AngeMac

Lap band removal

Hi everyone - I have had my lap band for 10 years now and I'm soooo sick of it!! I haven't lost any weight at all and I'm really over having stuck moments!! I have no fill in at all and I still have dramas with it. I really regret having the surgery in the first place - I know some people have had great success with it but not for me sadly - I really want it out and I'm just wondering a) what health funds will cover the removal; and b ) any surgeons in Melbourne that you can recommend. Would really appreciate any info anyone has - thanks in advance :-) 

I know Defence Health covers bariatric surgery because my lapband removal a month ago was covered - it was not a break up but a sad parting of ways as it has been a very successful tool for me.  Not sure if a new one is on the cards until I see my surgeon next week.  

Did you have it put in privately?  Or does your health fund now not cover bariatrics?

As for surgeons, I find the Centre for Bariatric surgery marvellous.

• Like 1

Yes I had it put in privately and I had health insurance then but I no longer have insurance. I'm going to have to sign up again but I will check out Defence Health - and I will look at the Centre for Bariatric Surgery.

Thanks so much for that!

All health funds will cover the removal, its just selecting the right level :) As long as it shows the policy is covered for Bariatrics you'd be right, then the 12 month wait. 

I'd get PHI quickly, then look at surgeons so you can do all of the pre-work leading up to surgery so you can do it asap after the 12 month wait finishes