Bliss

Considering Sleeve after Band removed 3 years ago.

Hi guys, I had a Lap band previously and after initially losing weight I actually ended up heavier than when I had it put in. I constantly got food stuck and found it so hard to just eat healthy.  I just wanted to eat an apple or some chicken you know.

I'm just curious to know if with the sleeve you can eat solid food without all the regurgitation.  I know that you can't physically fit as much in, but can you eat solid food and steak etc.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, there should be no issue in consuming food post sleeve.  Of course you still have to be careful, especially in the early stages.  That's one reason I didn't get the band, I love my steak and pasta too much to give it up, although I still have them, just smaller amounts.

• Like 2

Hi guys, I had a Lap band previously and after initially losing weight I actually ended up heavier than when I had it put in. I constantly got food stuck and found it so hard to just eat healthy.  I just wanted to eat an apple or some chicken you know.

I'm just curious to know if with the sleeve you can eat solid food without all the regurgitation.  I know that you can't physically fit as much in, but can you eat solid food and steak etc.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Bliss

There is a recovery period following the sleeve - I found that eating 'hard to digest' food such as steak or coleslaw was quite painful for the first few months so it was trial and error.

I have had absolutely no issues with regurgitation/blockages, etc like you get with the band simply because the sleeve works like a normal stomach, just on a smaller scale. 

You have the benefit of having been so long since your lap band removal that most surgeons would probably consider you to be similar to a virgin sleever and a lower risk of complications than most ex-bandits. GO YOU!

• Like 2

Awesome, Thanks for your replies.  I have an appointment next week to discuss options.  My only other concern is reflux as I have a small reflux issue already and the gastroenterologist said a bypass might be better.  The bypass scares me though.

Edited by Bliss

dont be scared of a bypass - it's often the best option for exbandits because of the reflux issue. I have chronic reflux - thankfully I just take a strong dose of Nexiium but I wish I didn't have to take the extra medication. 

• Like 1

Hi Bliss

I too had my band out, in 2014.  I was banded in 2009 and almost from the beginning I had so many issues just eating real food.  It didn't matter how what, or how slowly I ate or often drank, it appeared that my stomach was closed for business and more often than not it would just come back up.  Amazingly though once it did, it was usually easier to eat after that.  My problem was that we moved interstate about 3 months after banding and I had trouble finding another Dr that I was comfortable with.  I tried to explain what was going on, including my constant burping and he abruptly told me that it was impossible.  In the end I just stopped going, I felt like an absolute failure.  Finally I had the band out and amazingly I did actually lose weight until I seriously injured my knee.  I am now back to my pre-banding weight.  It has only in the last month that I finally realised that I want to get the sleeve and now I just want to get a move on.  I am off to my GP on Thursday to discuss it and hopefully he will refer me.  Hoping to have the sleeve done in February (got to much on before then). 

Good Luck Bliss.  I am excited to see how you go.

Irene