Raven

Possibly Band to Sleeve, would like people's experiences

Hello, i just found out today I need to have my band removed, it has slipped majorly (like 90 degrees could see the full circle in the Xray), which explains why i've been vomitting 2-3 times a day.  So the band is coming out in May, then my doctor said i have to wait 4 months for the stomach to heal before I could consider getting a sleeve done.  I'd like to hear peoples experiences about going from band to sleeve, both successes and drawbacks. I'm quite nervous about the decision... my hubby doesn't want me to get it done at all. Was it worth it for you? did you have to wait between your removal and your sleeving? Do you still do the shake period for sleeve? 

I guess i'm just looking for some realism to help me make my decision.. and maybe some hope?

I've lost 28kg with my band in 2 years... i want to loose another 30kg to get down to 100kg goal weight... 

Hi Raven!

Im actually 2 weeks post op band to sleeve revision

Like you i was successfull with a band but it slipped and the weight came back. I did opti for 5 weeks before my revision surgery (lost about 15kgs) since surgery i have lost anther 5kgs, so 20kg all up in 7 weeks.

I was lucky enough that my band didnt do to much damage and after extensive testing my surgeon said it was possible to do the revision in 1 surgery. Every surgeon is different with that matter.

Im only just started mushy/ puree foods and so far i am so thankfull i made the choice to revise. I know its still fresh but it is a completely different world to the band, instead of feeling like your full because food is sitting in your osophogas, you just feel comfortably full. Its hard to explain but you will understand if you decide to do it.

Like you my husband was also concerned, he saw me suffer and  constantly choke with the band and didnt want me to suffer again. But now he is so happy for me and our family because i am finally becoming me again. My husband has a disabilty and we have 2 young children so i am relied on alot, but i made the choice to do this so i am around long enough and able enough to provide for them.

If you have any othe questions please feel fre to msg me :) as i said im still a newbie but im happy to help.

• Like 1

Thank you for the response this gives me some hope. It turns out I've had a badly slipped band since late November or so so unfortunately my doctor wants my stomach to have a chance to heal a bit before the sleeve which is annoying to have to have two surgeries but understandable I guess. Better safe than sorry. I'll probably take you up on that offer to PM. My hubby seems a bit more relaxed after hearing what you've said. He's had to listen to me choking in my sleep as well and it worries him dreadfully. Thank you again! 

Yes i definatly dont miss the choking and neither does my husband. Its just awefull, id wake up with burst blood vessels all over my face from how hard id cough. 

Msg Anytime :) happy to help.

Hi Raven,

i too am a newbie to the sleeve, i had my band removed then had to wait 3 months until i could have the sleeve it felt like a life time! But its all done now and i am happy with my decision, no more vomiting or reflux!

one thing that the drs dont explain (well mine didnt) is you can be prone to infection which is very treatable its more common with the older style bands, i ended up with cellulitis but i was quick to catch it so it went away quite quickly after having an iv of antibiotics also!! Your scar may leak this is just fluid that has built up around the port and needs to come so dont freak out if that happens (i did lol)

• Like 1

Thank you so much! Both of you. Well i've tentatively booked in a sleeve date with my doctor for September 18th which gives me enough time for my stomach to heal from band removal on May 29th, but will be early enough i can be recovered from sleeve before my dog sports competitions start up in October. 

Because there is only one surgeon who does it in my city i wanted to get a day saved so i dont miss out.

Talked to my insurance because my removal and sleeve would be in the same year i only have to pay excess once yay!

I am feeling better about this more and more!

Hi Raven,

I'm currently having thoughts about band removal and going for sleeve.  I too am in Tas, may I ask who does the sleeve in Tas? As I was banded in Vic and wasn't sure if I should just return there.

Hi Raven,

I'm currently having thoughts about band removal and going for sleeve.  I too am in Tas, may I ask who does the sleeve in Tas? As I was banded in Vic and wasn't sure if I should just return there.

Mine is by Dr Girish Pande in Launceston :) he did my band and will do the sleeve as well :) He is so lovely!