myself moving to reach my goal weight - plus i have you amazing people to keep me honest :) 

Thanks Denzel I will give that a go - I did read somewhere about the excess weight % 

• Like 1

Hi carly0898, how are you going? I started at 149kg, and I wanted to get to 90kg, then 75kg. My surgeon said the 90kg was doable, but it wasn't likely I would reach 75kg. I hit 75kg 9 months after my sleeve. My lowest weight was 60kg, but I've mostly maintained in the mid 60s. It's possible to do it....

• Like 4

Hi Carly

i think it's doable I started at 144 and have lost 32 I feel I still have heaps more left in me at least another 20-25kgs. My dietician said I should get to 80kg comfortably and I'd be happy to reach that

• Like 1

Hi Skeeter and BackonTrack,

I am doing really well! I have lost 15kg so far, and I can fit back into my nice jeans (still fat jeans but skinnier than i was lol) 

So encouraging hearing your stories and knowing that it is doable to get past the predicted excess weight loss that the surgeon told me i would get to. I can not wait! 

• Like 3

Thanks Skeeter and BackonTrack,

Your posts also give me so much hope. I havent been under 90kg since primary school. It almost seems  impossible, but seeing your results makes me happy!

• Like 2

Hi Carly, 

My Sister is being sleeved in Feb next year. shes in the 140s and shes been told by her surgeon (DR Liew) to expect 100 or abit under. Her top end normal BMI 24.9 is low 70kgs. So about 60% of her excess.

im pretty sure your Dr liew is just more cautious than most and stating the average where im sure a lot more weight loss is certainly doable.

When i started this sleeve journey i did a lot of research, firstly from surgeons websites and then from independent reputably medical journals.

i guess what i learned was that statistically you should ( like denzel mentioned) expect to lose 60 - 70% of your excess weight. (remember you can cheat weight loss surgery and i guess some people cheat a sleeve) so i think 60 - 70% of your excess is the average.

Excess weight = current weight - top end normal  BMI 24.9 weight. so what you are above your 24.9 BMI is your excess.

My thoughts are that if all the doctors said you would get down to your "normal" BMI and most people dont than its not going to be seen as successful surgery, but how successful you are is up to the individual.

Good luck.  i know you'll do great.. 

• Like 2

Hi Skeeter and BackonTrack,

I am doing really well! I have lost 15kg so far, and I can fit back into my nice jeans (still fat jeans but skinnier than i was lol) 

So encouraging hearing your stories and knowing that it is doable to get past the predicted excess weight loss that the surgeon told me i would get to. I can not wait! 

that's great. It feels good to fit into clothes you like. I tried on a whole heap on the weekend and they were way to big however I did wear a suit today for the first time in about 7 years. It's also nice to wear high heels again without my knees hurting from all the excess weight

• Like 3