claire.m

Paying without insurance - Geelong

I feel like im not being taking seriously...

I got a referral to see Darrin Goodall-wilson and he wouldnt take me because i didnt have hospital cover and wanted to pay outright. 

Now i have an appointment with Matthew Leong and they are hesitant to take me and keep advising me to get hospital cover, I plan to but i just want surgery asap. I have the money. 

Help!!? Has anyone paid upfront? who did you go through? 

Not many surgeons will accept patients without PHI.  You always need to think of worse cast scenario.  What if you end up in ICU etc?  That can be very costly.

If you can access your super (and if you qualify), I think Matthew accepts patients BUT I think they still prefer you have PHI as back up.

They are both excellent surgeons and they're not going to take your money just because you want it done ASAP.  It doesn't work that way.

Hi There. 

I've had the surgery without insurance - are you still needing assistance with this? :) If so feel free to send me a message!

I paid for mine without insurance - what a rort insurance is.

I've been working 30 years and was happy to save up and pay for mine outright. I'm still thousands in front by not having paid for insurance all these years. 

Sure, there are circumstances where insurance is worth it for the insured, but for the generally healthy person, its a complete waste of your money.

I've had an insurance quote for me for $1500/year. My op cost me $13,000. If you claim through insurance, isn't there still around $6000 gap you have to pay? Not to mention a 1 or 2 year wait if you're new before they'll cover your surgery. So where's the saving in having insurance? If something goes wrong you'll get the same treatment you'd get in a public hospital, you'll get whatever doctor is available - but there'll be more costs out of pocket for you - as I understand it.

Thanks, but no thanks. Save your money and pay for it, or see if you can access your super money. Don't waste your time waiting the waiting time for insurance though.

Apologies, I'm just in a ranty mood.

• Like 1

claire.m

So what is the outcome of your surgery?