Queenies

My first consultation is tomorrow morning!

Hi all,

I have my first consultation tomorrow and I am very nervous. I have major depression and anxiety and I don't leave the house alone, unless I go to the corner shop. I got so far backed into a corner that I could only leave the house with my partner or somebody else (so to say I am nervous is an understatement, leaving the house is scary enough) I finally had no choice but to seek professional help for fear I was going to end up dead, I was too scared to be left alone. Seeing my GP, a psychologist, medication and meditation have helped me a lot over the last two years. But I need my life back and this sleeve surgery is my next step... So this is where i am at now.

My 12 month health cover waiting period is up on the 16th of February. I am hoping to book in surgery tomorrow and start the Pre op diet asap regardless of when the surgery is booked for.

I just found this forum and I am feeling a lot better now hearing other people's thoughts/stories. I just stumbled across this forum because I was trying to decide between Optislim and Optifast. I decided on buying some Optislim tomorrow. My partner is very supportive and is going to struggle through the same diet as me even though he isn't having surgery. 

I understand my mental health is an issue at the moment, I am wondering if this will effect the surgeons opinion tomorrow in my consultation? I know you need to be prepared for what's to come and be mentally strong. I feel I am ready though and I know what's involved/ what I would have to do. I have already had a very HARD few years, seeking professional help was one the hardest things I've had to do. I still have a long way to go and this surgery isn't going to be easy at all. But i'm still here fighting and I think I CAN do it. 

Any advice is appreciated, I just thought writing down some of my current thoughts at the moment would help ease the nerves a little.

• Like 1

Hi @Queenies, and welcome to the forum.

You have certainly had an incredibly rough run, and it is apparent that you actually have a very strong 'self' to have survived it and sought out help for you to do so.

I can only wish you all the best for the future - whether or not you go ahead and have WLS in the near future, the distant future, or even not at all. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind words @denzel

I certainly feel a lot stronger these days than when I initially sought help. I've had a lot of time to reflect and think about sleeve surgery this year as I've had the 12 month waiting period. I was completely against it at first because I wanted to be able to do it all on my own. I was being pressured by a family member when they first found out about my mental health issues as if it will solve ALL my issues. I decided to focus on myself instead as I wasn't feeling mentally strong at all at this point. Through therapy I managed to leave the house and walk to the local park. I built up my walking times to 1hr+ sessions about 4+ times a week or so. I eventually stopped somehow and ended up right back where I started and afraid to leave the house again. So I know it's more of a last resort for me at this time. 

I will have an update tomorrow!

Any one have any similar issues? If so how have you coped post op dealing with anxiety/depression?

I don't feel like losing weight will solve all my issues but I know it will definitely help me with my anxiety. I am strangely looking forward to what the future may hold for me instead of dredding it. 

• Like 1

Hi Queenies.  I've been wondering how your appointment went, and I have a feeling that it didn't go as you would have liked.  Am I correct?

Thinking of you. 

Hi Denzel,

The appointment actually went really well. Thanks for asking. I'm booked in for Surgery on the 21st of March. I have an appointment with the physician on the 23rd February to organise the pre op diet. It's all very real now and I've spent that last couple of days doing some more research and trying to organise a few things. I'm nervous for the surgery but only because I don't want to be in hospital etc. I know this will be hard, but now that the surgery is booked I feel relieved. I am looking forward to what my future may hold. It feels like forever away because I'm so focused on it. I need some distractions!

• Like 2

Absolutely fantastic @Queenies!  Believe me, the 21st March will be here before you know it! 

• Like 1

I'm sure it will go pretty fast. I'm just done waiting now. :)

• Like 1

Hi Queenies I just got my surgery date and I’m booked in for March 21st as well! How exciting. I also have anxiety and dealt with bouts of depression. Unfortunately the genes are in my family and I have been using my weight for a very log time as little cocoon. I feel half my coping mechanism was keeping a layer of fat around me to use as an excuse for a very long time. Here’s hoping that everything goes smoothly. 

One thing I have found helpful is absolutely trawling and lurking through all these forums. I have also started making lists of all the things I want to do once I reach certain weights os Doodling things into my bullet journal which I only started this year has also helped immensely. Rather than focusing on what ifs. 

One thing I would would recommend is speaking to the anaesthetist about your anxiety as well I know they can usually give you something before the main drugs to help calm you down a little bit as I was concerned about having a panic attack like the last time I did before I went under general :) 

• Like 3

Hi Queenies and welcome to the forum. What an incredible journey you've had to get to this point in your life. Your story will strike a chord with many of the readers of your post as unfortunately being overweight and suffering from depression go hand in hand for too many people. The decision to undergo weight loss surgery is never easy but there are so many examples on this  forum of people who have turned their lives around. My advice is always to take advantage of the expertise offered by your surgeon's support team;don't be afraid to ask questions, call or email if unsure or in need of reassurance or advice. Nearly 2 years post surgery and I still see the dietician every 2 - 3 months to make sure I stay on track.

The 23rd of February will be here before you know it and then you only have another month to wait for your surgery. Stay strong and keep us posted with your progress. And don't hesitate to ask for advice through the members on this forum. We all had very supportive members around us when we began our weight loss journeys.

• Like 2

I take an SSRI which is an antidepressant and anti-anxiety medication but discovered that I couldn’t take it in capsule form for the first couple of weeks after surgery. So I went to my GP to get something else to take instead as, I’m sure you know, you can’t jut stop taking them ... and I’d had previous bad experiences with missing just a couple of days of meds, as well.

Anyway, the GP gave me a different antidepressant that I could grind down but it didn’t include anti-anxiety properties and after 2 days I was having anxiety attacks constantly. I was really upset and disappointed at the GP as well (and have since changed doctor’s). My husband got online and discovered that I could open the capsule my “normal” med comes in, and take the granules in liquid instead. Crisis averted, and within about 4-5 weeks I was back to taking the capsule as normal.

I hope my experience helps you figure this stuff out prior to a week or so before surgery, as one good friend said “the last thing you should do when doing something that causes anxiety, is stop taking anti-anxiety medication”! Doh! 

All the best to Queenie and Katie! It’s certainly the best thing I have done for myself. 

• Like 2

@Katieapoos Oh wow, the same day! Will be interesting to compare progress with you if we get the chance. That's awesome though, congrats to you also for taking this step. I agree with you, combing through the forum on here and reading up on it has helped me a lot as well. I'm not as nervous as I first was and as long as we stick to all the instructions I'm sure things will go smoothly. Writing things/goals down in a journal is a great idea, especially if you've suffered bouts of depression also. I might start doing the same thing. 

Thanks for the advice about the anesthetist, I didn't know you could do that and I will definitely be asking them if I feel I need something.

Good luck to you on the start of your WLS journey. :)

@Millymollymandy Thank you so much, everyone on here is so very supportive. I haven't told many people so it's nice to get support from here. I know someone that has had the surgery as well and I have asked them heaps of questions also. I will probably write up a list of questions to ask for my next appointment as I'm sure I will forget them when I'm there. I am very nervous meeting new doctors and having to tell my story and explain a few things. Its refreshing to have a special team there that has seen so many similar patients with whom have also suffered depression and anxiety. Not all doctors understand unfortunately and I've left many a times in tears. My I started getting teary eyed with my consultation with the surgeon and he just looked at me and said 'Don't cry, it's ok' and I just managed to hold it in and relax a little. :)

@BusyLizzie Thanks for your advice, I might book in an appointment with my GP to discuss before my next appointment at the surgeons. Mine is a tablet which I assume I will be able to crush. I'm also on two other tablets that I will need to be able to crush as well. I totally understand you changing doctors, you need someone who you are comfortable with over time and doesn't cause the extra stress for you. I see a new or another doctor when mine is off and my blood pressure rises to a ridiculous amount, they never believe me when I say I am just freaking out over it and try to up my medication or something. I  see my normal GP and it's always normal now, took a long time to get to that point, Ha! I always end up leaving the doctors in tears or something. I have moved and when I'm desperate I will see a doctor near me, otherwise my partner has to take me 40+ mins to see my old GP. My psychologist is also that far away and I haven't seen her now in ages because she has changed her hours so that sucks. I ended up getting a rescue cat and have found it's helped me sooo much. :)

• Like 1

I finally got some Tanita scales yesterday. Going to need them now, it was much easier not worrying about it if there wasn't any in the house. Haha

I wonder how accurate they are, according to the scales I've lost two kilos since I saw the surgeon just from cutting out alcohol, soft drinks etc. Will be very interesting when I start the shakes. I'm thinking about starting them next week even though my appointment to discuss them isn't until Feb 23rd. Does it matter if you are on them for a longer period? I assume the more weight lost the better. The test will be doing it for that long though. I got my Opti shakes yesterday and had one for dinner last night and will do the same tonight. I tried some Almond milk and fat free soy milk and I've decided on the soy to use from now on with my morning weetbix/ cooking, good amount of protein! I've been been blending fruit with kale, spinach etc for quite a while now and having for either breakfast or lunch to also get me used to liquid diet etc. I'm trying to slowly make changes so I'm not overwhelmed with everything. I aim to make this a big lifestyle change instead of ending up back at square one. 

I have a friend who had the surgery two years ago, they got to 70% of their goal weight and have gone back to bad eating/drinking habits. I really want to avoid this happening. I know it can be very easy to slip back into it though. I just hope by doing all these little changes now that it makes me better prepared. 

Next thing i'm going to organise is multivitamins and minerals. I want to buy some Biotin on top of that as well. Should I buy protein now? Or wait and see what the doctor thinks on the 23rd. My friend who has had the surgery never had protein on top of what he was eating and only had multivitamins for a year. I don't see how you get enough of it by eating so little. 

- Queenies. :)

• Like 2

39 days til surgery! Getting there...

It's all I can think about because I don't have much else going on. I see the doctor in 2 weeks to discuss pre op diet but I have already started it this week which means I'll be on it for about 6 weeks. I'm down 3 kgs this week already and down 3 more since seeing the surgeon on 9/1. 6kg, with 39 days til surgery..not bad. My goal was to lose 10 kgs before surgery and I think I'll smash that by next week. Feeling optimistic, which is something I don't normally feel.

I've managed to walk about 18kms this week so far and got out of the house which is rare. I am also volunteering for a cat rescue, taking photos and updating online ads. I've also filled out an application to volunteer at a local pet store after surgery. I need to get my life back on track and I feel like I've jumped a few steps forward this year already. My depression and anxiety don't own me anymore, I'm fighting back with everything I have.

I got engaged over Christmas so here's to 2018 being my year! 

• Like 5

Good on you Queenies

I am booked in for surgery on the 26th Feb.  I'm on four weeks of Opti and am currently on day 5 week two.  I lost 3.1 the first week, but so far this week have only lost .8kg, not sure why as I have been extraordinarily good, even with water.  Anyway hopefully I will manage at least 7-8kgs over the four weeks. 

Keep up the good work with the Pre-op and the walking.  March will come around so quickly. 

• Like 1

Congratulations Queenies on your engagement. Wow time is moving quickly for us. Not long to go now. I see my dietician on March 3rd to discuss the preop phase. I’ve started having a protein shake in the morning as I now do a 5km walk every morning so I hope that’s going to prep me. 

Hopefully the presurgery jitters have been replaced with excitement now ! 

• Like 1

@Irene B

Thanks for the encouragement! You sound like you're doing very well, congratulations on the weight lost so far. Wishing you all the best for Feb 26th!

@Katieapoos

Thanks so much! It was a lovely surprise and just extra motivation for me.

Yep, not long to go now! The protein shakes are a great idea. I was doing something similar then my shakes turned up and I said screw it I'm starting it earlier.

Great job with the walking, I've been listening to Harry Potter audiobooks to get me through mine. 

Definitely more excited now and happy with my current progress.

All the best, 

Queenies.

Hey all,

Oh my! The day is almost here. I go in on Weds and I'm getting more nervous as the days go by. I'm also just happy that it's finally here too... I'm more nervous at the thought of being in hospital and near strangers than the thought of surgery. Hopefully I can go home after two days, fingers crossed.

About 16kg down now and prepared as I'll ever be. Eeeeek.

- Queenies. 

• Like 1

OMG you are amazing. You go girl :) Good Luck with your op you will breeze through keep your spirits up and keep positive and tell yourself everything is OK.

• Like 1

How exciting!!  Just remember to be kind to yourself and your poor body after surgery.  Don't stress about the numbers, they'll reduce by themselves.  Best of luck for Wednesay!!

• Like 1