FromBondi

ESG - Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty

6 hours ago, CarolC said:

I had a look at the website, it wasn't quite clear on the actual cost, and I am surprised that an overnight day in hospital is required. 

One thing I would be clarifying with the surgeon is how many ESG have they done as well as there failure, revision and complication rates.  

I am travelling to NSW for my procedure - all medical costs including the anaesthetist and the support package is approx $17,000. There isn't an overnight night in hospital either.  What issues are you particularly worried about?        

Hi CarolC - was the $17K after private health? 

Hi SarahJane

ESG is not covered by medicare or private health insurance, only when it has a medicare item number will private health cover some of the costs. 

Typically medicare will cover 75% of the schedule fees, private health will cover 25% of the schedule fee...patient is left the gap fee which are the amounts above the scheduled fee for the surgeon and anesthetist,  and hospital costs (if applicable and not covered by private health insurance) and the support package.    Before medicare made it known that ESG wasn't covered by medicare, some surgeons were using, in error, a medicare item number for another type of bariatric surgery and if I recall correctly  people were out of pocket anywhere from $5,000 to $10,000 after medicare and private health.  

It looks likes it's $5500 for the surgeon, $1200 for the Multidisciplinary Support, Anaesthetist fees (approx $500) and hospital fees, potentially $10-$15k.  That itself is concerning for me, I cant see how I could swing that at the moment.

Plus I worry about the long term effects of a sleeve on gut health and I suppose I have become comfortable with my band that suggestion of a change is a bit shocking.

When is your procedure?

My procedure will be mid October.  I have attached a copy of my quote for you, to give you an idea of costs from another doctor.  Perhaps call around and check other surgeon's costs, plus I would be checking number of procedures undertaken.  My doctor has done about 170 to 180 of them.  Experience counts, I've read of some doctors not putting enough restriction in.

I will probably down grade to the 12 month program which will reduce the fees by another $1000.

Has your band been giving you problems?

image.png.0e35f3fa521ad0fd7c436e6ba64218bb.png

Hi CarolC, Thanks for providing the quote. I went ahead with the Gastric Sleeve which came in at $6,800 for the surgeon and 12 /18 months dietician support and consults. Because I had private health insurance, I was covered for all the hospital fees. I'm now 3 months out and am so happy I took the jump with some sort of the surgery... For me, it wasn't so much about if it was the VSG or the ESG, but the fact that I'm gaining control over my health and life that's so incredibly positive. Not looking back! Best of luck with your procedure! :) Will be keen to hear your feedback on how it went.