jemabell

My updates

Hi all,

Just thought id post a 3 week post op update. I remember reading through these while waiting for my surgery and it giving me hope of what i might expect, that being said i am well aware everyone's journery is different so this is just my progress.

8 weeks since starting my journery (5 weeks opti, 3 weeks post op)

Start weight 142kg, current weight 120.7kg

Total loss 21.3kg (15kg of which was lost on opti)

Ive was hoping to get under the 120s by today but the scale has not moved at all in 4 days (im a daily weigher). Its frustrating but looking at the big picture im very happy with my results so far :) 

Im currently on mushie foods, next week will be making the move to soft foods. Im trying to make very healthy food choices, although this week i re introduced carbs, which i think may be the reason for the stall in weight loss. Im considering cutting carbs and trying keto. Or maybe the weight stall could just be due to the fact im no longer soley on fluids.

I also can no longer tolerate dairy, if i do have dairy i have about 5 minutes to find a toilet, so for now i will avoid dairy and try to re introduce in a few weeks, im hoping this is just apart of the healing still, but it was something i was prepared for.

And thats about all from me for now ;) 

Hoping this helps others in some way.

• Like 4

Great work Jemabell,

You deserve a medal for the 5 weeks of preop opti. Thanks for your updates. With 7 weeks to go these success stories are very engouraging.

It helps alot 

Thanks

• Like 1

Woo hoo this is a good update :) good work chickadee!

I weigh myself daily as well and I have just come off my weight stall so exciting seeing the scales go down every day! So yep I put it down to not being on the fluids anymore.

I to had the same issue with dairy but now am back to normal (thank goodness) 

• Like 1

we're all serial weighers.. lol

Missus reckons she gunna hide the scales when im in hospital.. and let the sleeve do its job. :)

i'm gunna be a donkey on the edge without my scales. 

might have to get a set for the shed... shhh :)

Be our secret girls...

• Like 4

Ironman, if all else fails you can always use the ones for sale in Bunnings!!!.

You will know there is a change in weight, just with the fit of your clothes.

Best wishes for your surgery and beyond.

• Like 2

Thanks all, hahhahah ironman, i actually made my husband hide my scales to, but anxiety kicked in and i searched untill i found them.

Bandwagon i live your bunning idea, that made me laugh!

Carly im sooo hoping this lactose thing passes but if not it somthing i will accept :(

The scale didnt move again today, ive heard it common to stall at 3 weeks post op. Today i did a lot of walking at the zoo with the kiddies so hopefully that helps get things moving.

• Like 2

Good work Jemma.

I'll buck the trend and I simply don't weigh myself anymore. My new clothes still fit and I no longer obsess about what a stupid number says at the bottom of my feet.

If my clothes start getting tight, then I'll do something about it.

• Like 2

HAHAHA! That was a good laugh Ironman! 

Yeah Jem I think it will pass, surely it has to once we start introducing meats and solid veggies again!

My scales have stalled this morning too :( I am desperate to break into the 30's ugh, the walking should have done some good for you :) my Mum see's an exercise physiologist (I see mine next week) and he has told her that she needs to walk 30 mins everyday! even if its 15 mins in the morning and afternoon to break it up.

I think to get my 30 mins I am going to go to a shopping centre lol I don't feel like it chore then 

• Like 1

Hahaha Ironman i see you have watched Shrek once or twice lol ( my little sister use to love it so much she wore the tape out lol). 

Jemabell,  i had just got online to see if there was any progress update from you :) 

Glad to see all is going well. Hope the dairy thing rights itself soon. Congratulations on your progress so far you are doing great.  

• Like 1

So friends im seriously feeling knocked down this week. Ive had no weight loss and somehow gained a few points of a kilo.

Ive been doing alot more excercise this week, over or close to 10000 steps a day accoring to my fit bit, and been eating 800-1000cals a day (on the app ive been burning much more than im eating).. drinking lots of water.. this is sooo frustrating.

I know its only been a week and things will fluctuate, but i cant help but feel im failing again.

I know weight stops dropping sometimes, but a small gain? Is this just the 3 week stall, has anyone been through this and lived to tell the tale?

@jemabell Everything i've read from other sleevers is that weight gain isn't unusual in the first few months and can be caused by a lot of different things such as fluid retention, muscle growth and swelling. I really think you're riding the scales too much, I don't weigh myself between appointments with my surgeon, I just focus on how my clothes fit.

Edited by ScratchCat
  • Like 2

Thanks all, hahhahah ironman, i actually made my husband hide my scales to, but anxiety kicked in and i searched untill i found them.

Bandwagon i live your bunning idea, that made me laugh!

Carly im sooo hoping this lactose thing passes but if not it somthing i will accept :(

The scale didnt move again today, ive heard it common to stall at 3 weeks post op. Today i did a lot of walking at the zoo with the kiddies so hopefully that helps get things moving.

please remember that you have had major surgery, one that alters your metabolic rate and has quite a significant amount of swelling and repair going on inside you. It is often recommended for people to stay the fuck away from the scales for the first 6-8 weeks to allow you to focus on the most important thing right now - recovery.

Send those scales on a holiday (most bathroom scales are notoriously unreliable anyway) and enjoy recovery and getting to know your new timy tummy.

• Like 3

Thanks all, yes this morning i put the scales out of reach, i feel they are doing more harm than good! Although i dont know how long i can hold out. Im keeping a excel spread sheet so i think ill still weight once a week.

• Like 1

Hi Jem there are some real good free apps online that you can also put on your phone. I check the scales all the time but my official weigh in is on a Saturday.

Hey Jem,  I do understand the urge to jump on the scales but they can make you feel so bad.  You have come a long way and taken a huge step forward to change the rest of your life for the better.  Let yourself heal and remember that small levels of weight gain can be muscle mass and fluid.  Keep the updates coming chic and stay positive :)

Thanks again everyone!  The 5 weeks pre op went so fast!

Well today is weigh in day (i weigh tuesdays as my surgery was on a tuesday )

Week 4 post op loss  .6

Start weight 142kg, current weight 120.1kg

Total loss 21.9kg

Im not going to weigh myself untill next tuesday.... i think... i hope lol but i will update again then. I think posting the weekly updates helps me stay accountable in a way.

Anyone who was started their journey around the same time id love to hear how your all progressing too!

• Like 2

Week 5 post op loss  .4 

Start weight 142kg, current weight 119.7kg

Total loss 22.3kg

(15kgs was lost on 5 weeks opti, 7.3kg since sleeve)

I cried this morning. I know a loss is a loss, but it hard to see .4 when ive tried so hard all week. I knew things would slow down but for some reason i thought they'd slow around 100kg, not now while i still have so much excess weight on me. I thought it was a stall but now im worried it something im doing.

im greatfull that there is a loss but i dont know what im doing wrong, after last weeks loss i tried alot harder to move more and be more strict on what i eat and somehow ive lost less than las week???

This weight loss game is a tricky one, i hope next week is a little better.

Your doing great Jem. keep ya chin up. stay focused, you'll get there

big hug from the big fella.. ;)

• Like 1

Have you got a dietitian that you can touch base with? maybe there's something you can fine tune..

Yeh im meeting with my surgeon and dietition on thursday. Hopefully they can helpe figure it out.. 

I really cant pin point anything that im doing thats not by the rule book. My meals are protein focused, the only carbs im having are 1 wheetbix at breakfast, only drinking water... i just dont know! Ill see what happens thursday.

ok mate. hope your follow up brings you some joy.

Don't be so hard on yourself Jem I had a small loss too at around week 5 and now I'm loosing between 1-2 kgs each week.

I know it's hard and we start to panic but the others are right stay focused it's probably just your body adjusting or maybe you built up some muscle too.

• Like 2

Week 6 post op loss  1.9kg

Start weight 142kg, current weight 117.8kg

Total loss 24.2kg

(14.9kgs was lost on 5 weeks opti, 9.3kg since sleeve)

its been a much better week, met with my surgeon and dietition who are both happy with my progress, im having some test done as the surgeon is a little concerned that i havnt had solid bowl movements in 6 weeks, but hopefully it will resolve itself.

I also realised somehow i had been taking the wrong pill (from my levelin packet ) which delayed my cycle by a few weeks , which may have been why the last 2 weeks loses wernt what i was hoping for.

Ive also started taking gym classes which feels great!

Edited by jemabell
  • Like 2

Jem

Great to hear things are going along nicely. Keep those awesome updates coming

5 weeks post and hitting the gym that too sounds promising . I'm going to Sydney to walk/jog the 14km city2 surf 10 weeks post op so your progress is comforting..

oh, and if ya gunna talk cycles... Give me a heads up.. I'll take my bloke hat off and put my nurse hat on... Lmao ;)

Edited by Ironman
  • Like 1