Sign in to follow this  
The Hulk

The 1st week

Howdy friends, well the 1st week after surgery has been uneventful and pretty easy so far. I even washed the car and did a bunch of washing today. I wasn’t sure what expect and I know everyone is different, the 1st night at home (2 days after surgery) I found it hard to lie flat so I propped myself up on a few pillows and I slept well, I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to lie flat no dramas tonight. I don’t want to jinx myself but maybe it’s the universe looking after me for what happened on my 1st attemp?

So a question  to those who’ve already been down this path and I know it’s early days for me, but when does the sipping stop lol, when can you drink without thinking? I reckon concentrating on that has been the hardest thing to remember. 

Ive lost 5kg since Monday and I’m starting to feel it now which is great, that’s why we all did this to begin with :)

• Like 2

Congratulations on your weight loss :) 

Glad your first week has went smoothly. I found sleeping on my back fairly okay too, though as a belly sleeper I couldn't wait until I could roll over lol. 

As for the sipping stage, that is a hard. It gets better and you upgrade to mouthfuls but I find even after 10 weeks I still have trouble drinking anything quickly or more then a couple of mouthfuls at a time. This is annoying especially with my water intake. But you do learn quickly and you learn how to judge how much you can drink at a time. 

• Like 2

Congratulations on your weight loss :) 

Glad your first week has been has went smoothly. I found sleeping on my back fairly okay too, though as a belly sleeper I could wait until I could roll over lol. 

As for the sipping stage, that is a hard. It gets better and you upgrade to mouthfuls but I find even after 10 weeks I still have trouble drinking anything quickly or more then a couple of mouthfuls at a time. This is annoying especially with my water intake. But you do learn quickly and you learn how to judge how much you can drink at a time. 

a mouthful will be fine compared to the dreaded sips lol 

• Like 1

A mouthful is great but I have to admit I do miss taking a big long drink of cold water especially now the weather is warming up lol. 

Well done glad you went okay. Everyone is different i guess i was able to have a mouth full of water 5 weeks out. Still getting used to feeling hungry but only needing a cup of food to be full.. 

Cheers gordon 

Welcome to the sleeved side.

Please take care in the post op period.  You've had major surgery.  You need to let things heal.  The laparoscopy scopes passed through muscle, which can result in pain.  You may feel OK but doesn't mean you have to be superman/woman and try and do things.

• Like 1

As @Nessa1977 .

I gave myself an incisional hernia from doing too much, and had to be operated on later that year (developed post-op complications from that, and readmitted twice to hospital via Emergency - so not worth it!)

I found that I could sleep in my favourite sleeping position (recovery position) if I propped a squishy pillow under my abdomen, and lay on that. 

Graduating from sipping - when it feels comfortable to you :) .

All the best.

• Like 1

Welcome to the sleeved side.

Please take care in the post op period.  You've had major surgery.  You need to let things heal.  The laparoscopy scopes passed through muscle, which can result in pain.  You may feel OK but doesn't mean you have to be superman/woman and try and do things.

Yeah the nurse from my Surgeon's clinic pretty much said the same thing today, I wasn't trying to be a hero, I just found it easy and trust me if something felt like it hurt I would stop doing it altogether. 

• Like 2

Great to hear you are doing so well.  But do take care, you have internal stitches and you don't want to give yourself a hernia after the surgery.  I am now 4 months post op and I can drink mouthfuls of water, but I have learned my limit.  I used to be able to skull a whole bottle of water but those days are long gone.  I particularly dislike not being able to have a sip of something while I am eating.  But you just have to take time and see what feels comfortable.  Right now you stomach is healing and so take it easy on it.   I also slept with a pillow propped up next to my stomach and it was some time before I could sleep on my belly like I prefer.  Even lying on my side was hard work for a few weeks.  But it goes by really fast.  You will see

• Like 2

Just had my 1st purée meal. Mashed spuds and beef stroganoff all blitzed up. So bloody good, I was getting sick of broth/soup

• Like 2

You should try blitzed up lasagne, god that was good when I had that as one of my  puree meals lol

• Like 1