August Sleeve Buddies ???

19 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I'm booked in to be sleeved on the 23rd of August and I'm currently 1 week into my 3 week Optifast phase. 

Now it is only a couple of weeks away it is all starting to get very real and the nerves and excitement have definitely kicked in.  

I would love to hear from anyone else who is gearing up to be sleeved this month 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Hi Mandy

I was sleeved on 2nd August. Got home from hospital on Saturday. Overall things have been going pretty well. I did two weeks of Optifast pre op and now on free fluids. Keeping myself busy with soups and custards. Not having any trouble with water as long as I keep the sips 

Posted · Report post

Hi Mandy, 

my turn is the 18th. Also on the optifast stage. Gee the first 4 days were terrible but I feel awesome now.  My only gripe would be that the doctor I have only seen once-the receptionist have told me more.

im getting done my Dr Abid and would to hear from anyone else who has had him.

enjoy the ride Mandy. 

Posted · Report post

Im waiting to go into theatre now. 

Nervous! 

Posted · Report post

Hi Working Mum

All the very best for yur surgery today. See you on the new side of life. Let us know how you go.

Posted · Report post

Great to hear from you guys. Lovely to know I am not alone :) 

dreamsandvision - How is it all going?  Healing well? How are you going with fluids only? 

Can't wait- We are only a few days apart. The optifast can be rough, though it is getting easier. Lunch at 2pm is still rough though lol. 

Working Mum- How did it all go? 

Posted · Report post

getting sleeved on the 14th!! optifast is HARD but i keep reminding myself it's worth it :)

Posted · Report post

Hi all

The optifast stage is hard but so worth it. I am one week post op today. weigh in day is today and I am 3 kg down this week. I used the Optifast stage to really try and get myself in the right headspace. it is about learning to make the right decisions now and not relying on what I have always done in the past. What I have done in the past hasn't worked - or I wouldn't have had to go down this path. Now is the  time to learn the new habits that will take me forward on my new way of eating. I know there is lots of hard work ahead as I get the best out of this tool. 

The fluid stage starts off as so good but I am ready for some different textures now. I can move onto the purée food tomorrow which I will do but go very carefully. I have been making soups thinned down and homemade custard. 

Keep strong those on Optifast - new beginnings are in sight. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Hi guys. 

Its been an on and off time.  

Some discomfort and the fact I have to remain close to the hospital for a week is making me homesick. 

Im getting a funny feeling that feels like my tummy rumbling from hunger but I know that can't be right! Probably gas or reflux or something else.,

Still very tired. 

I can't wait to go home Tuesday!  

Posted · Report post

How is everyone going? 

I think Optifast is getting easier.....am I going crazy?  lol. 

I'm finding I don't need my last shake of the day and I'm no longer looking for food in between meals. Still can't wait for this stage to be over but at least it is a little bit more manageable. 

I also started adding a gentle walk to my daily routine. Time and length vary depending on the day and what is going on. While it probably won't do much at this stage it will be a good routine to be in for afterwards...i hope. 

Hi Geov, the 14th? only a couple of days now. How are you feeling? I'm still 10 days out and I am a mess emotions already lol. 

Dreamsandvision- Congratulations on your progress so far. Can't wait to see how far you go :) . You are definitely right about this is just a tool and there is a lot of hard work ahead of us. But with the right mindset (which you seem to have) we will be successful. Enjoy being off the fluid stage :) 

Working Mum- It must be so hard being away from home, going off your name I'm assuming you have kids. Being away from them must make it even harder. I hope the next few days go quickly and you are at home with your family again.   

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Hello. I have been trying to work up the courage to type this. The reality is sinking in and im scared $#@%less Getting sleeved on the Sunshine Coast on the 22nd August.

I am sooooo very anxious. Like i hope i dont run from theatre before they tie me to the bed ;)

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Hi All

Welcome Kooter. Yes it is one of the scariest things I have done but already - 12 days post op I am feeling confident that it is one of my best decisions. 

Geov - Good luck for tomorrow. we will be keen to hear from you after.

Glad you are going okay working Mum - it must be so hard being away from home. Not long now til Tuesday.

Can't wait - your turn is coming up. Hope you are still going well.

Good job Mandy with your Optifast - yes I think it does get easier - maybe it just kills your taste buds. Your time will be here soon.

I am back to work tomorrow. Not sure I am ready but might not never be ready Haha. I haven't told anyone about my surgery except my husband and two daughters so will need to think of ways to cover my eating and lack of energy. 

Posted · Report post

Hi All,

i am also an August sleever with my op set down for 15th (2 days time) in Canberra.  I have religiously followed the Optifast diet and to date have lost 4.3 kg. Am wondering if this is enough. Not sure what else I can do have drunk all the water, exercised every day and have not eaten anything that was not on the list given to me by the dietician. 

Not really nervous about the procedure only qualms are the  inserting of the cannula in my hand (bad experience many years ago) and injecting myself with Clexane for ten days after.

i have been very open about what I am doing - so have lots of support.

well onwards and downwards 

Posted · Report post

I seem to have a good day then a bad day. 

In my attempt to save money and get a cheap hotel I think I may have picked the worst one! Filthy. No light in one room and have killed 6 cockroaches so far! Still, it has a washer and dryer and a small kitchenette to heat my soups and make my shakes.

I'm missing my kids terribly. 

Went shopping yesterday and walked around a fair bit but today I couldn't even muster the energy to leave the room! 

I see my surgeon tomorrow and then I'm home the next day thankfully. Yay! 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Good Luck today Geov, let us know how it all goes :)

Welcome Tralee and Good Luck for tomorrow. I wouldn't worry to much about the weight loss as the optifast is about shirking your liver to make the surgery easier and safer, the weight loss is just an added bonus. 

How was your first day back at work dreamsandvision ? I'm worried I haven't taken enough time off myself. I work in childcare and while there isn't much lifting in my room it is a high energy job. 

Sorry to hear your hotel room is so horrible Working Mum. That is one of the things I hate most about travelling, never really knowing if the place you have chosen is any good. Thankfully you are home soon :) 

Welcome Kooter. Our surgery is just a day apart :)  I completely get where you are coming from my nerves are in overdrive at the moment. I am just trying to focus on other stuff at the moment. Easier said then done though unfortunately lol.  

As for me, I realised last night that my water intake has been shocking. I have never been a big water drinker in the first place. So I have really really struggled to even come close to the 2L mark. So for the next 9 days that is my goal and focus even if I have to set specific times to drink I will get that 2L of water. 

Posted · Report post

oh Working mum, I feel for you. Missing your kids :( But you will be home tomorrow and like I keep telling myself, our children will benefit greatly from having a healthier mum so its all going to be okay.

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone. I only have to do 1 week of Optifast so today is the first day of the rest of my life. I am still about to pass out from nerves about the general anaesthetic but my support Posse of sisters, best friend and Mum have been pillars of strength for me.

Please keep posting those of you who are ahead of me, you are a great inspiration.

GO AUGUST SLEEVERS! :)

Posted · Report post

Hi all

This group is growing and hard to keep track of everyone. 

Geov - hope all went well for you yesterday

Welcome Tralee - hope your surgery today went smoothly - will be keen to hear from both you and Geov when you are feeling up to it.

working mum - hope you got the all clear to travel home tomorrow. You must be so excited to see your family - and sleep in your own bed.

Kooter - hope your first day of Optifast went well. it does get easier around day 4.

Mandy I found I tried to practice sipping my water to get ready for the post op period amd also not drink with my meals. It made me more conscious of when and how much I was drinking. Now I am post op I find that has helped as you do need to plan your fluids as waiting 30 mins after a drink to eat and then no drinking for 69 mins after eating you have to conscious drink. I take a water bottle everywhere now so if I arrive somewhere and I know I will  eat something then I will sip water all the way there.

Can't wait  -your turn will be here before you know it. It will be great when we are all post op and can help each other along the way.

I went back to work this week. It was tough but doable. Glad tomorrow is a public holiday in Brisbane so can rest up before finishing off the week. 

Take care - be kind to yourselves 

Posted · Report post

How are we all going August Sleeve Buddies? 

Hope everyone is going well. 

My op is in 5 days and the nerves have truly kicked in. But I am doing well with my water intake now and I even think it is helping a lot with my weight loss on Optifast so all in all I'm happy and waiting for the big day. 

It was over a year ago that I took my first step on this journey and I can't believe that I am now only 5 days away. 

Posted · Report post

Hi all,

well now out of hospital and home sweet home. Surgery went well only concern was when a blood vessel between the stomach and spleen disintegrated before the surgeon could get to it, but all is good now. I spent quite some time in recovery because blood pressure and body temp dropped but that is not unusual for me. I needed very little pain relief and if I do a couple of Panadol nips it in the bud. Glad I do not have to continue with the TED stockings and just continue with the Clexane injections for the next ten days. Husband got instructions at hospital this morning as there is no way I could inject myself.

i am having no problems tolerating the fluids and have had a variety over the last couple of days. Really enjoyed my first latte in three weeks when I got home.

I am not weighing myself until Tuesday, which will be a week from the procedure.

All the best Mandy for next week. 

Starting weight: 117.7 kg

Sleeve day: 112.7 kg (5 kg loss)