FromBondi

ESG - Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty

Hi there, following your posts with interest. Isn't your appetite a lot smaller now in line with the new stomach size and therefore this prevents you from slipping back to old habits? Is it still a struggle, despite the ESG, to keep calorie intake down and does the new stomach somehow "stretch" and accommodate more food again? A friend of mine had the full surgery roux-en-Y sleeve gastrectomy which is a lot more invasive obviously, but 6 months on her appetite is still very modest. And congratulations on your admirable weight loss. P.S. I am a GP watching this thread (if you pardon the pun) with interest and would like to recommend it to numerous patients.

Sorry is I missed this earlier, I just noticed your question.

I found the first few months much easier with small portions, and now I find it has seemed to stretch. Not back to what it was, but I can probably eat 70-80% of the volume I used to. I think the average is about 60% once you reach the plateau. I still love the procedure and weight loss and told my GP to recommend it to people!

• Like 1

Hello,

I've been exploring having an ESG procedure. Interestingly I consulted one of the surgeons mentioned in this thread and he really pushed the Endoscopic Sleeve rather than ESG. He focused on the lack of long term data, and the slower weight loss. I have a BMI of about 33. 

I'm really interested to hear from TessieBear99FromBondi or Lauretta about their experiences? How are you finding life and would you recommend the procedure? Thank you

Hello,

I've been exploring having an ESG procedure. Interestingly I consulted one of the surgeons mentioned in this thread and he really pushed the Endoscopic Sleeve rather than ESG. He focused on the lack of long term data, and the slower weight loss. I have a BMI of about 33. 

I'm really interested to hear from TessieBear99FromBondi or Lauretta about their experiences? How are you finding life and would you recommend the procedure? Thank you

Hi, I'm enjoying it a lot. Plateaued at 20kg loss but my stats on the DEXA scan in the last 5 months showed 6kg fat loss and 7kg muscle gain because I'm exercising like mad. So body definitely still improving. I'm a comfortable size 12-14. Find eating habits continue to be a battle, and am nervous about undoing all my hard work, but still struggle to change my behavior. But I think this is the same challenge no matter what procedure you do.

Hope this helps?

• Like 1

Thanks! Glad to hear it is going well! Would you recommend your clinic?

hai so nice to finally found a topic about de ESG im patricia drom holland and have a appointment next monday to talk about the ESG im hospital. My englisch isnt very Good but i will keep on reading youre storys and will keep up with mine

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and looking into the ESG procedure here in Brisbane soon.

I've done the prelim endoscopy and all is good but have been told by my surgeon that the Medicare has removed the item number for this procedure and are looking into establishing a new item number. This affects all ESG procedures in Australia. I've been put on a waiting list for when Medicare launches the new item number (which nobody knows when that will happen...)

Is there anyone who is in the same situation? Or know any more about this?

Finally I thought I had found a solution, but frustrated I can't move forward... :(

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and looking into the ESG procedure here in Brisbane soon.

I've done the prelim endoscopy and all is good but have been told by my surgeon that the Medicare has removed the item number for this procedure and are looking into establishing a new item number. This affects all ESG procedures in Australia. I've been put on a waiting list for when Medicare launches the new item number (which nobody knows when that will happen...)

Is there anyone who is in the same situation? Or know any more about this?

Finally I thought I had found a solution, but frustrated I can't move forward... :(

I am in the same boat, I had done some research and was just getting ready for a referral when I found out that ESGs were not covered by medicare and never were.  Surgeons were using a code for sleeves but that particularly sleeve  (ESG) isn't covered.  I was hoping that surgeons were lobbying for it to be covered by medicare.

I am now looking at either using super (if I can get in before the rules change as the govt is currently reviewing early release of super for bariatic surgery) or using MiFund. One of the clinics I am looking at using MiFund and it looks a lot cheaper than a loan.  I will use super if I go to the clinic that doesn't use MiFund.

Just wondering if any past ESGers have update on how they are going?

I went to my doctor today for a referral.  I decided on Dr Adrian Sartoretto of the BMI Clinic, fingers crossed I am a good candidate for the ESG.  I like the non-surgery aspect of it.

• Like 1

I am now looking at either using super (if I can get in before the rules change as the govt is currently reviewing early release of super for bariatic surgery) or using MiFund. One of the clinics I am looking at using MiFund and it looks a lot cheaper than a loan.  I will use super if I go to the clinic that doesn't use MiFund.

Hi @CarolC - you might find this interesting:  "SuperCare is an Australian company assisting you with your application for the Early Release of Superannuation Program (ERS), operated by the Department of Human Services (DHS) to cover your Weight Loss and Bariatric costs. ...

SuperCare can help facilitate funding for most Bariatric procedures including:

SuperCare’s goal is to alleviate stress and anxiety associated with the financial burden of medical treatments. SuperCare’s caring, knowledgeable and professional consultants efficiently manage every ERS application to ensure a stress-free and timely outcome. Each applicant receives regular support from SuperCare’s consultants ensuring they feel valued and supported throughout the ERS process.

Patients are advised to contact SuperCare via the SuperCare website or by calling 1300 665 440."

All the best! 

:) 

• Like 1

I had my phone consult with Dr Sartoretto, it was a good consult I thought.  He asked a lot of questions based on my personal/history, allowed plenty of time for me to ask my questions.  I like his approach to weight/fat loss with the focus more on body fat percentage / body composition than scale weight.  Dr Sartoretto has done approx 160 ESG which is quite a good number given its a relatively new procedure in Australia.  

While I had already done a range of blood tests, I now have a referral for a breath test and oral glucose test.

I was pleased to see that there wasn't a change in the budget with regards to early release of super for WLS (unless its still hidden in the fine print somewhere).

• Like 1