Lost my way

19 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hi,

I received the gastric band in 2011 and have lost 42 kg and I'm very proud of that achievement. Lately I have been struggling with my diet. I have a lot of trouble with eating sufficient amounts of food to maintain an acceptable iron level. Does anyone have any ideas recipe wise to incorporate iron rich ingredients into meals?

Posted · Report post

I don't think that you have lost your way (weigh!).  

You have achieved outstanding results weight-wise, so it doesn't appear that you have gone off a focused path weight-loss/maintenance wise.

Re your iron level.  Can you please fill us in?  Can you please post a typical days food intake?  Are you taking any supplements?  Are you under the care of a certified and experienced bariatric dietitian?  And GP?

All the best. 

Posted · Report post

well I have definitely lost my way.  This year will be eleven years since my band.  I started off at 97kg, went down to 61 after many years.  Then I developed what is call band tension, a condition which made food and liquids go down very slowly and I was getting sick.  They removed all he fluid and slowing replaced it.  I then averaged around 70 kg for a long time.  Then after a couple of years I went up to 78kg and I go from 75 to 78kg.  But in the last few months, I have not had any restrictions at all, I am starving most of the time.  I could eat double what I am eating and i do not feel good at all and getting bigger by the day even though I have cut out sugar.  I would love to get back to 70kg.

I am wondering if my band has slipped?

what do you think.

I do have an appointment with my surgeon this week, I will keep you posted.

Thank you

Zap

Posted · Report post

Doesn't sound like it has slipped otherwise you would not be able to get anything down I'd think, rather than what you've said which is that you have no restriction.. That was my understanding anyway, I thought when they slipped they went upwards above the pouch? Anyway, I'd love to hear what they say! I had mine a couple years after you and I'm scared of getting complications at some point :(

Posted · Report post

Thank you so much for you response Samantha.

I am going to the surgeon tomorrow and will post after.

I just hope I do not need surgery.

Thank you

Zappy

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

you are right Samantha

The problem is I am eating too many carbohydrates and this is causing my hunger.

Porridge and egg for breakfast/

raisin toast for morning tea

Sandwich and banana for lunch

Salad/ coleslaw/soup for afternoon tea

meat/fish/chicken potato and veggies for dinner.

Handful of grapes for supper

He suggested I eat more protein and give up the bread and potato and watch the fruit.

he gave me a half ml top up.

I had not had a fill for three years.

Last year he would not give me a fill because I was eating too many sweets, said to give up the sweets.  which I have most of the time but now too many complex carbohydrates.

Hopefully I can loose some weight now.

I am so grateful it was nothing worse.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

How's it all going?

That is such a relief that there weren't any complications. Unfortunately that is the tricky thing with the band, it will help (especially in the beginning) with portion control, but "sliders" will always be a slippery slope as they go down so easy and they're simple carbs/empty calories, not making us any fuller and preventing the weight from coming off. For me, the surgery was not enough to help me make substantial changes with my eating, currently I attend Overeaters Anonymous meetings and planning to go along to some other workshops for processed food addiction as I can't seem to keep away from these things even though I know they do me no good. So it's an ongoing process, definitely know how hard it is..

Hope it's going well for you :) Feel free to msg me anytime if you want to chat x 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

thanks Samantha,

I went back to see him as I had to have an endoscopy and colonoscopy.  All went well and he said I had adequate fill. But I was still feeling hungry and he placed another .5ml.  Still no restriction and I am still feeling hungry.  I am eating heaps of salads and coleslaw but that does not take the hunger away.  I am trying to stay off the junk food.  I have always had some degree of restriction and now all of a sudden since last May none at all.  I would be happier if i had some restriction, after all that's why we have the procedure.  

I am thinking of going to WW.  

I will see how it all goes.

How's your eating plan going?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I actually had both of those done last year too (or perhaps it was the year before) when I was struggling to lose weight (which I still am) and wondering if it was something to do with the band itself. Came back all fine and I was told I needed to focus more on what I was putting in my mouth (which is true). I think the mind is a powerful thing and even though we have the band, sometimes the head hunger can be stronger? I certainly feel like I've struggled with hunger since getting the band, after maybe about the second year or so and at times I've wondered whether the band has messed with my hunger levels because I don't remember ever feeling as ravenous before the band as I have at times since the band :/

But anyway, I don't follow an eating plan currently, I'm doing Lite n Easy so I try to stick to that as much as I can but I don't particularly like it and I don't do it everyday. 4.5 years on and still trying to figure out what works for me..

Edited by Samantha Winslet

Posted · Report post

Hi Samantha

yeh, I feel that I am at my lowest, I had been trying not to eat sweets but now I am putting on weight plus plus plus.  I do not think you are supposed to feel hungry.  My husband suggested it may be, I can not think the word but something like mind over matter. 

I read somewhere on the forum, one person stated if they feel hungry in the afternoon they are off to get a fill.  I do not think my doctor will oblige. I can only try I suppose.  

I am thinking of going to WW, or maybe going back to my surgeon as I do not have any restriction at all.  Up until last May I felt some restriction, then we went overseas and I could eat heaps.  I was surprised as when I went out or if I was having visitors, I would always get sick and I put it down to nerves.  Now the complete opposite, and I am coming up eleven years.  
I was also thinking of going on the protein shakes, the local chemist have a program and devised by the CSIRO.  I think you have two shakes and one meal and some snacks per day.  
Thanks for telling me you do not like Lite and Easy, as I am thinking if you do not like it I most certainly will not.  
Thanks for your emails. Have a good week
Zap

Posted (edited) · Report post

It's not that I don't like Lite n Easy, I think it's great for convenience and some of the meals are really nice, it's more I just get too bored if I have to eat it all the time as it does start to all taste the same after a while. And of course, a creamy pasta from a restaurant or made at home the way you like it is always going to taste better than a more bland, frozen version :P I totally understand the struggle, it's definitely a battle in the mind and sometimes it just feels too exhausting, constantly thinking and planning meals, choosing what you "should have" rather than what you feel like having. I've had that many times since getting the band where I feel like I'm trying my hardest to exercise and choose nutritious foods in balanced amounts and even though it's hard for me I do it anyway, but when you don't see results it can feel quite discouraging, like it shouldn't be that hard.

But it is hard though, if losing weight were easy, no one would be overweight :/ I guess each person just needs to find out what works for them. Another thing I'm going to do is try one of those food allergy test things where they can tell you whether any types of food don't agree with you because I've heard of people suffering health issues, not knowing why and then one day finding out they have an intolerance to something that they didn't know about and that can cause inflammation or interfere with the thyroid or lots of things that can affect weight I think. You never know, there could be something else going on that's messing with your hormones or your body..

Similar to you, I also find with my band sometimes it's so tight I can barely get a multivitamin down, other times I can eat and it's like it's not even there, so it's strange. Like everyone says, it's only a tool and at the end of the day you have to decide what do you want, how are you going to make it happen and then follow through on your plans even when you really don't want to. And be patient as it is a slow process.. I read that as well about going for a fill every time you get hungry, I don't think that's overly practical but each to their own, they probably didn't mean it literally.

I don't find WW overly helpful, I think it's a great support to have and it provides accountability and education on food and nutrition but when you are feeling your lowest (for me) going along to meetings to be told I've gained weight (again) just makes me feel even worse. In OA meetings the focus is taken off the weight loss side of things and the attention is on what is going on in your mind and your emotions that is leading you to those food behaviours. Looking at the underlying issues first in order to recover from unhealthy thoughts and behaviours around food (and faith in a higher power). It sounds quite simple but it's something that doesn't get enough attention in the diet and weight loss world, what you're doing on the outside with the food, is probably a reflection of things happening on the inside, negative self-talk around yourself and food, feeling ashamed, defeated etc and it's a vicious cycle. For me, I know that I want to see results but I also want to be able to eat whatever I want. And it doesn't work that way. If I'm honest I don't really want to make long-term changes, I just want the weight to come off now so I can go back to eating what I want to eat again. So I know it's my thoughts and attitudes around food that keep tripping me up, even when I have the best of intentions :(

Perhaps if you are feeling at rock bottom with food/weight, you should (gonna sound crazy but) take the pressure of for a while. Give yourself a time period, maybe a month, where you promise yourself not to stress about losing weight for that time. Put the scale out of sight. And during that time maybe just keep a journal or something of what you're eating and also how you're feeling around the food. Not with the goal of losing weight but purely just to observe what your food behaviours are and at the end of the month see if there's anything you can take away from it. Or if that sounds silly maybe adjusting your expectations to start with something smaller, like maybe cutting back on sugar or increasing your water intake, or substituting something you love that's bad for you with a healthier version? All the things we know we need to do, but doing them is the hard part..

I hope you start to feel a bit better soon! xx

Edited by Samantha Winslet

Posted · Report post

Hi Samantha

I once went to OA's many many years ago but I left because I did not want to face my demons. Even today I do not want to face them but they torture me at times with my flash backs.  

I should and will write what I eat and listen to how I am feeling.  Today I was gardening before lunch and I was not starving so that was a nice change.

so maybe the solution is gardening before lunch. Even so I think I will go on that CSIRO diet with the two shakes and one meal per day.  

We are going out for lunch as one of our daughter's  are returning home from Europe and I will wait until after that which will be in early August.  I do not want to go out and breaking my diet.

I will let you know how I     go or when I start.

Difficult for me to give up sugar but I try to cut back until I have a piece of cake.  Most of the time I do not have more than six teaspoons of sugar per day.  

The word I was looking for the other days is psychological, My husband suggested feeling like I am starving may be psychological.  I thought it may be possible but I have been feeling ravenous.  Surely having that feeling can not be psychological but you never know.

Our eldest daughter is also struggling with her weight, she had the best figure before she had her children and so so good looking. Said she now has three meals per day and drinks water in between.  Our other daughter is so so thin but then she hardly ever eats, when you visit you loose weight up there lol. And our other daughter is just right.  So we are all different and all need to find our way.

Thank you for all your time Samantha, i hope you continue to do well and be happy on your journey.

Love Zap

Posted · Report post

It's very interesting and I can relate to all of that. It's the same in my family, my sister is very slim and athletic, I've always wondered why do I seem to be the one that struggles so much? She seems to live on salmon and spinach and that's what she enjoys eating. She does love chocolate but I think she eats mainly dark chocolate. And I look around and feel envious of others who seem to lose weight much more easily than me or don't seem to struggle with food the way I do. I think your husband is right, there is a huge aspect to weight loss/gain that is psychological, the physical aspect is just the tip of the iceberg for what is going on underneath. I'm in the same boat as you, feeling lost etc at the moment because it's "hard" to eat healthy and exercise most of the time. But the alternative is also hard, suffering health issues due to decades of eating poorly and not getting enough activity, feeling "big" and uncomfortable/self-conscious, thinking about food/weight all the time, it's no way to live :( 

I went to an RFA meeting last night which is Recovery from Food Addiction. Similar to OA, same program/steps etc but it goes a step further with it's primary purpose being to help people abstain from the addictive substances of sugar, wheat and flour. They believe these substances affect certain people differently and trigger a biochemical response that causes addiction and dependency, exactly the same as how alcohol affects alcoholics. They believe (same as AA) that the only real way to lead a happy and healthy life free of the addiction is to abstain. I nearly ran out of there screaming! A life without those things, can't even get my head around it :/ I don't think I "binge" particularly but I definitely eat more processed food than fresh. And I can never stick to a diet because I always crave something I shouldn't have. But people who are living abstinently say their lives are so much better and they are so much happier being free from the compulsive thoughts and behaviours around those foods. And being a healthy weight is just a bi product that comes naturally with it. I highly doubt it's something I could realistically do but it's making me wonder.. Over the years I've tried Lite n Easy, Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, Optifast and other meal replacements, Garcinia Cambogia and other supplements, prescription medication for weight loss such as Duromine and Orlistat, I've tried weight loss hypnotherapy, I've exercised regularly at gyms or other fitness, I've had WLS 4.5 years ago and none of those things have gotten me on track to a healthier lifestyle long-term. I can lose weight in the short-term and feel like I'm making progress, but for some reason I always return to unhealthy foods and the weight comes back on seemingly overnight, and then I'm despairing again.  

Anyway, my plan is to get back into the gym, and just try to start cutting back on processed foods as much as I can, pay close attention to what I'm putting in my mouth and if I still can't seem to feel any better or move forward then perhaps I might need to look at "quitting" those things altogether, we'll see. Sorry if I've made you feel worse and not better! xxx

Posted · Report post

Hi Samantha

I have tried cold turkey with sugar until its someones birthday and have a piece of cake or cheesecake and then you are back on the sugar and this was after five months.

I weighted my self this morning thinking I would not be too bad but unfortunately and to my disappointment I am growing.  I really need to have restriction like I had some time ago.

I think I will go back and see about another fill.

yes I am also like you loose it then back on again. I think the key is no no sugar like AA but difficult to do.

Even so, you sound positive, good luck at the gym and restricting processed foods.

let me know how you go.

Love Zap

Posted · Report post

It's very hard to go cold turkey with things which is why I suppose people say better to do it in small steps and gradually as you'll more likely be able to incorporate it as a long-term lifestyle change rather than something to do in the short-term to get the weight off, and then it comes right back on once you "fall off the wagon" (story of my life! :() . I know that I can shift the weight but I know how hard I have to work to see results and a lot of the time it just seems "too hard". The hypnotherapist I saw actually told me to stop using the phrase "lose weight" as things we "lose" we usually hope to "find" again and subconsciously we do the same with weight according to her, she said she uses the term "let go of" weight rather than lose, as it's more permanent..

Thanks for saying I sound positive! I don't feel it at all, but if you've got a good attitude towards it then that's half the battle I think.. I haven't weighed myself in a while because I don't want to know. I could probably guess given the tightness of clothes atm but I can't face the number right now, I would probably cry if I got on a scale right now.. I just need to start heading back in the right direction and then at least that's something to feel good about. It's an ongoing struggle! Good luck to you as well, let me know how you go with fills etc.. I've kind of given up with fills, I was never able to get to the "green zone", I found it was always too tight or too loose, even now, sometimes it's loose/relaxed and other times I get really bad stuck moments so I just don't know.. xxx

Posted · Report post

Hi Samantha

I am in a big rut, and getting worse each day.  I am going to do something after next week as we are booked to go out to dinner as a family and I want to be able to eat.

In the meantime I may phone about getting a fill, I think I would be happier with more of a fill and only if I have restriction.  at the moment and after two fills I do not have any restrictions.

My surgeon is going on holidays for one month,  I do not know when or if he will  have  someone covering him.

How did you go at the gym?  I hate the gym, these days I have a big garden and I go out there but I am sick at the moment so I haven't been out there today and yesterday but once well I will go out there.  'My surgeon told me to go for 40 minute walks each day, I started to but found 40 minutes  too long and tiring.  I think I need to make it a priority and work up to the 40 minutes, this way I will not get as tired and be able to do some gardening.

What your hypnotherapist told you about 'let go of' makes sense.  I went to a hypnotherapist many may years ago, like you I have tried just about everything.  

I will phone about the fill tomorrow and see what happens.

All the best

Love Zap

Posted · Report post

Totally understand how hard it is.. :( How did you go with phoning about the fill? I haven't been going to the gym regularly at all, have been flat out with family/personal stuff, hopefully from next week onwards I'll be getting back into a routine.. Sometimes I enjoy working out but most of the time I don't..

Posted · Report post

Hi Samantha

thanks your connecting Samantha.

yes I am the same I do not like the gym, I think by the time I get there I could have walked plus I prefer gardening and walking.

No I haven't phoned to have a fill, I have been so sick with the flu since last Friday. getting worse with the cough.  At night I am nearly asleep and then I wake up thinking I can not breathe.  I eventually went to the doctor today ,she told me to take Sudafed and that has helped a little. 

even so it has not stopped me from not eating unfortunately. I think I definitely need a fill.  I have been missing going out into the garden, the sun has been out even though today it was a little cloudy.  

I have been studying though, doing  a book keeping course, I eventually want to help our daughter with the books some day in the future.

Do you want to do a deal?

I will see about getting and you choose something?

What do you think?

Love lina

Posted · Report post

Hi Samantha

thanks your connecting Samantha.

yes I am the same I do not like the gym, I think by the time I get there I could have walked plus I prefer gardening and walking.

No I haven't phoned to have a fill, I have been so sick with the flu since last Friday. getting worse with the cough.  At night I am nearly asleep and then I wake up thinking I can not breathe.  I eventually went to the doctor today ,she told me to take Sudafed and that has helped a little. 

even so it has not stopped me from not eating unfortunately. I think I definitely need a fill.  I have been missing going out into the garden, the sun has been out even though today it was a little cloudy.  

I have been studying though, doing  a book keeping course, I eventually want to help our daughter with the books some day in the future.

Do you want to do a deal?

I will see about getting and you choose something?

What do you think?

Love lina

Sorry for not getting back to this! How have the last couple weeks been? Sure, we can do a deal :) I need all the help I can get! :P