band revision

8 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hi All I'm new to this site signed up awhile ago but never posted on here, so I currently have a band which I am having removed next month, which seems so far away at the moment but with a toddler and baby at home I'm sure this time will fly by!

My Question is, has anyone here gone from Band to Sleeve with the recommended wait time in-between and put on a lot of weight ? and how was your excess skin after weight loss? I have always had a weight problem, lost 25kgs in my 20's through diet and very hard core gym workouts, but once that stopped the weight came back with vengeance! now almost 20yrs later the skin is not so supple LOL!

my banded weight was 96kg in 2011 and got down to 75kg 2012 then over the years have had problems with getting stuck and currently have port pain and can eat way to much and am now at 88kg and feeling terrible and with that comes all the emotional head stuff I'm sure you have experienced too.

My doc has said that he would be happy with 65kgs and I think that is great as the lightest I ever weighed was 63kg with hard core diet and exercise. being banded then going to sleeve I know the weight loss will be slower so am hoping that I wont look like a lot of people I know who have had a "virgin" sleeve and look very sick due to the rapid weight loss, if you have experienced this I would love to hear about your journey from band to sleeve.  

Husband is very supportive about but not so sure the family will be as they didn't want me to have band in first place, last year I thought about revision but wasn't committed to doing it and not so sure in my head and heart but this time round I know in myself that this is the right choice for me, see I always put others feelings and opinions before my own and now is the time to start think and doing things for me!

Posted · Report post

Very rarely a surgeon will proceed straight to sleeve after band removal as the stomach will need to heal.  I think minimum time between ops is 3 months but that'll all depend on the amount of damage.

I know of a few people who did gain weight in the interim and I'm sure the surgeons expect that, now that there is nothing stopping you from eating everything, well, you know what I mean.

I'm a sleever and lost 60kg and have since had a tummy tuck (3kg removed) and breast reduction/lift (approx 800gm removed).  No amount of exercise was going to shrink the tummy.  Arms and thighs still have excess skin but I'm a bit iffy about having them done, plus I don't have the funds at the moment.

I found my weight loss to be rapid in the first 6-12 months, then kinda slowed down.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I maintained my weight for the first 6 weeks before my weight started to creep up. I think I gained around 8kgs or so in the 17 weeks period between band removal and sleeving. It all came off during the optishit stage so no biggie. 

Weight loss has been slow and stopped after 5 months of being sleeved - bummer! I would encourage you to explore ALL your options (including bypass which seems to be more effective for ex-bandits). Many band-sleevers experience slow/poor weightloss results (as compared to virgin sleevers) and reflux is very common because the lap band has made the stomach lazy. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Thanks Kazbo and Nessa1977. I am waiting the 9 weeks between procedures my doc has minimum 8 weeks wait. So band out next month then november for sleeve. I did realise that weight loss won't be as rapid as virgin sleeve but that's ok with me. Doc talked about other procedures but said this is the next step. I really don't want tho do bypass for me i think that is too extreme. Like i said before i would be happy at 65kgs if i don't get that much off then in high 60's low 70's is still good.  Thanks for your feed back ladies.

Also had unfill today so now i only have 3ml in band don't know if this helps not being so restricted before it comes out. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

there is still a restriction from the band being in place - it takes time for the stomach to unpleat once the lap band is removed. I had band-like restriction for around 2 weeks before it started to settle down and feel less 'bandy'...I took the time to enjoy fresh fruit, vegetables, salads and chicken breast in that time - I had forgotten how much I enjoyed and missed them.

Good luck - I hope it all goes well for you...you seriously will not know yourself once that lap band is gone!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Thanks kazbo i am very much looking forward to eat things like raw carrot apples pears etc and a nice steak! Even if it is only for a few months. I am tired of this roller coaster of loss and gain. Almost put back on all of what i lost 5yrs ago. Mind you in these  past three yrs i have had two babies!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Hey I had band revision to sleeve but 

I had lap band out and waited two years to be sleeved . In that time I did lots of reasearch and then came to the conclusion that I wanted the sleeve . I put on about 20 kilos but I ate everything and anything . 

I had my sleeve done about 6 weeks ago and it's the best decision I ever made . I had reflux when my band was taken out and in the first few weeks after the sleeve  but now I don't have it anymore . 

So far 25 kilos and counting ... :)

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Thanks missash i have been thinking about out now for awhile lady year i was in two minds about it but now i know it is the right decision for me.  My husband is vey supportive but not so sure about rest of family. not told them yet! Im 39 and have two kids but sometimes you still dread telling parents these things! They didn't want me to have band in 6 yrs ago so  they totally will not like this decision, but i am all grown up now capable of making my own decisions. I think even if you don't like people's choices u can still be supportive in that choice but not like it if that makes sense?