FromBondi

ESG - Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty

Hi there,

I'm 1 week pre ESG - the new endoscopic version of the sleeve (note: this is not recommended for all candidates). It's very new in Australia, only performed by a couple doctors since late last year. Haven't been able to find any real patient feedback online so am keen to hear from anyone out there who may have had this done or know someone that has.

So far I'm a week into my 2 week pre op diet of shakes (doctor recommended Impromy brand). Finding my moods low and my temper short... especially in the afternoons!

Keen to hear what the recovery is like from an ESG, especially the first few days as I have young kids to look after.

Thanks!

• Like 3

HI and welcome.  Don't know of anyone who has had this but I believe it's not a "forever" option?  I did see a program on it from  the UK but while the balloon was there the Patient lost weight. Something went wrong after 6 months and it had to be taken out and weight gain returned.   I guess you have done your research, so I hope it all goes well for you.

Let us know how you get on!

HI and welcome.  Don't know of anyone who has had this but I believe it's not a "forever" option?  I did see a program on it from  the UK but while the balloon was there the Patient lost weight. Something went wrong after 6 months and it had to be taken out and weight gain returned

I think an ESG is more like a plication than the removable balloon (which honestly to me seems like a really bad idea)? 

Goodluck with it FromBondi :) Its a huge step no matter what procedure you're going for, and the pre-op stages are so hard and frustrating but it really sets you up well for the next dietary stage. Stick with it if you can xo 

I just did a quick Google :blink: earlier but I do see that both balloon and plication are done with this procedure.  The balloons are not permanent but the plication is. I think some peeps on here have had banding and plication at the same time but can't remember who and when:rolleyes:  

Thanks for your comments and support guys.

It's not a removable device. In many ways it's similar to the sleeve but your stomach is stitched closed not cut out completely. There is a small but unlikely chance of some stitches coming loose over time (although there are enough that this wouldn't effect it as there are many layers of stitches). The benefits are it is day surgery, and less invasive, quicker recovery.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi, just an update. I'm 4 weeks post ESG.

I was in and out in day surgery. I only had a late afternoon procedure and found the first night very difficult - harder and more pain than expected (although I am apprently in the minority).

First 3 days were difficult then much better.

Have finished 3 weeks of 'free fluids' (shakes and soups) and was going a bit mad! Started this week with purees. Didn't do so well last night with some blended chicken which wasn't moist enough and I was in pain all night!

Overall I've lost nearly 13kg (including the 2 weeks pre surgery where I lost 6kg on the prep diet), so am feeling great.

Found that the weight loss slowed down after the first few days of no food post op but kick strted again once I started walking a few times a week.

Start soft foods this Saturday and looking forward to that.

Also wanted to share this segment on Channel 9 that they made on the ESG (note this is not my doctor and I had no overnight hospital stay, so some details vary):

http://www.9news.com.au/health/2017/04/12/20/27/new-weight-loss-breakthrough-doesnt-involve-surgery 

• Like 3

Thanks for posting and good luck with it.  How much weight do you want to lose?  I note the surgeon said 60% of excess weight loss is achievable.  Are there any long term studies done with this?

Also quick question-it's not stitched edge to edge like say a Gastric Sleeve-so can food get in the cracks? (..and go bad!)

• Like 1

As for long term studies, I think they only have data for about 3-4 years as it's still so new, but I'll watch with interest!

No I don't think food gets stuck in the cracks, and as an FYI he told me there are 7 rows of stitches! I never thought about getting stuck in cracks but I would think just like with stitches on a wound it closes it up. Obviously the first weeks of only having fluids helps give the stitches time to heal properly before passing food through

• Like 2

Hi thanks for the update on your progress.  I've just had the ESG last Monday so am a week post op and back to work today. All seems good so far. 

• Like 3

Hi, just an update. I'm 4 weeks post ESG.

I was in and out in day surgery. I only had a late afternoon procedure and found the first night very difficult - harder and more pain than expected (although I am apprently in the minority).

First 3 days were difficult then much better.

Have finished 3 weeks of 'free fluids' (shakes and soups) and was going a bit mad! Started this week with purees. Didn't do so well last night with some blended chicken which wasn't moist enough and I was in pain all night!

Overall I've lost nearly 13kg (including the 2 weeks pre surgery where I lost 6kg on the prep diet), so am feeling great.

Found that the weight loss slowed down after the first few days of no food post op but kick strted again once I started walking a few times a week.

Start soft foods this Saturday and looking forward to that.

Also wanted to share this segment on Channel 9 that they made on the ESG (note this is not my doctor and I had no overnight hospital stay, so some details vary):

http://www.9news.com.au/health/2017/04/12/20/27/new-weight-loss-breakthrough-doesnt-involve-surgery 

Hi there, I'm brand new here and just booked my ESG procedure today!

Would you mind if I ask what your before weight was and what your goal is? 

Hi, can i ask where you had this done as i am not able to find a surgeon in Victoria that performs the ESG

Hi there, I'm brand new here and just booked my ESG procedure today!

Would you mind if I ask what your before weight was and what your goal is? 

Hi, I'm so sorry I missed this post... Have you had the ESG yet? How are you doing?

I started at 93.3kg and now 2 months post op I am 74-75kg. It's really amazing and worth all the difficult weeks.

As an update to everyone in general, I'm feeling really great but finding it very difficult to keep my quantities small and not slip back to old habits (Now that I can have normal food and meals). Will try keep you all posted

• Like 2

Wow! That's amazing weight loss in a short space of time! Keep posting :)

I have served 8 months waiting period for PHI with the intention of having a LSG. And now this procedure is gaining my attention!!!

Does the ESG have a medicare number and did you fund it through private health insurance?

I don't think it is covered by Medicare (though the Doctor bulk billed his consultations). It is covered by some health funds so will probably fall under the same category as the LSG... worth checking. The code to check for (I think!) is 31578

Good luck!

Hi I'm booked in to have my Endoscopic Sleeve on 24th June, just started my 2weeks pre op shakes.

can I ask did u have concerns having this procedure?

the closer the date more fear is starting to set in!

I will be the first the reputable surgeons is doing and don't doubt him at all just scared!

Hey, try not to get too worked up over it :-) I'm a week out and have had 0 pain. None. Zilch. Back at work yesterday and already 5kgs down. Feeling fantastic! 

Where's all the chatter about ESG happening?

I have the green light from my private health fund to go ahead mid October.

Does anyone have links to medical research articles etc? How are people going post-op?

Where's all the chatter about ESG happening?

I have the green light from my private health fund to go ahead mid October.

Does anyone have links to medical research articles etc? How are people going post-op?

Not sure where the chatter is.. that's why I started this thread!

I'm really happy so far. I'm down 20kg since April 3rd procedure. Would still like another 5kg to be at a healthier weight.

I'm finding it difficult to not go back to old habits but am trying to keep at least one meal replacement a day up. 

How's everyone else going post ESG?

• Like 1

Hi, can i ask where you had this done as i am not able to find a surgeon in Victoria that performs the ESG

Hi the  is only one in Melbourne doing the ESG is Mr Kiron Bhatia from Heidelberg Weight Loss Surgery they also have a Facebook page if your interested in looking into them I will be have the procedure done End of September.

Edited by Lauretta

Not sure where the chatter is.. that's why I started this thread!

I'm really happy so far. I'm down 20kg since April 3rd procedure. Would still like another 5kg to be at a healthier weight.

I'm finding it difficult to not go back to old habits but am trying to keep at least one meal replacement a day up. 

How's everyone else going post ESG?

Hi there, following your posts with interest. Isn't your appetite a lot smaller now in line with the new stomach size and therefore this prevents you from slipping back to old habits? Is it still a struggle, despite the ESG, to keep calorie intake down and does the new stomach somehow "stretch" and accommodate more food again? A friend of mine had the full surgery roux-en-Y sleeve gastrectomy which is a lot more invasive obviously, but 6 months on her appetite is still very modest. And congratulations on your admirable weight loss. P.S. I am a GP watching this thread (if you pardon the pun) with interest and would like to recommend it to numerous patients.

How are you going FromBondi?

I'm interested to know how your weight loss is going. I am not typically someone who eats too much, but rather eating the wrong foods, including soft drinks and slushies! 

Also re the pre op diet, is it as important as in the traditional sleeve surgery? Seeing as they don't need to work around the liver? Just hoping there's an easier way (of course!). I loathe the idea of not eating proper food for a month!! 

In in the traditional sleeve procedure, they say that because so much of the stomach is missing, you don't crave sweets etc like before. Does this hold true with the endoscopic version, seeing as the stomach is still technically there?

thanks, and hope you're doing well! 

How are you going FromBondi?

I'm interested to know how your weight loss is going. I am not typically someone who eats too much, but rather eating the wrong foods, including soft drinks and slushies! 

Also re the pre op diet, is it as important as in the traditional sleeve surgery? Seeing as they don't need to work around the liver? Just hoping there's an easier way (of course!). I loathe the idea of not eating proper food for a month!! 

In in the traditional sleeve procedure, they say that because so much of the stomach is missing, you don't crave sweets etc like before. Does this hold true with the endoscopic version, seeing as the stomach is still technically there?

thanks, and hope you're doing well! 

Mine is still at a plateau, but I must say unnecessary (and often unhealthy snacks) have creeped it. I'm working on trying to cut this out again!!

So no, I wouldn't say it gets rid of your cravings.

And actually I only had to do the pre op diet for 2 weeks, and it was very HARD. But I would say do it, and do everything you can, no matter how hard it is. That's what you're doing it for... to get MAX results!