Bad stories on the band???

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

HI,

I'm booked for the 19th July and have joined the Facebook support groups,

I put a post up yesterday to see if anyone had had the band as everyone is talking only of the sleeve or RNY.

Everyone is telling me it is the biggest and worst mistake of their lives.

I dont qualify for anything else.

What should I do. I need something?

Edited by Tinker

Posted (edited) · Report post

What you will find, both on here and other groups is that the people who have been successful with their bands tend to drop off the net-it's done it's job and you need to be aware that things can go wrong with any form of WLS.  Yes it's a pain to go for fills or check ups, yes you really have to be committed in order to lose weight but if it were a really bad thing it would have been withdrawn from use by now.  I've had my band for 7 years now and apart from the yucky stuff ups like eating too faster eating the wrong food (My big baddie is chocolate and ice cream)  and i'm about 100gm off my goal weight.  (yes it's taken a long time-but there were other health reasons and meds that make me put on weight as well as bad food choices.)   There are people who've had a sleeve and then gone back to eating the wrong food and put on all the weight they've initially lost.  

While I know that Kazbo is fiercely anti-band due to all the problems she was unlucky enough to have-not to mention the surgeries associated with removal and sleeve- there are still some for whom it's worked fairly well by obeying all the rules.  The surgeons love the sleeve because they don't have to do much follow up-it a more set and forget- they don't have to be bothered with follow ups (which for me kept me are on track).

This forum was initially started for lap bands (by a young doctor who had great success with a band and wanted to help others in the same position) and has gradually moved more into sleeves and a lot of the camaraderie that went with the forum is lost.  There used to be meet ups with other 'banders' and face to face exchanges with tips. 

No surgery is a magic fix and I'm a secret bander (no-one other than hubby and daughter know) so coming here was a good way to share the journey. Be very sure it's what you want and be ready to change you whole way of eating before you make the decision to have any WLS and the right one for you.

Do I believe it's the worst mistake of my life-absolutely not! I'm sure I'd be 150kg by now if i hadn't done it.  Did i have problems along the way before getting the right amount of fil-sure did.  lIf I had my time over again would I choose a sleeve-maybe-but I've also read enough horror stories of sleeve and gastric bypass to know that it still comes back to me to lose the weight by making the right choices to go in my mouth and the brain needs to be engaged for that to happen.  Initially I did have problems with things like bread and steak (and one particularly bad memory of a sausage sizzle at Bunnings-after 6 years I still haven't bough another one!!) but I can pretty much eat anything now and eating out doesn't hold any fears for me either. I don't drink soft drink (even diet ones), alcohol and keep my treats to a minimum both in size and how often I fall off the wagon but I'm healthier than I've been in years and a lot more active and pretty happy with where I am today.

Edited by Ozchick
7 people like this

Posted · Report post

I have the band and have had it since November 2012. And I love it. I am currently at my surgeons goal weight and I'm 22 weeks pregnant. So I'm pretty stoked with that. Don't get me wrong there are days I wish it wasn't there but the great days make up for the odd bad one. I did have my port flip within the first 3 months but that was a simple fix. I can't eat bread, cakes or anything similar, so I eat wraps and avoid the other stuff which isn't good for you anyway. Some meat is a struggle. I have had plenty of stuck moments which resulted in a PB (productive burp- bringing back up the stuck food) from eating the wrong thing or to fast. I know as soon as I swallow that it was a bad idea. I have been in the red zone and needed fill removed. 

I had the option of band or sleeve. I went band as I was reversable and if something better than the band or sleeve comes along in the future I have the option to change to it. You need to keep up with the visits to the clinic for check ups and fill/unfill. My clinic is 45min to a Hour away so that's a pain, but worth it. My clinic told me I had to read 'the lapband solution' I think it was called. Before I could sign any paperwork and I had to attend a seminar at the clinic. 

Like said above, a lot of the time once the surgery is done and/or successful people tend not to come back onto the forum, so you end up getting a lot of negative feedback. Your best bet it to have a good chat with your clinic. When I was making my decision I came on here and just read thru a few posts, asked a couple of questions. But you need to listen to some advice but ignore most of it. It's like anything the bad outcomes are the ones you hear most. There are plenty of success stories on here with both surgeries. Good Luck 

6 people like this

Posted · Report post

Hi Tinker,

I too have a band that was inserted in November 2015 (wow, was it really that long ago?)  My surgeon is wrapped with my results as am I.  Not quite at my goal weight, due to having to remove fill for a number of months following a hernia repair.  It is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself!  Prior to the LapBand I had trouble moving, strong pain in my back and knees, my blood work looked horrendous, the list goes on and on.  Since the operation I have lost a significant amount of weight, my back and knee pain have gone, my blood work looks great and I feel fantastic.  I can and do exercise daily and eat almost all types of food in small quantities, very slowly.    It's not a magic pill, but lots of hard work for a very great result.  I haven't had to have many fills but work closely with my surgeon.  I went and saw a dietitian called Helen Bauzon prior to the operation and she provided me with heaps of reading matter including "The Gastric Band Nutrition Solution" and "the weight loss shopping guide" both of which have served me well.  

I wish you well on your journey and look forward to hearing how you go on the 19th July.  Remember all surgeries have their complications and be kind to yourself.

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

I am one of the horror stories... :( 

I had the band put in on the 12th June 2017.. I didnt sleep for 7 nights after surgery. I was literally losing my mind. I could even keep down sips of water without it coming back up. I also developed this terrible cough from the surgery which would not let down.. Went back to my surgen and he said there was fluid in my band which i saw him withdraw, he said nothing was in it now.. NOTHING SHOULD OF BEEN IN THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!! . He said I should be better now.. Wrong!!

I had to go into emergency a week after surgery as I was that dehydrated,visual hallucinations, constant vomiting. I literally was in a living nightmare. They also found some air that was from surgery trapped in my chest and I had to stay over night as they wanted to monitor it. 

2 weeks after the surgery I still wasnt able to hold anything down. Back to surgen and he said everything that was happening isnt normal . I was one on the 1/6000 unlucky cases. My body just wasn't ajusting to the foreign object placed inside me. 

3 weeks after surgery and i still cannot keep anything down that is thicker than soup. I am soooo over liquids!!!!

I have made the decision to get this thing out of me. 8 days to go and counting !!!!!

I was not prepared for all the mental / emotional struggles that came along with this surgery. I put it down as one of my biggest regrets in life... 

on the flip side though I have lost 12kgs yay me, by the time surgery comes around I'll proberly drop another 5-6kg 

I try to look at the positive experience in all this... I have given myself a great kick start to reach ing goal weight.. instead of being 40kg from goal weight , I'll be 15 kg away . 

I understand the key to this weight loss thing... small portions ( no problem now my stomach has shrunk down to a golf ball) and being active !!! Thats it... 

So my experience was a bad and regretful one. 

Hopefully yours will be the opposite :/ 

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

Thank you all for you input I really appreciate it. HUGE HUGE step. Hope Melty it all goes well for you too

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

5 years a Bandit and love mine to but there are the days I wish it was gone but without the band I'd now be pushing up daisies.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I've lost 25kg with my band and kept it off, sure another 15 off would be perfect but every single day I am so glad I made the decision to get the band, its been a godsend. Yes you need to do the work, but for me, just stabilising my weight has been so worth it. I had been up and down 30kilos three times before I got it and I could never ever keep it off, the band has hellped my portion control which was my overall problem, now it's up to me to give up chocolate to get the next 15kilos off... might take a while, but that's ok, I'm far healthier than I was. Do it for you! 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

it's no secret the troubles I have had with my lap band - I won't bore you with the details as you can read them yourself.

A good friend of mine had a lap band around 18 months before me. She had it fitted, she had 2-3 adjustments and she has lost 40kgs and maintained it. Her experience with the lap band is vastly different to mine, it was on the basis of her good results that I decided to get a lap band in the first place.