Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Offering a different perspective

4 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hello everyone.

I was booked in to have a LSG done on the 20th of October 2017. Two weeks prior to that date, two significant things happened;

1) I started the Optifast: Intense program.

2) I watched a video of a Bypass procedure.

I was already a fence-sitter for the preceding twelve months. I convinced myself that the only way I would go ahead with the procedure, is if I went into it with blinkers on (ignorance is bliss!). This worked through consultations with my surgeon, blood tests, even a gastroscopy, etc, all the way up to 2 weeks out from my date. This is when I came across the video of the full bypass procedure on Facebook. The blinkers were thrown off and I was no longer partially ignorant to the process that lay ahead.

I clearly remember that I was three days into Optifast, my energy levels were high and my cravings were waning. Ketosis had kicked in and I was operating with boundless energy and enthusiasm. Upon watching that video, I had an epiphany, a moment of pure clarity; how had it come to this? I didn't want my insides messed with. It suddenly seemed entirely unnatural and violating. There was only one course of action after this slap in the face of reality; I would give weight loss one final, honest, red-hot crack.

I read the Optifast booklet completely, several times. I learned their methods and rules. I followed them - strictly. The truth is, I was running from a fear that I didn't wish to revisit. I was choosing not to live that reality. I joined Optifast groups, shared recipes, learned new ones and refined my craft. After twelve weeks; the maximum recommended duration for intense phase; I was 30.2kg lighter. From 126kg to 95.8kg. It had become so routine to me, that when I transitioned to Active II stage (by force), I actually missed the three-shakes-a-day Intense stage. 

I spent the next five weeks on Active II stage, still losing a further 4.8kg. Then I went back on Intense stage, to lose the final 5kg needed to hit my original, surgery-assisted goal.

That was two weeks ago. In two days time, I will weigh in at 86kg. Down 40kg from 126kg in 19 weeks.

I just wanted to share this to show to people who may be on the fence, with doubts and fears, that there's nothing wrong with having another go at it the old fashioned way. The WLS industry is not going anywhere - they will always be there for you. They may even be better at what they do in the future.

You always have a choice and the strength to achieve goals.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Oh gosh as a fellow fence sitter this has completely thrown me off !Due to have surgery 20/2/18 fully paid and a week into my 2wk pre op diet (of which I’m not doing terribly well at) 

So many reservations ugh

Posted · Report post

@MadamImAdam - that is outstanding!!!  Wishing you al the best fr the future.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Wow that’s amazing, well done to you! Im not really a fence sitter, I really want to go forward with the procedure and look forward to being only able to eat a small amount of food post op down the track. I don’t have a lot of will power but it seems I’ve found some for my pre op stage (day 4) I wonder how many people cheat and get to surgery and the surgeon can tell? I guess I feel it’s in my best interest to do the right thing for the procedure to go without incident.  I admire people who can stick to a diet (way of life) and stay at their goal weights but in the past I’ve been up and down and currently been at my heaviest, so looking forward to a big change. 

Edited by Spoodygirl
1 person likes this