rebanding

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi, I was banded a few years ago, last year it slipped and I had it removed in December last year.  Well now the weight is coming back, I am finding it hard to stick to smaller portions but I do try to do 10,000+ steps most days.  

My BMI is only 26 but this still puts me in the overweight category.  I did get down to approx. 60kg, doctor said 65 was ideal, but already I am back to 72kg.  This worries me as I know how easy it is to regain the weight and don't wish to go back up to 90kg.

Has anyone had a band removed and been rebanded in similar situations.  I doubt that the doctor would consider a sleeve based on my BMI. 

Any feedback would be appreciated

Sorry don't know how to change my status...eg just starting, current weight loss etc.

Edited by gypsyk7
added info

Posted · Report post

I feel for you.  I know that it is scary, depressing and frightening watching the numbers on the scale increase.

No, I know nothing about re-banding.  I wonder if the surgeon would consider Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroscopy?

There is a whole forum on this:  http://www.bandingtogether.com.au/community/topic/18587-esg-endoscopic-sleeve-gastroplasty/

All the best.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Denzel thank you for the information.  Obviously my BMI might be the biggest drawback at the moment, although I don't know what the recommendation is for second surgery.  As obviously the goal is not to regain all the weight that I had lost.  Fingers crossed some-one will know the criteria.

kind regards  gypsyk7

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Hi gypsyk7, 

Personally I'd have a chat to a surgeon and see what your options would be. I've seen a few 2nd time WLS go again because its not about starting BMI but the yo-yo weight gain/loss. If you had lost it all but regained a noticeable amount then chances are you will always struggle to keep the weight off on your own and its used to prevent that. I know one who had the band removed and went for a larger sized sleeve after 2 years and another who had the band removed and got a plication with minimiser ring. Both had a BMI under 30, but had stayed in contact with the clinics dietitian after their bands were removed so I think it was documented. 

There are a lot of options, depending on what your surgeon has experience in but I think its great that you're looking at this proactively

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

thank you Jellybelly89,   I was so happy to have reached my target weight and am now feeling mortified that the weight is coming back.  Will definitely do some research on all the options suggested and discuss further with the doctor.  Congratulations on your weight loss.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Hi Denzel, congratulations on your weight loss and your subsequent surgeries.  I did have my tummy tuck and was so happy with the result.  Just so disappointed that now my weight is going up again and need to address it before I undo all the previous good work.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Hi Denzel, congratulations on your weight loss and your subsequent surgeries.  I did have my tummy tuck and was so happy with the result.  Just so disappointed that now my weight is going up again and need to address it before I undo all the previous good work.

Thank you @gypsyk7  :) 

I can relate to how you are feeling.

All the best.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Hi gypsyk7,

The same thing happened to me my band slipped and I needed to have urgent surgery and it wasn't able to be repositioned and had to be removed, my surgeon seemed to think I may have been able to keep the weight off after the removal but I wasn't and the weight climbed back on I ended up putting on 20 kilos.. so try and nip it in the butt if you want to go for wls again, I have since been rebanded and while it seems a bit slower then the first time my weight seems to still be going down which I'm happy with, I suppose I need to be patient.. not a good quality of mine haha. I have found its a bit better this time around too somethings are different but in a good way. when I went in for the appointment with my surgeon he gave me the option of the sleeve or band which ever I wanted and he encouraged me to go the band again as I was so successful the first time, but in the end he said the choice was mine.

hope this helps good luck with your choice :)

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

thank you to all the people who replied to this.  I had another band on the 2nd November, only lost 4kg so far.  But I guess slow and steady wins the race.  Obviously haven't been very active yet, although I am back at work.  Waiting a little while and hope to get back on the treadmill, not too fast though.