FromBondi

ESG - Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty

Hi there, following your posts with interest. Isn't your appetite a lot smaller now in line with the new stomach size and therefore this prevents you from slipping back to old habits? Is it still a struggle, despite the ESG, to keep calorie intake down and does the new stomach somehow "stretch" and accommodate more food again? A friend of mine had the full surgery roux-en-Y sleeve gastrectomy which is a lot more invasive obviously, but 6 months on her appetite is still very modest. And congratulations on your admirable weight loss. P.S. I am a GP watching this thread (if you pardon the pun) with interest and would like to recommend it to numerous patients.

Sorry is I missed this earlier, I just noticed your question.

I found the first few months much easier with small portions, and now I find it has seemed to stretch. Not back to what it was, but I can probably eat 70-80% of the volume I used to. I think the average is about 60% once you reach the plateau. I still love the procedure and weight loss and told my GP to recommend it to people!

• Like 1

Hello,

I've been exploring having an ESG procedure. Interestingly I consulted one of the surgeons mentioned in this thread and he really pushed the Endoscopic Sleeve rather than ESG. He focused on the lack of long term data, and the slower weight loss. I have a BMI of about 33. 

I'm really interested to hear from TessieBear99FromBondi or Lauretta about their experiences? How are you finding life and would you recommend the procedure? Thank you

Hello,

I've been exploring having an ESG procedure. Interestingly I consulted one of the surgeons mentioned in this thread and he really pushed the Endoscopic Sleeve rather than ESG. He focused on the lack of long term data, and the slower weight loss. I have a BMI of about 33. 

I'm really interested to hear from TessieBear99FromBondi or Lauretta about their experiences? How are you finding life and would you recommend the procedure? Thank you

Hi, I'm enjoying it a lot. Plateaued at 20kg loss but my stats on the DEXA scan in the last 5 months showed 6kg fat loss and 7kg muscle gain because I'm exercising like mad. So body definitely still improving. I'm a comfortable size 12-14. Find eating habits continue to be a battle, and am nervous about undoing all my hard work, but still struggle to change my behavior. But I think this is the same challenge no matter what procedure you do.

Hope this helps?

• Like 1

hai so nice to finally found a topic about de ESG im patricia drom holland and have a appointment next monday to talk about the ESG im hospital. My englisch isnt very Good but i will keep on reading youre storys and will keep up with mine

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and looking into the ESG procedure here in Brisbane soon.

I've done the prelim endoscopy and all is good but have been told by my surgeon that the Medicare has removed the item number for this procedure and are looking into establishing a new item number. This affects all ESG procedures in Australia. I've been put on a waiting list for when Medicare launches the new item number (which nobody knows when that will happen...)

Is there anyone who is in the same situation? Or know any more about this?

Finally I thought I had found a solution, but frustrated I can't move forward... :(

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and looking into the ESG procedure here in Brisbane soon.

I've done the prelim endoscopy and all is good but have been told by my surgeon that the Medicare has removed the item number for this procedure and are looking into establishing a new item number. This affects all ESG procedures in Australia. I've been put on a waiting list for when Medicare launches the new item number (which nobody knows when that will happen...)

Is there anyone who is in the same situation? Or know any more about this?

Finally I thought I had found a solution, but frustrated I can't move forward... :(

I am in the same boat, I had done some research and was just getting ready for a referral when I found out that ESGs were not covered by medicare and never were.  Surgeons were using a code for sleeves but that particularly sleeve  (ESG) isn't covered.  I was hoping that surgeons were lobbying for it to be covered by medicare.

I am now looking at either using super (if I can get in before the rules change as the govt is currently reviewing early release of super for bariatic surgery) or using MiFund. One of the clinics I am looking at using MiFund and it looks a lot cheaper than a loan.  I will use super if I go to the clinic that doesn't use MiFund.

Just wondering if any past ESGers have update on how they are going?

I went to my doctor today for a referral.  I decided on Dr Adrian Sartoretto of the BMI Clinic, fingers crossed I am a good candidate for the ESG.  I like the non-surgery aspect of it.

• Like 1

I am now looking at either using super (if I can get in before the rules change as the govt is currently reviewing early release of super for bariatic surgery) or using MiFund. One of the clinics I am looking at using MiFund and it looks a lot cheaper than a loan.  I will use super if I go to the clinic that doesn't use MiFund.

Hi @CarolC - you might find this interesting:  "SuperCare is an Australian company assisting you with your application for the Early Release of Superannuation Program (ERS), operated by the Department of Human Services (DHS) to cover your Weight Loss and Bariatric costs. ...

SuperCare can help facilitate funding for most Bariatric procedures including:

SuperCare’s goal is to alleviate stress and anxiety associated with the financial burden of medical treatments. SuperCare’s caring, knowledgeable and professional consultants efficiently manage every ERS application to ensure a stress-free and timely outcome. Each applicant receives regular support from SuperCare’s consultants ensuring they feel valued and supported throughout the ERS process.

Patients are advised to contact SuperCare via the SuperCare website or by calling 1300 665 440."

All the best! 

:) 

• Like 1

I had my phone consult with Dr Sartoretto, it was a good consult I thought.  He asked a lot of questions based on my personal/history, allowed plenty of time for me to ask my questions.  I like his approach to weight/fat loss with the focus more on body fat percentage / body composition than scale weight.  Dr Sartoretto has done approx 160 ESG which is quite a good number given its a relatively new procedure in Australia.  

While I had already done a range of blood tests, I now have a referral for a breath test and oral glucose test.

I was pleased to see that there wasn't a change in the budget with regards to early release of super for WLS (unless its still hidden in the fine print somewhere).

• Like 1

On 5/10/2018 at 7:21 PM, CarolC said:

I had my phone consult with Dr Sartoretto, it was a good consult I thought.  He asked a lot of questions based on my personal/history, allowed plenty of time for me to ask my questions.  I like his approach to weight/fat loss with the focus more on body fat percentage / body composition than scale weight.  Dr Sartoretto has done approx 160 ESG which is quite a good number given its a relatively new procedure in Australia.  

While I had already done a range of blood tests, I now have a referral for a breath test and oral glucose test.

I was pleased to see that there wasn't a change in the budget with regards to early release of super for WLS (unless its still hidden in the fine print somewhere).

I had mine too but I am not eligible for super as apparently I am too healthy...  with Dr Adrian.. I just will not pay 16K for that program 

On 6/8/2018 at 3:08 PM, weightloss said:

I had mine too but I am not eligible for super as apparently I am too healthy...  with Dr Adrian.. I just will not pay 16K for that program 

I am sorry to hear that for you, have you thought about what you will do now?

I should have realised they would review BMI and health, but I haven't actually thought about it.  Do they apply the same standards as for WLS under medicare/PHI?

The price for the actual procedure has gone up $1,000 since February, which is a rather large increase.

I am currently just waiting for the person who is dealing with me to get back with the 'where to from here', I should know by the coming week.  I was going to be applying for Super release, now I am wondering if my BMI is high enough, along with sufficient comorbidities.

On 5/3/2017 at 8:59 PM, FromBondi said:

"... he told me there are 7 rows of stitches..."
I have a mental image of a sewing machine running up and down on your stomach...

Not quite lol.  It's also called an accordion sleeve gastroplasty, which may help understand how the stitches are made.

http://drsharaiha.com/endoscopic-sleeve/

What happens during the procedure?
Using an endoscopic suturing device, the endoscopist constricts the stomach, resulting in a “sleeve”. The patient is placed under general anesthesia, and the doctor places a scope down the patient’s throat sutures are inserted in a specific pattern from the bottom of the stomach (antrum) to the top (fundus).  The series of sutures is then tightened in a fashion that resembles an accordion, constricting the overall usable volume of the stomach. 

esg_procedure.jpeg

Hi everyone, I know this is an old thread but I was keen to read anyone else’s results as I’m going to meet with doctors next week about this procedure.. I had the balloon last June but had such a terrible time due to the balloon being overfilled that I had the procedure reversed after 5 days... I would love to hear honest stories about those first few days, is the nausea horrific? I’m conscious of the fact that I have a little one to look after but I do have plenty of help from my mum and partner.. thank you so much frombondi for your post, reading your experience is encouraging!! 

Hi there, sorry you haven't received a response from any ESGers, unfortunately there aren't too many people that have had them yet here on these forums.

I belong to three ESG groups on FB, and from what I can gather the first few days following the procedure varies from person to person, but generally first day not so hot after that not so bad, with some people returning to work within a couple to a few days.

It is looking like my procedure will be 15 October, so close but so far!  Timing is due to me not the doctor.

Which doctor are you seeing?

I’m 8 days post esg done at the BMI clinic with Dr Adrian Sartoretto. I feel fine. The 3 days after the procedure I was totally off my face on the drugs and it was a complete blur, but once the meds were finished I was back to my old self. So I have another 2wks of my shake diet. I’ve lost 7kg so far since starting 2wks of pre-op shakes. I must admit I have cheated from time to time. Not heaps but have chomped a few snacks and chewed them to a pulp then mixed them with a gulp of water to get it down. Have even had a few bites of junky food then spat it out. I must say, when I did eat the snacks, even tho it was tiny amts it didn’t feel great in my tummy cause it fills you up so much. Just have to be strong and resist and really choose which food is worth putting in my mouth!

On 6/20/2018 at 1:54 AM, Glammumma1 said:

Hi everyone, I know this is an old thread but I was keen to read anyone else’s results as I’m going to meet with doctors next week about this procedure.. I had the balloon last June but had such a terrible time due to the balloon being overfilled that I had the procedure reversed after 5 days... I would love to hear honest stories about those first few days, is the nausea horrific? I’m conscious of the fact that I have a little one to look after but I do have plenty of help from my mum and partner.. thank you so much frombondi for your post, reading your experience is encouraging!! 

I am a mum of 2 little ones too and found the first few days MUCH harder than expected or forewarned about. First night was HELL (but I had the last procedure of the day and think this made a difference). First 48 hours very difficult and then I was tender but OK to be around the kids in the afternoons and smaller intervals. You just survive, because as mums there's no choice of course! Before you know it the first week will be over, and then the second and you'll feel amazing! Good luck!

Thank you so much for your replies everyone! I’m going to see Dr Graeme Rich at the SAN, he’s been recommended by a friend who works with patients and said he is very highly regarded... and my research suggests the same! 

I can see @FromBondi and @SkinnyTastesBetter Had very different experiences on those first few days, I know how sick I was after the balloon so I need to just prepare myself for the possibility of the same thing... this time just need to suck it up and remember why I’m doing it and think of all the lovely clothes in my wardrobe, and the thought of running around the bike park with my daughter! ❤️

There seems to be a couple of highly regarded doctors in Sydney for the ESG - Dr Rich and Dr Sartoretto, both are rightly rated on the FB groups I am on.  Best wishes for your appoinment next week!

Has anyone had this procedure with a gastric band in place? I’ve had a band for 5 years with very little sucess and I’m not looking at different options.

Thank you

It's a fairly new procedure in Australia, I doubt there would be anyone on here who had this procedure with a gastric band in place as yet.  I did find this query elsewhere, not sure if the answers are helpful.

https://www.realself.com/question/los-angeles-ca-endoscopic-sleeve-gastroplasty

Maybe worthwhile contacting the Dr/ clinics that seem to have undertaken the most ESG procedures, there is the BMI Clinic (Dr Sartoretto) in Double Bay and Dr Graeme Rich (but not sure which clinic he is associated with).

There are a couple of ESG FB pages if you are interested.  If you are concerned about privacy re your fb friends seeing you joining a WLS group, join FB with an alias like I did.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/274220686385864/        

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1912403589016864/

There is a USA ESG page too

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1935274250043041/

• Like 1

On 7/27/2018 at 8:26 PM, dalejj said:

Has anyone had this procedure with a gastric band in place? I’ve had a band for 5 years with very little sucess and I’m not looking at different options.

Thank you

My new surgeon told me to today I should consider removing my 12 year old band and have this procedure instead... I'm concerned about the price and a few other issues. Interested to hear as well

www.cairnsgastro.com.au is the surgeon

Edited by HoneyBadger
add a website

12 hours ago, HoneyBadger said:

My new surgeon told me to today I should consider removing my 12 year old band and have this procedure instead... I'm concerned about the price and a few other issues. Interested to hear as well

www.cairnsgastro.com.au is the surgeon

I had a look at the website, it wasn't quite clear on the actual cost, and I am surprised that an overnight day in hospital is required. 

One thing I would be clarifying with the surgeon is how many ESG have they done as well as there failure, revision and complication rates.  

I am travelling to NSW for my procedure - all medical costs including the anaesthetist and the support package is approx $17,000. There isn't an overnight night in hospital either.  What issues are you particularly worried about?