Sign in to follow this  
Millymollymandy

A Whinge About Clothes Sizes

I just need to a have a little whinge, really a BIG whinge about the lack of consistency in clothing sizes. I currently have in my wardrobe tops and bottoms that range from size 12 to size 20 and they all fit me beautifully, and I'm not referring to plus sizes versus regular sizes. All these items of clothing are so called regular sizes. How can this be?

I very reluctantly bought a size 18 suit jacket today. I almost didn't buy it because my vanity kicked in at the thought of wearing size 18, but I really loved the jacket and it was exactly what I have been looking for. I often look at lovely items of clothing online and I check the sizing info on the sites, but I am sick and tired of sending ill fitting clothing back and having to pay the damn return costs.

Why isn't there a standard bloody sizing in Australia?

Does anyone else out there share my frustration?

Molly

• Like 1

.........because they're all made in China?  ;)  I think the size label are just a random thing to sew into garments.  You run out of size14?  Just sew in whatever label that's handy even it's a 26!  I just try on before i buy and I have anything from 14 -18 that all fit!  I just have learnt to ignore the  numbers and go by what it looks like on.  I have had the same probs with online and just don't bother any more. :( 

• Like 3

I totally agree!

And as a home seamstress, there is a vast difference in sizing between paper patterns, and purchased clothes. SO important to carefully measure first prior to purchasing paper pattern! 

And then there is vanity sizing, e.g. Emerson brand in Big W :( .

There should be standardised sizing world wide.

WOMENSWEAR size guide.docx

• Like 2

I totally agree!

And as a home seamstress, there is a vast difference in sizing between paper patterns, and purchased clothes. SO important to carefully measure first prior to purchasing paper pattern! 

And then there is vanity sizing, e.g. Emerson brand in Big W :( .

There should be standardised sizing world wide.

WOMENSWEAR size guide.docx

Ah yes!  A size 18 in Rockmans is a size 14 in Be Me (their 'big'size store.)  All to fool our brains!

• Like 1

It's not just women's clothing but kids too and shoe sizing. My almost 5 year old wears a size 10. She can fit size 7 or 8 but because she's tall and not super skinny (she's leaned out and I would call her slim) a 7 or 8 top or dress is super short on her (especially dresses). She can still fit size 8 leggings but they're starting to look a little Mr Bean on her. Her shoe size is approx a kids size 12 already and I dread her outgrowing the kids shoes because a lot of the junior shoes are inappropriate for her age. 

I'm mainly a size 18 - bras, knickers, leggings, tops and dresses but I guarantee if it was jeans I would be much bigger. I bought a cropped white 3/4 sleeve white denim jacket from Crossroads in December and was shocked to need a size 22. In Asian sizes I'm a xxxxl however I bought a gorgeous skirt and it's a one size fits most yet somehow it fits me perfectly when generally I'd have no hope of fitting something like that. 

This is why I won't buy online as a rule. 

I found this somewhat disturbing.  By doing vanity sizing, it is just burying one's head in the sand and being in denial.

Newspaper school uniforms.jpg

I wish I knew how to sew. I find it almost impossible in Perth to find anything 18+ that fits comfortable, looks good and lasts more than one wash. I'm glad I'm getting my sleeve in April because I'm one step away from cutting holes in a doonah cover for my head arms and legs. Honestly I don't think anyone would notice, 

I have long been a subscriber to "vanity sizing", just in case some random person happened to see my tag. BUT (only just this week actually) I finally cottoned on to the realisation that people know how big I am by looking at me! It was a pretty profound moment. Depressing, but profound nonetheless. F%$k the size of the clothes - it's whatever feels comfortable and makes you feel great. But I agree, now that we're getting clothes online, it's getting ever harder to find that right size x