Sign in to follow this  
Laggy

168kg Clothes to Throw or Keep?

I am sitting here currently preparing for Surgery in 3 weeks time.  I am getting my house in order so there is nothing for me to do when I get home.  I have always loved clothes despite my being 100kgs overweight, and I do have far more than I should.  I want everything to go really well, and I want to be positive about the whole experience.  Right now I want to make room in my wardrobe and drawers and am wondering whether I hang on to my 168kg clothes or start to get rid of them.  I want to believe I will lose a lot of weight in the first 6 months, but am scared i won't.  What does everyone think?  Throw or keep my 168kg clothes?

Thanks for your support

Too Many Clothes and not enough space :unsure:

• Like 1

keep an out fit, for you to have as comparison. Once it doesn't fit throw it.

• Like 2

Keep one throw the rest. I have spent weeks doing this I'm now down to my last fitting clothes hoping to make it through winter before shopping for new stuff

• Like 3

I would slowly start to get rid of them. Donating them to charity as millymollymandy suggested is a wonderful idea. 

• Like 2

Mine went Charity-not a great variety in plus sizes in op shops and someone will appreciate them.

• Like 3

Ditch them to an Op Shop, or maybe put them up on forums such as this:  http://www.bandingtogether.com.au/community/forum/65-clothes-swap-meet/  Unless folk live locally, and can pick them up from you, if they are prepared to pay for postage, there will be some incredibly grateful folk out there.  I am often on the look out for clothes for my my more generous sized friends.

No point in hanging onto your old clothes.  IMHO - it is better to look forward (and set goals) than to look back.  IMHO. this is where complacency can set it in.  (You know?  when you think that "I can just do this", "I can just do that".  I am not promoting certain forums, but I started up one early this year called "Accountability"  when I had to be.  Accountable.

Me?  I am only a short-arse, Height of the average sized 12 year old child.  And I have varied  from my heaviest (BMI 35.something in 2000, and size 18) to a BMI of around 24-25 by following a low-carb diet in 2002-3, size ?10?); and gained it back again ... :(  (I had a huge appetite and intake).

Anywhoo, back up to about a size 14 (weight 74 kg, and BMI 32. something) when I had my appointment with my GP, and then the Bariatric GP and Surgeon December 2015  (I had also a lot of co-mordities ... ).

Well, I did a huge amount of research, and had 'the gastric sleeve' early Feb 2015.  No regrets.

I have given away HEAPS of clothes.  I am so happy to do this for folks who have had Weight Loss Surgery (WLS) and are rapidly undergoing weight and size changes.  I have passed on clothes to folks who I have met on this forum, and on others.   Not to mention in my own private life.  I am also an Op Shop haunter.  And I appreciate what I pick up from them  (I am "unwaged").  

Your clothes will be much appreciated by someone.  "Share the love". Give them away.  Ditch them.  They will not be part of your new life post bariatric surgery.

Me?  I am now into my third year post-op gastric sleeve, and  - keeping in mind I am only a short-arse -  Target's and "Witchery" (Op Shop lol)  womens size 4 pants are too big in the waist for me.  Top-wise, I am probably about a womens size 6.  'Cos I am so short, I find that kids clothes suit me better.  Boys - age 8-10, girls age 10-12.  This is from someone who was a women's size 18 ... 

But weight-wise/clothes-wise.  Everyday, every meal, every craving.  I HAVE to make the choice as to which is best for me nutritionally, low-carb; and which would suit my craving.

I KNOW that there is a woman out there who would totally appreciate the clothes that you are going to pass on.

Wishing you all the best.

• Like 1

Thank you all so much, I will give them away and just keep enough for work.  I am looking forward to having a whole new wardrobe in the future :)

• Like 1

Laggy, don't throw away your clothes too soon. Most of us wear our old clothes for as long as we can as we go through sizes so quickly. I wasted money on buying a few lovely new clothes for work only to have to donate them to The Salvos too. Buy a few key pieces that you can mix and match. As you get lower in weight, a loss of  2 or 3 kilos can be the difference between clothes fitting nicely and clothes being loose - as opposed to when I was wearing size 26 and I could lose or put on 10kg and still wear the same clothes. Have fun trying on clothes as you lose weight but be very careful of buying too much until your weight settles (says she whose wardrobes are over flowing again even though I'm still 10kg off goal weight!!!)

• Like 1

Thanks Millymollymandy, you are right, I am size 30 so there is a long way to go.